Lee quarry racing, which category

Ian P
Ian P Posts: 36
edited September 2009 in XC and Enduro
Hi,

While mountain biking is my second sport (climbing is my main one) circumstances mean I've been getting out quite a bit more this year and I quite fancy entering a race - the lee quarry series sounds perfect.

But I'm not sure what category to enter - I'm relatively fit (I think) and not carrying any excess weight but don't really have a view on standards in xc racing. Hopefully technicallity shouldn't be too much of an issue, I've done all the trails at Coed y Brenin and quite a lot of natural stuff in the peak. I tried a pretty full on run round the black at LLandegla yesterday (minus JJ's jumps) to see what sort of pace I could keep up and completed it in 1:10. Should I be OK in the weekend warriors class or ahould I go for the have a go hero's for a first race?

Thanks

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Lee Quarry, Llandegla it isn't, way more technical with big rocks. I've been wondering about it myself, think I'd definitely enter in the have a go hero category first.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • I'm thinking of having a go at some of the races at Lee Quarry, but yeah it would probably be better to enter the have-a-go-hero category first and then work your way up if you enjoy it.

:)
  • Hi, course changes each week but there is defo a technical eliment to it!

As to class i'd go in the weekend warrior, i race in that class and you do the better course, have a go hero misses out the best bits.

As for pace the warrior class has slower riders and the top 3 or 4 set times to compare with middle to top of the racer class

Go along, very friendly and fun if a little lung busting at times.
  • You may be interested in my friend's blog. The latest one is about his first ever race which was at Lee Quarry:

http://www.themountainbikeriding.blogspot.com/
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Thinking of entering this, i'll have no problem with the age category though - under 17 :roll:

The course looks really good - let us know how you get on if you do the one in September
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1