Thread To Tell Everyone What Fettling You've Just Done

Comments

• R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Really good clean of the commuter over the weekend, and decided to tweak the saddle up a fraction and flip the stem over for a slightly lower profile. Totally different handling bike (no surpise :roll:), but now if I turn sharply my foot hits the front wheel. WTF?

Will continue fettling before the commute home...
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Serviced the rear brakes on my SS so they now open as well as close, raised saddle, changed brake cable outers (Dura Ace) and re-wrapped bar tape.
    Pumped tyres and tightened brake nuts on the road bike.
    Replaced bottom bracket on the CX can't see the beautiful CNC casing any more :( but the difference both in weight saving and smooth feeling is amazing, reindex front & rear gears.
    Pumped tyres 145PSI and raised saddle on the TT fiddled with the rear brake.

Second jug of PIMMS :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    this week ive fettled quite a bit on both bikes.

fitted new chain and cassette, as well as stripping off derauillers front and back, and chainset to give them a proper clean. Also cleaned the frame down properly for the first time in 6 weeks (oh the shame).

On the fixie i installed new shimano brake levers, to replace my cane creeks that snapped. Also recabled. Unfortunately im not happy with the position of them so tomorrow or tuesday i shall have to strip off the bar tape and refit the levers in a better position.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    rhext wrote:
    contemplating best way to deal with slightly creaking handlebars. If I take them off, should I grease the steerer before putting them back on?

Take the out of the stem and very lightly grease the clamp area. Remember the clamp area needs to be held securely so too much grease will cause slippage.

Fitted a new freewheel to my Halo Aerorage wheel last night and greased the saddle rails and now have to raise the nose a little. Goint to fit the Crud Roadracer guards fully as all I've done so far is fit them to size up the custom made brackets.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    will3 wrote:
    Just fitted a rack to the vapour
    It now looks like a shopper :cry:
    but my FCN went up :lol:

What's the FCN for a CX bike + mudguards+ rack anyway? I've always thought tourer category

Think you have to be a tourer bike, don't you? I think it's just a road bike + the adjusters otherwise. You just want to increase your FCN, don't you? :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    The Good Lady is out, so the kitchen was converted into a temporary workshop. Just checking what bits on my commuter will fit on my crosser. Absolutely no reason to do it, but did it because I could. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    @CJ: :)

I spent the best part of my afternoon trying to remove the seized seatpost (alu post, steel frame) from Project Pig frame #1. After doing a bit of research, it seems frame #2 is a little special (early 90's Tange Prestige ...), so I have cooked other plans for that ;) - which means back to square 1 - getting frame #1 up and running :? .

Urg. :x
  • cjcp
    Coke?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cool it down... the alu will contract more than the steel... freeing it all up.
  • Roastie
    Thanks for the good idea!

Coke? Hmmm ... that might be worth a try.

Edit: Sheldon metioned heat would be bad, but not cooling. Now were did I leave that liquid nitrogen..
  • redvee
    Roastie wrote:
    Now were did I leave that liquid nitrogen..

Try your local DIY store in the plumbing section, not specifically liquid nitrogen but pipe freezing kits.
  • Roastie
    Ta, but managed to get it out with Sheldon's slit method and a good deal of patience. :)
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Roastie wrote:
    Thanks for the good idea!

Coke? Hmmm ... that might be worth a try.

Edit: Sheldon metioned heat would be bad, but not cooling. Now were did I leave that liquid nitrogen..

Would pipe freezer for plumbing do??? B&Q may do it, plumbers merchants for sure

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Ho hum - that'll serve me right for not reading all the posts! Great minds think alike Redvee - think my mind has gone though :roll:

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Roastie
    The Pig was treated to new tyres & tubes last night (Michelin City) that are surprisingly grippy. They also feel slow, but that might just be the nature of The Pig.

I also got the drivetrain working smoothly which involved replacing the front mech cable and de-slacking and indexing the rear. Amazingly the very old and neglected Shimano 7-speed bits shift like clockwork with very little attention required.

The front brake just needed the cable adjusted and pads reset. The rear brake is still a problem though. With a bit of work I could have sorted it, but I'd lost the will to be cleaning old cables at 8pm on a Sunday eve so left that for another day.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    redvee wrote:
    rhext wrote:
    contemplating best way to deal with slightly creaking handlebars. If I take them off, should I grease the steerer before putting them back on?

Take the out of the stem and very lightly grease the clamp area. Remember the clamp area needs to be held securely so too much grease will cause slippage.

Fitted a new freewheel to my Halo Aerorage wheel last night and greased the saddle rails and now have to raise the nose a little. Goint to fit the Crud Roadracer guards fully as all I've done so far is fit them to size up the custom made brackets.

Thanks redvee. Now I'll have something to report next week.

No fettling at all this weekend, unless you count lubing the rest of the family's bikes prior to a ride on Sunday. The three-year-old's tag-along has a squeaky wheel though which might merit some attention next weekend.
  • Working on the home-built single-speed hybrid this weekend just gone:
    Shortened handlebars by 2 or 3 inches.
    Dropped the chain down to the smallest cog at the back, still on middle cog at the front - getting fitter so need more speed! Adjusted wheel and brake pads to suit.
    Raised saddle slightly, now level with saddle on my road bike and probably still room to go higher.
    Shortened and tightened the brake cables front and rear.
    Removed front reflector, apparently it's not legally required.
    Lube moving parts front to back.

Bike now running lovely, up till the point when the back wheel slipped forwards in the LHS horizontal drop-out mid-commute, causing the wheel to rub the RHS chainstay. :shock:
    Serves me right for not tightening it properly. Quick roadside repair done, no problem, but bizarrely the chain had moved of it's own accord back up to the second cog. Something for me to fix before I go home today! :)
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Not done yet but the Scott needs some TLC. Lowest 3 gears were jumping when I was going up Whitedown yesterday, which made it harder than it normally is :shock:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • redvee
    Put some black tape on the back of my roadracer guards.

dsc00931w.th.jpg
  • blacktape?
    us0.png
  • redvee
    FeynmanC wrote:
    blacktape?

Black by day but shine a light on it and it's reflective. Got mine from an Ebay seller who sells it in thin strips for the tips of fishing rods.

http://www.beseenonabike.com/shopuk/pro ... cts_id=448
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Was meant to be a simple headset adjustment and brake fettle on Sunday but noticed my front tyre was flat so had to sort that first. You'll be pleased to hear I patched the tube though, none of this new tube nonsense.

Also fitted an extra bracket (holder) for my rear light (Smart 1/2 watt) onto the back of the rack, so now I can choose whether to have it mounted on the seat post or end of the rack.

Anyone got any tips for getting the handlebars perfectly straight after a headset adjustment? I always spend five minutes sorting the headset and the next 45 minutes trying to get the bars spot-on. The problem is they look ok when standing over the bike but then a quick ride up and down the street always reveals them to be slightly to one side... Then I try to correct it with a tiny nudge and the next ride up and down the street shows them to be slightly to the other side.

The people that live on my street must think I'm nuts.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    wanted to change my cleats on my summer shoes to my speedplay cleats but the screws are on solid. shall get my mechanic to get them off tomorrow. managed to sort the right shoe but not the left. one more day of winter boot wearing then i can wear summer shoes with covers until its winter time (next week)
  • Roastie
    The threads on the stupid left crank arm (the non-bent one) stripped so it is stuck on the BB. I might have hurt the BB when trying to lever it off. Started cutting it off, but lost interest. I'll finish it off tomorrow. Gr. I'll probably also need a new BB. :?
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Charlie got new handlebars last night, going to get him some good Brooks tape for them soon. WHAHAHAhahahehe
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • redvee
    Had to reset the Cateyer 'puter last night. Sometime during the day it decided to turn off thus losing all the miles I'd clocked up during the previous few day but luckily I did look at it as I took it off the bike in the morning.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Winter bike:

Not cleaned it since sticking it in the shed in March :oops: . So it's been sitting in the winter crud for 6 months.

It got:

New brake blocks
    New cassette
    New chain
    Narrower handlebars
    New bar ends
    Cleaned rims
    Refitted pannier rack & shopping panniers
    Replaced batteries in computer and wheel sensor
    Lubed rear mech cable - outer might be shagged though :-(
    Cleaned & greased brake pivots (rusty - might ultimately need replacing, I'll wait and see)

Summer bike:

Fitted Crud Road Racer muddies - summer bike becomes autumn bike! Not had any rain yet, but if they work as slick as they look my backside is gonna be dry, dry, dry...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • The chainring's on, and am I glad I've got a four-bolt crank arm and that the bolts come in five's; my son knocked the table the bolts were on, and one fell. I heard it hit the ground, but it has disappeared into another dimension or perhaps alternate reality and will stay there until I walk outside in bare feet, whereupon it will reappear under my foot (just in front of my heel) causing me untold pain. :evil:
  • marchant wrote:
    The chainring's on, and am I glad I've got a four-bolt crank arm and that the bolts come in five's; my son knocked the table the bolts were on, and one fell. I heard it hit the ground, but it has disappeared into another dimension or perhaps alternate reality and will stay there until I walk outside in bare feet, whereupon it will reappear under my foot (just in front of my heel) causing me untold pain. :evil:

it'll be under the fridge...
  • I am well aware of how powerful the magnetic strip around the fridge door is. The other possibility I have not mentioned is that my wife will step outside and instantaneously spot the errant bolt, which will be right where I have been looking.