advice please

Tenkfeet
Tenkfeet Posts: 46
edited September 2009 in Road beginners

Comments

• andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    A novice with a DA Addict R2! Thats some way to start..

DA will last ages if looked after. Other than chain, cassettes & brake pads the rest will be fine for years. I would be tempted to sell the groupset to offset the cost of your new bike. I would guess its 7800. If its in good nick about £3/400 worth, eBay best option.

If there's doubt about the forks, bin them. Not worth much second hand anyway & any ??? regards their history renders them pretty worthless.

If it's a frame you're after speak to Paul @ Westbrook Cycles in Stokesley.

You could transplant the parts onto a CR1 frame with no bother.
  • Tenkfeet
    edited April 2010
    Cheers
  • EdZed
    EdZed Posts: 119
    Is it the 2009 frame or 2010 frame? The 2010 CR1 frame is very different to the 2009 CR1 frame as the new frames are now sportive orientated and will be quite different from your old Addict frame - in geometry terms. The 2009 frame is much closer to the Addict frame.
  • Its a 2009 frame . Would not be getting a 2010 due to cost .
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I think your Dura Ace mech should go on for years and years. I think your STI levers will give you trouble before the mech will. With the levers the indexing will wear and the gears will end up jumping.
    As far as the rims, I think there shoud be a small groove which goes around the rim. When this groove starts to wear then it is time to change your rims. Rims can be changed in a good bike shop. Bit if a dark art. I had some rims that were older and didn't have a groove and as they were so worn the rim collapsed on a ride and I was lucky to not end up in the hedge. Not good.
    Cheers Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Tenkfeet wrote:
    LBS spoke to Scott who offer 10% off for a crash replacement which I thought was a bit crap. :
    Eh?

Run your fiesta into a lampost then ask Ford how much discount they will give you on a crash replacement and see what answer they give after they have finished laughing.
  • Tenkfeet
    edited April 2010
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Good for Trek, but this is a agreement the buyer in order to make their frames more attractive sales wise. You cannot expect everyone else to follow suit as a matter of course.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    To be honest, if you are worried about crashing, get an aluminium one!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Tenkfeet
    edited April 2010
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    Best crash replacement has to be VN for there Ti frames, 50% discount. I know off someone who also had there warranty honoured by VN. The guy road the bike into a high kerb, and buckled the headtube, Ti is tough, so must have been a hard hit.