Newham 60

spaniamania
spaniamania Posts: 80
edited September 2009 in XC and Enduro
How severe is this coarse?
The short route is described as suitable for families.
What can be expected on the long route?

Just entered now been told its gona be a killer.
Am I gona die?

Comments

• Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Lol no but expect lengthy climbs over moorland, what makes it so hard is not just the distance but the fact you never get a break on the bike, your either climbing out of the saddle or going through technical trails again out of the saddle.

The forest sections however are great, it's been a few years now but 3-4 bits have nice downhill sections that are comfortable to ride, however they're always preceded by yup you guessed it a hill. :lol:

Great event though and i for one can't wait to give it another crack as it's been a few years. :D
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Cheers Dazza,

You say technical.
    What might that incude?

OK is anyone gona laugh if I attempt this on my hardtail?
  • Dazzza
    Nope actually you might be better off on a ht it's not that hard a course, only in places can it get a bit sketchy, few years ago i did it on my ht and did quite well, came 51st or summat that was a coyote ht5 with original z1 forks so not exactly racing trim.

Technical umm well you get some trails that have stones/rocks might be hard on the wheels but perfectly rideable and then you have the forest sections where you have to watch for roots etc.

A nice fast rolling xc tyre is all you'll need though something that doesn't mind a bit f mud won't hurt, depends on the weather at the time.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • this is my first ever mtb event am i mad i am doing the 60k.
    how do i gat towards the front of the pack at the start?
    HELP!!! :shock:
  • Dazzza
    First race, umm you don't let the elite etc past and just go at your own pace in all fairness unless you are seriously fit you will get mullered im afraid just focus more on enjoying it.

Make sure you carry plenty of spares/food/drink as you will need it, random things like spare cleat bolts or disc pads plus the usual inner tube and patches of course.
    Giant Anthem X