Roof mount or boot mount bike carrier?

Trev71
Trev71 Posts: 46
edited September 2009 in The workshop
Hi All,

I could use some advice on whether a roof mount or boot mount bike carrier is best. I have a Mondeo hatch and the carrier will be in use virtually every day, so something that can be left on the car permanently, or is quick to remove would be an advantage.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Trev,

A rear mounted one is really only for one-off long journeys IMO. I've got one, and its straps hook on under the bumper so you have to kneel down to undo them to open the boot and do them up again when you've shut the boot, and to take it off you have to unthread the top straps which go through the top of the hatch. It would be completely impractical to leave it on on a permanent basis. Plus, of course, you can't access the boot at all when the bikes are on it, except from the inside of the car if you take out the rear shelf.

Disadvantages of a roof mounted one are it's higher to lift the bikes up, and clearance for car parks/garages etc

Ian
  • choirboy
    choirboy Posts: 132
    Thule rooftop ones are the dogs proverbial. Piece of cake to adjust and nice and secure. Boot mounted ones just get in the way too much.

I use have two of these permanently on the car and can fit four on a Passat for holidays: http://www.roofrackshop.co.uk/bike/ProR ... ain-rs.JPG
  • I would agree with choirboy, roof mounted racks are better. I have the Halfords own brand racks which I have owned for about seven years and work very well. The only point I would make is that it is worth taking them off when you are not using them as they make a surprising difference to fuel consumption. Something to do with airflow and aerodynaimcs I guess.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Tow bar mounted followed by Roof mounted.

the strap one rear mounted are a pain in the butt.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Downwardi
    Downwardi Posts: 132
    We have some £17 Automaxi Rood bar mounted Bike Carriers.
    They do the trick - Upto 15kg they say. Nice and creaky !!
    FCN 8 Hybrid
    FCN 4 Roadie
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    We have the Thule Proride 951 roof mounted carriers. Bikes go on really easily, with no need to take off any wheels. Would recommend.

If you go for the roof option, don't go driving into any height-restricted carparks.... :?
  • Is there anyway to stop the roof-bars and in particular the Thule Aerobars from being so noisy on a car?

I've got a set and they make a rather loud whistling noise even at low speeds.

Any tips anyone?

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • Bill Gates wrote:
    Is there anyway to stop the roof-bars and in particular the Thule Aerobars from being so noisy on a car?

I've got a set and they make a rather loud whistling noise even at low speeds.

Any tips anyone?

Seems to depend on the car. On my old car they (Thule non-areo) were quiet, on the current car (Passat estate) they do the whole whistling thing.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Bill Gates
    fitted all the blanking pieces? even the ones on the underside?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Bill Gates

Tell me more about these blanking pieces? I don't seem to have any of those! :o

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • Bill Gates wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Bill Gates

Tell me more about these blanking pieces? I don't seem to have any of those! :o

+1 me neither....
  • I bought a tow bar unit a couple of years back and it is superb, quick to put on and no marks on the car, has not significant effect on fuel economy either. They do cost a bit but come up on Ebay regularly when people get cars without towbars.
  • Also interested in getting a carrier for a Focus hatchback.

Would be for occasional use and taking bikes on family holidays to France. Have roof box for that so looking rear mounted. Don't currently have a tow bar but could get one fitted when I get my car services next month.

What advantage do tow bar carriers have over the boot mounted?

With the Focuses high light position I guess I'll be looking at a rear light / number board...

Regards

Neil