tips for getting tyre on rim

newbie_cyclist
newbie_cyclist Posts: 202
edited September 2009 in The workshop
Hi
just switched tyres to conti gatorskin (23mm) & am having nightmare of a time getting the last bit on the rim (mavic akrisium). Even with levers I find that for every bit of tyre I get on another section peels off -so far I've only managed to get tyre on by getting someone to hold the tyre whilkst i lever it on -not v practical for commuting!
dreading my next puncture -any tips?? please!
thanks

Comments

• Hi, I sympathise.....changed to gatorskins a few months ago and found them really tight to get over the rims. I did manage it eventually by using a lot of force on the tyre lever and making sure I only eased a tiny bit of the tyre once I got to the tight last few inches, when the remaining tyre is pulled tight across the rim.

If its any consolation, I have been very impressed with the tyres, they seem to add approx 2mph to my average speed since changing from the tyres supplied with my Pinnacle Expede CX bike.

Have you tried rubbing some washing up liquid around the tyre first?

I too, am dreading the next puncture on the way to work......

Steve
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    warm up the tyre with a hair dryer before you fit it. This really helped with my schwalbe marathon plusses.

hth
  • Couple of tips:

Get youself a sealant spray can (Halfords/Wiggle etc) can repair "most" punctures without a pump or taking the tyre off, at least gets you home.

Get yourself the type of tyre leaver that hooks onto the quickrelease, the are superb compared to traditional levers. "Crank Brothers Speed Leaver" again Wiggle or Halfords.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My ultra gator skins went on with fingers last night when I put it on my new wheel, Halo Aerorage, though when I put them on first time around they were tight.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • got the crank brothers speedlever
    FANTASTIC!!
    intead of 30mins, nearly in tears with bleeding thumbs got the tyre on effortlessly in 30 secs.

thanks so much for the tip Hangie.

spread the word -bin your other levers, buy speedlevers

:D:D:D:D:D:wink:
  • I have removed and replaced a Gator Skin tyre 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I have Campag Scirroco G3 rims.

First time due to a puncture and twice becuase I ripped the valve off with my track pump!

It does knacker my thumbs but my Dad warned me against using leavers incase you pinch the tube.

I found making sure the tyre that is mostly on sits low in the rim helps. If it is slightly off center (up the side of the rim) it stretched the tyre a little bit more and gave you less to play with.

I also end up rudding round the wall of the tyre with both hands towards the last bit to go on. Effectively gathering any excess or slack that may exist. Believe me it is not baggy but it does help.

It soon pops on in the end but is hard work.
  • Make sure you have enough air in the tube first and the tyre should go on a whole lot easier.
  • really?
    i assumed it would be the other way round -easier to get on with less air in the tube.
    I also inflate to sit tube into tyreto avoid twists but then deflate for the last difficult bit of getting tyre onto rim
  • The inflated tube/ not fully inflated though, will ease the effort required by putting some pressure on the tyre itself. Basically the tyre should literally pop on.