End 2 End (Isle of Man)

montevideoguy
montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
edited January 2010 in XC and Enduro
Hey people,
Has anyone entered this at all or have experience of this in the past? I've signed up and will be my first attempt at any sort of event. Needless to say I'm curious if I can manage it, if my bike can manage it and what gear I should take to get me through it. Also if anyone knows (I've mailed them with no answer yet) where they do bike pick up as ideally I'd want to stay in Douglas but if they do this from Ramsay I'll need to change plans.

http://www.manxe2e.org/categories/view/3
Formally known as Coatbridgeguy

Comments

• boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    Hi Coatbridgeguy. I've only done one 75km MTB marathon in Wales, and it was hell! Prepare for the toughest physical challenge you've ever done, and I'm sure you won't be dissapointed.

I'm also signed up for the IOM, and here are some of my thoughts:

- Bike: carbon hardtail (a lightweight full susser would I think be ideal; don't take anything that weighs more than about 12kg or it will be very hard going on the climbs)
    - Tyres: A low profile tyre should be best for this distance (eg Schwalbe Racing Ralph), though if its wet, I might go for something a bit more grippy on the front.
    - Hydration: 750ml water bottle (camelbacks are great, but you have the weight on your back and legs all day long, which is very tiring; be sure to drink more at stopping points).
    - Food: big meusli style breakfast, a few energy bars in jersey and some recovery stuff for afterwards (topping up at feeding stations as needed).
    - Other: tyre levers, and some form of puncture repair / pump (haven't quite decided which yet), maybe a spare tube and multitool (in a small saddle pack), possibly a mobile.

As far as I know, the pickup is in Douglas as per the website: http://www.manxe2e.org/categories/view/3

Some serious training is also definitely needed - the Merida marathon site is quite handy for this: http://www.mtb-marathon.co.uk/training/training.php

Hope that's helpful. I'd also really welcome any other advice from other readers! Many thanks!
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • montevideoguy
    Thanks for the info. My bike is a Scott Aspect 20 and is borderline 12/13kg (by website). Some handy tips there for sure. Will look at the merida site. Douglas pickup is ideal as (thanks to wife I get hilton staff rates). I have just started to do some runs on bike (averaging about 20km on road so far) and think I can get this up to sandard for September.

Time will tell :D
  • boneyjoe
    Hi there. The road stuff is good, but I honestly think off-road is twice as hard, so suggest you start building up that side too. Also include some pretty decent hill climbs in the month or so before the event - they'll hurt (a lot!), but you'll be grateful on the day! :D

Have you seen they now have 900 people pre-entered? The limit is 1000. The start should be interesting, and I'd expect a bit of a queue for the first singletrack bit!
  • montevideoguy
    To give you an idea of my level I hadn't ridden in about 12 years up until 2 months ago :D

Going up Milgavie on Sat to try a loop there.. That merida guide certainly looks like a handy resource to use (thanks again).
    I think striking the balance between on and off-road is key.

The number was at 900 when I entered so I'm wondering if they'll managed to squeeze everyone on within this 7hrs they mention on the site

Edit: One thing I'd add would be if it's worth using SPDs for this? Currently just been on the flat pedeals that came with bike but if it would make a huge difference then it's worth taking the plunge as early as..
  • Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    You pay for the pickup or not when you enter. The collection point isn't far from the Hilton, so you're sorted there. They're good with the bikes, all packed nice with cardboard deviders. Your bike sounds fine, make sure you've got extra tubes though. There's plenty of water tables but food can be scarce especially now there's 1,000 entered, so make sure you bring enough.

Tyre choice is tricky, depends what the weathers done up to the event. I live on the island, feel free to pm me before the event for a ground report!

You definately want to get some off road training in. It's a tough course, there's a couple of big climbs. General wisdom seems to say it's about 4 times the effort of the same distance on the road.

Can't imagine what the starts going to be like, its a tiny road to fit a thousand mountain bieks on!

Personally think spd's are worth it, particularly on the long climbs.

There's a forum for discussing the event here:
    http://manxroadclub.proboards.com/index ... scountryen
  • John Moore
    John Moore Posts: 580
    There ia a long flat tarmac section to split the riders up before the first hill. Be warned don't race too fast at the start if your not up to it gor the whole route as the start of the first hill is a killer (just after the bus stop on the left hand corner).

As for a traffice jam at the first section of singletrack - What singletrack? if you can call it that it's near the halfway point isn't it?

See you in Douglas the night before
  • manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    The first single track I can think of is past halfway, The section after the first climb is quite rutted, so there are definite lines that you can take, but there is more than one line most of the time.

For tires, i wouldn't recomend something too light and thin. Some of the sections are very rocky and it would not be fun to end up with a ripped sidewall.
  • boneyjoe
    Thanks very much for the advice guys. Think I'll leave the racing ralph tyres and go for something a bit stronger. Saw a video on youtube yesterday, and there do seem to be lots of sharp rocks about!

For hydration, I was just planning to take a 750ml waterbottle, and then top up / drink a bit more at the feed stations as needed. Should that be ok, or is it best to carry a bit more?
  • John Moore
    boneyjoe wrote:
    For hydration, I was just planning to take a 750ml waterbottle, and then top up / drink a bit more at the feed stations as needed. Should that be ok, or is it best to carry a bit more?

You'll need at least a 2ltr camelback in normal conditions, if it's hot you'll need more.

I'll be riding with the above and a water bottle on the frame, drinking and topping up from this and using the 2ltr on my back as a back up as it takes time to re fill at the drinks stops.
  • John Moore
    Also if you've paid extra for a lift to the start and from the end you don't need your car on the island, go over as a foot passenger and a big ruck sack as bikes travel free.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    If you want to stay with flats try these power grips straps as an alternative http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 1&f%5Fbct=
    I hated spds (kept falling off/nearly castrating myself!!)and bought these instead.HAd them a year now and they have been excellent.You have the same feel as being clipped in but can get out much easier.They give you the extra power up hills as do spds.Another advantage is you can use any shoe and a quick adjuct with an allen key to set the strap and away you go.I think they originate in USA and there are reviews if you need them.If you don't like them they have only cost you £20 but once you try them you will like them I'm sure.
  • boneyjoe
    Does anyone know if there will be food stalls at the finish? Or is it best to ensure you have your own food available? I find a good meal right after a race does wonders! :D
  • John Moore
    Read the instructions on the web site. I'm taking a bag with a name tag on it with dry clothes and food in it to the start. There you put it on a van and they even take it to the end for you.

Great arn't they? 8)
  • boneyjoe
    Will there be any drink / food available at the 3rd checkpoint? Doesn't mention this on the website - they just say cups of drink at 1st; more drink and energy bars at 2nd. Thks.
  • Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    boneyjoe wrote:
    Thanks very much for the advice guys. Think I'll leave the racing ralph tyres and go for something a bit stronger. Saw a video on youtube yesterday, and there do seem to be lots of sharp rocks about!

I did the 'pre end to end' ride yesterday, the course is very wet, almost rivers running down some sections, so be prepared to get wet if the weather doesn't improve.

You need some good puncture resistance, lots of sharp stone sections, couple of the guys yesterday got punctures including one slashed sidewall on a set of brand new tyres.

Hydration: depends on the heat of course, but it depends on if you stop or not. I found a full 2l camelback was about right, but you could get away with less if you're happy to spend the time to top up at the feed stations.

You can't rely on the food provided, it might be there, it might not, need to sort yourself out really. There's a couple of supermarkets not far away from the finish if you're dying at the end!

Looking forward to it, but hope we get some dry weather to sort the course out. Some sections weren't even ridable yesterday. I'm worried about the numbers too, there's plenty of very narrow sections, 1,000 riders, if you get stuck behind a slow guy on some of the climbs, you'll lose a lot of time.
  • Hi Slimbods
    This is my 1st Mountain bike challenge, could you give us a little more detail on the course please. I know its going to be really tough!! Thanks.
  • Excellent, thanks Slimbods - much appreciated. Cycled with my brother-in-law, who is also doing this, for the first time on the weekend. He's an ex-rugby player, weighing in at 97-98kg, and his idea of training comprises a few games of squash and cycling a couple of miles to his local golf driving range over so often. Have never cycled so slowly in my life! Think its going to be a very long day...
  • Boneyjoe: There's plenty of 'normal' people who do the end to end as a social, so you'll be in good company.

Snowqueen: The course starts off on country roads, pretty flat for about the first 3rd of the distance, then the first climb is one of the worst of the day, a very steep lane that turns into a rocky track that's barely ridable at the top. I don't think many but the very fastest will be riding this due to the numbers. After that you get rutted mooreland/heather/grass, farm tracks, rocky fire roads, the odd bridge, some boardwalk sections, plantations and depending on the weather a bit more road.

It's looking very damp, so expect lots of mud and running water.
  • Thanks again - glad to hear we'll be in good company! Just also wondering if you know if the cut-off times will be the same as last year, or might they move back a bit due to the numbers?
  • DAFF are currently working on making the really boggy areas (the ones that would simply be too rutted to ride) rideable. We were up at the Sloc (towards the end of the course) on Monday moving wood for a short boardwalk section.
    Although it's hammering down here at the moment, we are hoping that the next 10 days or so are a little less moist to allow some of the standing water to run-off.

It's all still rideable at the moment although I look forward to seeing it after the 999 riders in front of me have mashed it all up :P
  • Thanks Slimbod, looking forward to it in a perverse way as I'm sure there will be a fair bit of pain on my behalf. Hope it dries up, but will be ready for the worse!!
    Have a great ride. Snowqueen.
  • Anyone know what happens if you don't make one of the cut-off times? Is there transport to the finish or Douglas for any that don't make it? I'm really concerned about my (rather unfit) brother-in-law, as I'm determined to finish, and I'm worried about "abandoning" him on some remote spot (especially if he's totally pooped and its cold, raining etc). He might never talk to me again!
  • Actually, just spotted this on the E2E website, which at least partly answers my question.

Retiring from the event:
    If you are unable to continue or decide that you will not reach the time cut-offs, you may have to retire. After St John’s (checkpoint 2) the course gets much harder and it is more difficult to get back to town safely. If you are struggling at checkpoint 2 you should consider your fitness to go on. The marshals may advise you to reconsider. There is an easy ride back to Douglas along the old railway track from St John’s. If you fail to make the cut-off (13.30) this will be your best line of retreat. If you are retiring, please go to the next checkpoint and tell them you are retiring or wait for the sweeper marshals (on motorbikes) who are bringing up the rear and advise them. Alternatively, you can send a text message to the central control number that is on the label attached to your race number. Note that mobile reception is patchy in the second half of the route.
  • How did everyone on here do yesterday?

I got 76th place in 3hr 44mins
  • Not anywhere near as well as I wanted to do I'm afraid. Somewhere near the bottom with a dismal 6hr 18min.

In my defence, I lost around 30mins before CP1 at Ballaugh. Stopped to help a lady who had snapped a chain (somehow) on the road before Jurby. This cost us around 25mins and meant we crossed CP1 in dead last.
    Then stopped again at the bottom of Ballacobb to lend my chain splitter and 2 spare links to some guy who had given up and was coming the other way.

Without stoppages, would have been a much more respectable time (for me), but I would have felt guilty all the way if I hadnt stopped to help. And a finish is a finish right?

John, werent you the guy on the Singlespeed, you nutter :wink:

I assume you were the first singlespeed over the line?

I am delighted that I replaced my rear tube with a 5mm thick armoured tube before the event though, when I got home and washed off all the mud, I found not 1, not 2, but 3 seperate tears in the sidewall of the rear Fire XC Pro.

My seatpost needs replacing.

The lockout on my forks is now broken.

My chain needs replacing.

My rear wheel is very slightly buckled.

I have taken a nice big chunk out of the bottom of my left hand crank arm from a rock strike.

Still had an amazing day though.

Going for a sub 5hr time next year :D

Oh, AND, in addition to all this. If anyone lost a pump on the way round, let me know. I picked one up and will be only too happy to post it to you if it's yours.
  • No I was geared but fully rigid, it was my mate Bonzo who single speeded it he finished in 4hr 4mins
  • John Moore wrote:
    How did everyone on here do yesterday?

I got 76th place in 3hr 44mins

85th, 4hrs 8 min. It was hot!

Could have been a bit faster, but my quck release on the front wheel wouldn't stay tight, so the front wheel was rattling round. Made the last descent past the new boardwalks a bit hairy!
  • I don't know what position I came in, but I must have been near the back. I injured my knee using SPD's (they were positioned wrong) on the wednesday before the ride. I thought the pain had gone, but about 30 miles into the race I was in agony.
    I managed to push the remaining 12 miles to the end though, and my knee was a bit better, so managed to cycle up the hill at the end (My God, who put the end up there!!??!) and even overtook quite a few people :twisted:
    6hrs 32mins. Roll on next year, I recon I can get less than 5 hours!
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Cat With No Tail What shirt were you wearing? I think I may have seen you at the start as I recognised the bike, but thought it couldn't be you as I thought you were in Blackpool
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Hi there - I was 207th in 4:14 - was well on time for a sub 4hrs at St. Johns, but then hit by terrible cramp over the last 15km. Went with the Racing Ralphs and scimpy race innertubes btw, which at 40psi were absolutely fine - no punctures. Could have done with a bit more grip on the front though in some places. Great event - will definitely return for another go when possible!