Chain skipping under pressure - new chain?

danielsbrewer
danielsbrewer Posts: 123
edited September 2009 in The workshop
Hello,

I have a Specialized globe sport hybrid bike 2007. When I am in the "middle gear" (i.e. middle at the front and back) the chain "skips" when I apply a lot of pressure (normally when I start off at a junction). What I mean is that the chain loses grip for a bit and my pedal suddenly jolts to the floor.

Does this mean I need a new chain? or do I need to replace more?
What sort of chain do I need to buy?

Thanks

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Sounds like your rear gear cable needs adjusting/gears need a tune.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if it is all original and is a often used gear combo you may have worn this too far.

the free body drive system may also be on the way out.

To the LBS and expect to need to replace the drive train if it is the original.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    I had the same thing on the gears I used the most (3x6 and 3x8). It can be quite dangerous to keep using them as they can chuck your feet off the pedals and onto the road. As this happens when you are using them the hardest you will straddle the top tube and come off. If that happens on Elephant & Castle roundabout you will die.

Check for chain stretch or a worn cassette and replace what needs replacing.
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • cjcp wrote:
    Sounds like your rear gear cable needs adjusting/gears need a tune.

+1 A minute or two of fiddling could save you a lot of pain (I went over the handlebars when my gears slipped a the wrong time :cry: ) and save an expensive trip to the bike shop. Worth checking this before taking mroe dramatic steps.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Check the condition of you middle chainring.