What's the best way to reproof an Altura Night Vision jacket

moorjohn
moorjohn Posts: 89
edited September 2009 in The workshop
The wife washes mine when it starts to smell.

It's gradually lost its waterproof-ness. Wore it for the first cold shower of the autumn on Friday night, and I'd be better off with a string vest.

do I:

i) buy a new one and don't wash it
ii) re-proof it with something really waterproof (which destroys the breathability).[suggestions for what this might be welcome]
iii) re-proof it with something which respects the breathability [suggestions for what this might be also welcome]

also, I wear a cotton t shirt under it most often. Do people find the pong problem is reduced with a proper wicking baselayer. I fancy one of these might get the sweat away from my (microbe-infested) skin more quickly, thus limiting the little critter's opportunity to sully my jacket with their noxious breakdown products.

[sorry if language is flowery. No work tomorrow so I'm on my second G+T!]

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Same thing happened to mine when it was washed. It feels "thinner". Haven't looked round for any products yet.

I'd definitely swap the cotton t-shirt for a good, warm base layer. Check out the two sold by LewisKIT - they're great, although others on here will be able to recommend other brands.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I believe that you are advised to wash waterproofed clothing in "non-bio" products as the enzymes in the normal stuff eats the waterproofing. I picked up this tip from a non-cycling outdoor jacket from Lands End. I have been following that advice on some washable shower curtains too.

EDIT : have you considered asking Altura about approved re-waterproofing products?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    With breathable waterproof jackets, the watedrproofing is by virtue of the fabric itself, and the seam sealing. Re-proofing merely restores the water-resistant coating. This in itself will not make the jacket waterproof again, it is intended to make the water bead up and run off to prevent the fabric "wetting out" (when the water forms a continuous film over the fabric rather than beads of water). When the fabric wets out, it stops breathing, then sweat builds up inside and you get wet. So whilst the re-proofers you can buy may restore breathability and hence keep you dryer, they will not make the jacket waterproof if the fabric itself has failed.

These waterproof fabrics are laminated and the usual cause of failure is that they de-laminate, often noticeable when the fabric appears a bit translucent when wet.

I have got through many waterproof jackets that have failed, including Altura, and many more expensive ones made with Gore Tex. No amount of reproofing helps, they just need replacing. The advantage with Gore Tex is that they offer a lifetime guarantee and they do genuinely stand by this, I have had several replacements over the years having only paid for one jacket. (Last year I tried an Altura Attack Extreme - fab design, great fit and features, loved it, lasted 3 rides before the fabric gave up, fortunately as I bought it from Wiggle there was a no quibble refund, went back to Gore).

Laundering should be with non-bio as said above, and a wash in re-proofer may help, but only if the fabric is still waterproof.

As for base layers, cotton is the worst possible choice, get one in a tech fabric (some smell, others don't, my DHB and Berghaus ones don't) or get merino wool, such as Icebreaker.
  • Thanks for the info, people.

I have a nasty feeling the fabric might have failed on my Altura.

(I did hunt for an Altura website, but didn't have any luck).

I guess the best way to make the fabric last longer is not to screw the jacket up (or fold it ideally).

cheers
  • alfablue
    Their website is here:

http://www.altura.eu.com/home.aspx

But it is really the Zyro web site (the distributors). I have found Zyro to be particularly poor with warranty issues (their ignorance and stonewalling wore me down so much that I eventually, and rarely, gave up on a Cateye light issue), so don't expect any joy there. The website says the jacket is "waterproof" and "highly durable" so you should have no problems with crumpling it up, they just fail.

With my Altura Attack it failed in very quick time, very little use. Before I bought it from Wiggle, I went into a Bristol LBS, and I said to the salesman, what would happen if it started leaking in 6 months. I was hoping for a "we will replace it straight away", instead they said they would send it back to the distributors and see what they say, knowing this is Zyro meant I had no warranty at all, so I bought from WIggle who I knew would do a no quibble refund. (I know my claim is with the seller, but if the seller is showing ignorance of their liability even at the point of sale, I am buying elsewhere, less hassle).

Any way, bit long winded, but 1) waterproof jackets often fail, 2) get one from a shop you know will treat you properly 3) think about buying one with a lifetime warranty. If you pay £150 and you get 10 years or more out of it, that's much cheaper than a £60 one that you replace at your own cost every other year.
  • 3) think about buying one with a lifetime warranty. If you pay £150 and you get 10 years or more out of it, that's much cheaper than a £60 one that you replace at your own cost every other year.

I would do this. (Though normally very resistant to spending money...)

I the jacket a test in the shower tonight: the sleves + back aren't waterproof. Damp leaks through after about 1 minute. If you hold a puddle in a part of the fabric, it gets damp underneath fairly quick.

Interesting contrast is a lowe-alpine triple-point ceramic jacket I've had since 1998 (see comment above). Admittedly it hasn't been used much except to go to work, but it will pass the puddle test. Bone dry on the inside afterwards. I think it cost me about £90, but that were worth more back then.

last question then. Do gore do a lifetime warranty? if not who does?

thanks for the link
  • doh.

you said Gore do a lifetime warranty

:oops:

off to the Gore website then

thanks a lot
  • alfablue
    I have found The Gore Store to be good.
  • alfablue
    Yep, interesting about Lowe Alpine, top brand, it is a "get what you pay for" situation.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    alfablue wrote:
    But it is really the Zyro web site (the distributors). I have found Zyro to be particularly poor with warranty issues (their ignorance and stonewalling wore me down so much that I eventually, and rarely, gave up on a Cateye light issue), so don't expect any joy there.

+1. I had the same problem with the lights, and I received less than helpful emails from them. They said that the warranty was through the seller.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Here's an interesting site on GoreTex care. http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive ... 00149.html I haven't personally used any of these suggestions so I can't say for sure if any of this works. :roll:
  • alfablue
    edited September 2009
    Well, its just the same advice as appears on the Gore web site.

I use Nikwax for the DWR and tumble dry.

The interesting bit at the end:
    "However, DWR does not need to be applied to the garment each time, and if
    you are still getting wet on the inside after applying the DWR then there
    may be a problem with the GORE-TEX® membrane (the waterproof membrane)"

These problems do happen and no amount of "care" will restore the situation. I am sending back my g/f's Gore-Tex Paclite cycling jacket this very day for warranty replacement. (I tested it by putting the jacket over a bowl of water, put a small weight in the middle to weigh the jacket down, after 30 minutes the inside was damp).

Its a pain that these things fail, but all brands do sometimes, at least there is a lifetime warranty.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Best washing with soap flakes - even non-bio will strip the waterproofing.
  • Try Thompsons Waterseal - seriously. Our caravan awning started leaking like a sieve and Thompsons was recommended. I did think they were taking the p***, but it worked a treat. May affect breathability a little, but it's waterproof.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • alfablue
    Try Thompsons Waterseal - seriously. Our caravan awning started leaking like a sieve and Thompsons was recommended. I did think they were taking the p***, but it worked a treat. May affect breathability a little, but it's waterproof.

I think this is the problem, I think it would end breathability permanently; if you have ever been in a single-skinned tent you will know how "unbreathable" things will get.
  • I always wash Gore-tex stuff in Nikwax Tech-Wash and then re-proof with Nikwax TX-Direct. Works a treat.