The Mary Towneley Loop

ClimbBoy
ClimbBoy Posts: 105
edited September 2009 in Routes
Hi all

I will be doing the Mary Towneley Loop on the Lancs and Yorks borders in September this year for the charity my wife works for:

http://www.nmcentre.com/

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/pennineb ... ?PageId=37

I will be looking at doing the whole route (75km) in one day and would appreciate any tips from those who have done it or parts of it.

Starting with: clockwise or anticlockwise???

Any help would be appreciated as it's for a really good cause.

Thanks,

James

Comments

• marcaudsley
    marcaudsley Posts: 187
    Did it last year and hopefully again this year

http://www.rpmrt.org.uk/eventdetail.php?EventID=5

Went clockwise last year and other way this year. It was very hard, lots of tough climbs but some great descents.
    I would recommend a full suss as my experience of a hardtail last year is quite gruesome.
    Gonna do it on my Fuel EX8 this year if all goes to plan.

You will enjoy it though, fantastic experience and awesome views. Good luck!!
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Clockwise is easier. Start in Waterfoot and head north, gets the gates and the more exposed sections out of the way first.

Deffo full suss if you can.

You say you're doing it in September, are you doing it solo or are you taking part in the Mary Townley Challenge (13th of September, run by the moutain rescue team).

If you take part in the event you'll get refuelling stops and some support (as well as 200 other riders for company). I've done it a couple of time now, hard but good fun. Any specific questions just PM me.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • I'm planning on doing the MTL on Sunday, anyone else up for it?

(Weather looks good between now and then, but if it's lashing it down, I'll probably wimp out and do something a bit less strenuous)
  • All being well I'll be there, booked a b&b etc.

Started to question my finess level now :?

As long as I do it in the time allowed I'll be happy :wink:
    Even in the darkest of days, Churchill still rode his Spesh.
    th_specialized001-1.jpg
  • stumpyjon
    Planning to but really not pysched up for it this year. Legs were hurting after 27 miles last Sunday. Weather does look ok but it's still going to be muddy in places. Spose I just need to MTFU and get out there on Sunday morning.

• CB: I'm going this year. Good on yer with the charity

Dicky: I'm 15 st, I too have questioned if I've got it in the tank :oops:

MFC: See you there. I'm the guy with the ancient, maroon BMW.

Stumpy / Marc: Was it a horror on the HTail? I've a full suss, but I'm worried about all the climbs :?:
  • BTW, if you want to meet up, let me know or PM me.
  • stumpyjon
    If you've got a full suss (and it's not DH heavy) take it. That distance on a hardtail is not great and there is about 2 miles of downhill cobbles close to the start and you really want to enjoy the downs. People will be walking some of the steeper hills, I tried the first big hill a few weeks ago and only managed to ride the bottom and top thirds, walked the middle and I can think of at least 2 other ups that I will be walking some of. To put it in perspective I came about in the middle of the field last year in 7hrs 50 mins.

• stumpyjon wrote:
    If you've got a full suss (and it's not DH heavy) take it. That distance on a hardtail is not great and there is about 2 miles of downhill cobbles close to the start and you really want to enjoy the downs. People will be walking some of the steeper hills, I tried the first big hill a few weeks ago and only managed to ride the bottom and top thirds, walked the middle and I can think of at least 2 other ups that I will be walking some of. To put it in perspective I came about in the middle of the field last year in 7hrs 50 mins.

I put my Spec tyres (limited tread, but enough volume for comfort) on the susser last night. Pumped them up a bit.

Did you stop for lunch?
  • stumpyjon
    Yep, probably stopped about 4 times, once for around 20 mins and a couple of 10 mins stops, plus gate opennings etc.

• Well done fella. See you if you decide to go.
  • Done!

Perfect weather, bike was spot on for the whole ride and dinner on the table when I got back!

Only disappointing bit was my time, 6 hours 40! I was hoping to be in the 5s. But my mate tore a sidewall at the top of the first climb, by the time he'd patched it up we were right at the back so got caught in traffic for the rest of the day. The first two back did 4hours 15, which I'm struggling to believe that they actually closed any gates, yet alone stopped to open them, but congratulations anyway, you freaks!

WELL DONE to anyone else who completed it and MASSIVE THANKS to the organisers and volunteers who made the day go so smoothly! The flap jack at the finish was delicious!
  • stumpyjon
    Thanks for that MancCat, was really chuffed with my 6 hrs 55 mins, 55 mins faster than last year. Not sure anyone closed any gates, there was a horse wandering around on the final descent back to Waterfoot from Deerplay :oops: .

Sorry for holding you up at the start (I was at the back for quite a time), took me ages for my legs to warm up. Managed to pass quite a few people by not stopping at the first 2 checkpoints other than to give my number.

And I actually got a puncture, genuine snakebite coming down the long descent after Widdop resevoir, I never get punctures, ever (serve me right for feeling smug seeing all those poor buggers who ounctured coming down Rooley Moor Road). Still fixed it in a couple of minutes and all was good and I didn't throw the bust tube in the nearest bush.

• Saw a few Stumpy riders, what colour and vintage is yours?

I did see someone fixing a puncture on the descent from Widdop, I loved that downhill today, I absolutely flew down it and passed about 10 people on the way down. Sorry if I p155ed off anyone, I'd got a second burst of energy and didn't want to waste the slog up from Widdop by taking the downhill easy!

Well done on smashing your best time Stumpy, wasn't last year the easier way round too?
  • I must say I think I Prefer the counter clockwise way, some excellent descents - Widdop being particularly exciting :D I managed to do it in 5:36 but had a mare with the bike - the damn thing just kept jumping gears so ended up cursing my way round :roll:
  • stumpyjon
    2007 Elite, battered blue colour, based on your time it was probably me, quite a few people passed me. I think clockwise (last year) is easier but you don't get so many good long descents, but there is definitely less pushing.

My bike was giving me some giref, got a bit of chain suck towards the end, biggest problem though is the forks. They are TALAS 32s and they lose travel on bumpy stuff, started the top of Rooley Moor Road with 140mm of travel, wound down to 100mm by the end. Really annoying, especially as I have to stop and unweight the bike to get them to return to full travel. Off to TFtuned for a service and fettle I think.

Can be a bit dicey if you hit some proper downhill and they decide to wind down, over the bars I go.

• Yippee done it! :lol:

Took me 7hrs 4 minutes though. I'm actually quite pleased with it. Where I live it's hard to train for it, just haven't got the hills :wink: .

Met some great guys who I rode with for a bit and held the gates open for me.

Didn't get a puncture, but there seemed to be loads on that fast downhill cobbley bit.

There was a girl on a single speed bike, I wonder how she got on? She was really quick up the hills.

Could of done with some way markers, went wrong way once :oops:

All in all really enjoyed it, next one's the Hope Valley on the 26th.
    Even in the darkest of days, Churchill still rode his Spesh.
    th_specialized001-1.jpg
  • first time on mtb in 9 mths
    but good conditions considering the rain we had
    bit more pushing for me on the anti clockwise route
    but did it quicker in 5-31
    live in waterfoot so its my local trails
  • stumpyjon
    Pretty good time, especially if you've been away from it for awhile.