Helmets - how long do they last

PTaylor
PTaylor Posts: 2
edited September 2009 in The workshop
Hi,

Probably a slightly daft question but I am returning to riding after a long hiatus and wondered if the helmet I last used 15+ years ago is still okay to use. It's a Vetta Micro 2000 and was quite expensive at the time of purchase (I think it cost about £45 in 1992). It has never been in an accident and has been stored in its box so has not been exposed to UV. It's possible that design has moved on to such an extent that even if it is technically safe I would be better off with a new one anyway but any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd be inclined to get a new one. I think there have been new safety tests, and the venting, weight and adjustment on even budget ones are far better nowadays.

Try a few on - fit is important.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Bell/Giro say 3 years

Met say 8 years, as long as it doesn't get any knocks

I'd go with somewhere in between just to be safe, and hey it's nice to buy shiny things :D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • £45 wasn't expensive in 1992.

I'm still using my £100 Specialized sub-6 pro from 1992. Though I shouldn't really.

It's not that they particularly degrade, but the accumulation of gentle wear and tear over a long period of time is something that can't be quantified. Get a new one- they are probably loads better and cheaper than your 1992 one.

I'm just such a tight-arse that I can't afford to myself.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Unfortunately, expensive does not necessarly mean " safer". Just that they have more holes in. (Vents).
    Don't pay more than £40 and if you get get one that has a USPCN safety sticker that is the best, US helmets have higher standards than EU helmets.
    Good louck,
    Will