which ISIS bottom bracket?

dieselgeezer
dieselgeezer Posts: 231
edited September 2009 in Workshop
Hi,
I'm looking to change to an Isis compact chainset. I've used Hollowtech outboard bearings & am fed up with clickings & creaks. I have used Octalink with a 'normal' 53/39 chainset & had no probs. As there are no Octalink compacts I need to go with Isis. Can anyone suggest a reliable one fopr a road bike?
-- "I am but a spoke in the wheel of life" -- Ghandi

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Hi,
    I'm looking to change to an Isis compact chainset. I've used Hollowtech outboard bearings & am fed up with clickings & creaks. I have used Octalink with a 'normal' 53/39 chainset & had no probs. As there are no Octalink compacts I need to go with Isis. Can anyone suggest a reliable one fopr a road bike?

I think Ritchey still makes an Octalink compact crank. If not I would assume that most
    Isis BB's are OK unless you buy a bargain basement one.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW the Ritchey compact crank was recalled due to a quality issue - make sure your find a later model, post recall. The Octalink BB is more robust than an ISIS - the bearings are bigger and more durable. Ebay is probably your best bet - few make non-external BBs these days.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    ISIS bb are mostly rubbish, there are a few good ones, the now discontinued SKF if you can find one somewhere, the crank brothers one is very nice, the superstar one is supposed to be relatively nice...
  • Neilums
    Neilums Posts: 93
    FSA Platinum Pro has lasted me several thousand miles, so far...

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx? ... ut=product
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    SKF is the only one with a good rep. The rest are either patchy or downright terrible. The FSA Platinum is cheap though.

Sounds like the problem is the HT2 fitting though. It shouldn't creak and click.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Hi,
    I've used Hollowtech outboard bearings & am fed up with clickings & creaks. I have used Octalink with a 'normal' 53/39 chainset & had no probs.

You bring up an interesting point. I have had a creak and click or two with my "outboard".
    Lots of grease seems to keep them somewhat at bay. I do like the ease of maintainance
    though of the outboards. I used to run Octalink with no problems. Just harder to adjust, clean, and repair.
  • LardLover
    LardLover Posts: 676
    +1 for the SKF ones.

AND

+1 for the FSA Platinum (used one for many many miles when I used to be a mountain biker - on a geared and a single speed!)

Also,

Cook Bros Cobalt if you can find one, they have a healthy guarantee in case they self distruct on you.
  • Thanks so far for the info. Just wondering why Octalink seems more reliable than Isis when presumably the bearings must be the same size because of the same diameter axle.
    PS re outboard bearings, tried everything, facing BB, grease, Shimano & Hope BB's,
    torque wrenches etc.but could never stop the noises. Hence the retro step to Isis/ Oct which never gave me any issues on Octalink.
    -- "I am but a spoke in the wheel of life" -- Ghandi
  • Hi,

Thanks for asking the question DG :wink: I was only just thinking the same thing myself yesterday. I feel that I will go for the FSA in the end, though I am thinking that if I spend more will I get a better product ? There seems to be no shortage of 'top line' isis BB

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Sear ... om+bracket

Of these personally I quite fancy the Control Tech versions - though I would be buying these with my heart and not my head. If there is a reliability issue what exactly is it? If i were to go for the cheaper and more popular FSA version I would be inclined to take it down to my local bearing stockists and get a ceramic set or whatever for it, though if I can get 2K out of it I will be more than happy.
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    Sounds like the problem is the HT2 fitting though. It shouldn't creak and click.

FWIW my LX HT2 on my MTB moans and groans, creaks and clicks something serious, and no amount of cleaning refitting adjustment makes any difference. The square taper Chorus I have on my racelight is like silk, awesome piece of kit. If I had the chance I would buy sq taper everytime, though that is not the case now :cry:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    broachboy wrote:
    The square taper Chorus I have on my racelight is like silk, awesome piece of kit. If I had the chance I would buy sq taper everytime, though that is not the case now :cry:
    Luckily there still seems to be a lot of old stock square taper around, certainly from Campagnolo; I got a NOS Record chainset for very little from an ebay shop. Also, the other manufacturers – Stronglight, and so on – will probably be making them for a while yet.

EDIT: Here it is. I paid less last year, but this still seems like a real bargain.
  • 8) that certainly is a lovely piece of kit ^ for a bargain price :wink:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Hope i'm not too late to add my 2p worth, I very recently exploded my FSA platinum ISIS bottom bracket which will hopefully be covered by 2 yr warranty but meanwhile I gone and bought myself a beautiful Crank Brothers Cyan (5 yr warranty) what a work of art almost seems a shame to hide it inside the frame, anyway I fitted it yesterday and already noticed the marked difference in weight and performance.

Personally I like the ISIS design like you say no noise such as you get from most newer designed bottom brackets and less likely to loose a crank arm as can and has happened with square taper.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I got a stronglight twister SL this year and it's been perfect so far. Also very light if that's important to you. There is a cheaper steel spindled version as well.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... b2s110p144
  • itboffin wrote:
    ...bought myself a beautiful Crank Brothers Cyan (5 yr warranty) what a work of art almost seems a shame to hide it inside the frame, anyway I fitted it yesterday and already noticed the marked difference in weight and performance.

itboffin I like the sound of the warranty, any chance you could pass on some info where you brought it from, links or pics etc :?: :wink:
    I got a stronglight twister SL this year and it's been perfect so far. Also very light if that's important to you. There is a cheaper steel spindled version as well.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... b2s110p144

I like the look of the twister ^ stronglight seem to have a good rep with bearings, though I think I would be swayed with a warranty :roll: :?:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • This makes quite interesting reading ...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13006

at the bottom of the page there is a review that seems to imply that the Crank Bros Cyan is not compatible with FSA ?
    :shock: :o

Correct me if I'm wrong - but I thought that ISIS was an international standard ? :?
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • pbt150
    pbt150 Posts: 316
    It is an international standard, and FSA were one of the main companies behind introducing it as a rival to Shimano Octalink years ago - weird that Crank Bros. say they're not compatible.

I've just bought a FSA Platinum Pro (that's taken over 2 weeks to arrive...grumble...) - once it arrives and I get it fitted I'll post on here somewhere with an update.
  • broachboy wrote:
    This makes quite interesting reading ...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13006

at the bottom of the page there is a review that seems to imply that the Crank Bros Cyan is not compatible with FSA ?
    :shock: :o

Correct me if I'm wrong - but I thought that ISIS was an international standard ? :?

pbt150 wrote:
    It is an international standard, and FSA were one of the main companies behind introducing it as a rival to Shimano Octalink years ago - weird that Crank Bros. say they're not compatible.

UPDATE

I have just received an email from John Peters at Crank Bros, he says ...

Hi,
    If you have the FSA crank that has a flat back on the spider it will not work. Otherwise, you will be fine.

--
    John Peters
    Crankbrothers
    310 Broadway Laguna Beach, CA

This is getting kinda weird now :? I mean I only wanted an international standard isis BB at 108mm long - what else could go wrong ?

:lol::wink:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018