pro shop fit

adedownunder
adedownunder Posts: 30
edited September 2009 in Training, fitness and health
Hi Guy's
I have had my new road bike for around a year now and im still struggling to get that comfort ride and knowing that the bike is best set up for me. The bike is the same frame size etc as my others but i just cant nail the perfect set up, i think that i have messed with it so much now im actually making things worse instead of better, my last ride was quite painful when i got home!! My question is have any of you paid and had a proper and comperhensive fit up?, and has it made a big difference? i know they can be quite expensive but to be honest if it made a difference and made my riding more enjoyable i would be more than happy to pay.
Thanks all
Happy riding

Ade

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I had a road bike fitting at CycleFit London. Made a huge difference as i resolved the knee pain I had been experiencing (with custom insoles, a LeMond wedge under one cleat and both cleats moved forwards sightly as part of the fitting service). Remember that any bike measurements they give you can be used to make your existing bike fit better as well as being useful for further bike purchases. I am going to Paul Hewitt in Leyland (Lancashire) next weekend for a track bike fitting. If you have any problems such as hand or knee pain, neck stiffness or saddle discomfort, be sure to let them know, as they should try to resolve these issues within the bike fitting session. Let them know the type of riding you do (touring, commuting, sportive, racing, TT, off-road etc) and what you want to achieve from the fitting and they will set the bike up specific to these requirements. I look at it like this: You could spend £50+ on a saddle and a stem that made no difference, so why not pay at least this amount to get them right first time.
    M.Rushton
  • Thanks for that mrushton, i have booked a bike fitting for tomorrow, the guy's have told me to expect to be there for at least 4hrs, knee pain is one of my problems amongst many but they only show after i have ridden. I have tried that many combination of adjustments i just think it needs a professional to put the jigsaw together. As it stands im certainly not enjoying my riding as much at the moment so fingers crossed.
  • copper585
    copper585 Posts: 141
    hi, how do you go about finding your nearest bike fit shop? i live in hull east yorkshire. i guess you take your own bike and they assess it all from there? thanks for any info
  • COPPER585 wrote:
    hi, how do you go about finding your nearest bike fit shop? i live in hull east yorkshire. i guess you take your own bike and they assess it all from there? thanks for any info
    Ive just been for my fit up this morning and found it really thourough, find a bike shop that specialize in fit up's and not just one that sit's you on a trainer and has a look from the side and say's that looks about right. Mine took around 3 hrs, thats with 35mins of accurate body measuring riding on the trainer, on the road plus some parts changes. At the end they will give you a print off with all your measurements incase you buy another bike and need it set up the same. You will also have to go back in a couple of weeks to make sure your happy and have no problems. Take your bike, shoes, and the clothes you ride in, like me you may have to have some parts changes to your bike to get the perfect fit. Ive just been out for a half hour ride and the difference has been quite amazing. Dont be afraid to call the shops and ask what the fitting procedure is, your paying the money!! and you need it to be right. Good luck, im sure you will be more than happy with the results
  • many thanks for your reply is there a site which shows which shops do this tho? i know none of my local shops do it,willing to travel a reasonable distance to get sorted as just not comfy on bike at all. thank you.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    In some respects it's word of mouth as to who the best fitters are. Cyclefit enjoy a good reputation to the extent that they are having to cease fitting non-Cyclefit customers ie bike purchasers as so many people were coming to them that the waiting list for a fit was 3 months! Cyclefit say that if there is such a demand then other bike stores should be addressing that need and have offered to advise shops who want to set up a similar service.
    M.Rushton
  • many thanks for the reply
  • Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the fitting? Sound like it'll sort my knee out!
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    incurab1e wrote:
    Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the fitting? Sound like it'll sort my knee out!

Retul also do a fantastic bike fitting. Sorted me out. I was constantly off the bike with one injury or another including sore knees, hips and foot problems. I got my done in bespoke cycling London. There are now 3 places offering this service.

http://www.retul.com/fitter_list.asp

I would of course recommend Bespoke because Barry sorted me out.

It cost me £175 for the fitting and worth every penny and I had to pay for flights and trains as well.
  • incurab1e wrote:
    Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the fitting? Sound like it'll sort my knee out!
    I paid $150 which is around 75 pounds, but it was money well spent
  • I spent £130 at BikeDynamics.co.uk in Leamington, Warwickshire. It took about 3 hours, I was on and off the bike about 15 times, saw myself in glorious slowmotion, especially how badly my left knee wobbled. I was sent a report and a DVD of all the clips and reckon it was the best £130 I have ever spent on cycling. I am now faster and relatively pain free.
  • Had a bikefit done by Racescene in Barnsley, brilliant, sorted out my knee problem, and I am definately more efficient on my bike. Time taken was about two hours and cost £75 well worth it. I can definately recomend it, will go there for a bike when I need one (will be sooner rather than later).
  • The other good thing about having a proper fit is it can show up any bad riding habits you may have, if your feeling any discomfort while your riding you tend to over compensate and that will cause other problems, then it just becomes an ongoing thing and riding becomes a chore with no enjoyment.
    It's best to get a proper measure up before you start to buy expensive saddles etc, the geometry is more important than buying those expensive parts you may not even need, the bike shop will tell you what you need and why you need it.