100 mile TT - warm up

DaveyL
DaveyL Posts: 5,167
edited September 2009 in Training, fitness and health
Anyone who's done any 100 mile TTs give me any advice to how they warm-up, if at all?

In October, I am doing what is effectively a 112 mile TT as I'm doing the bike leg of an Ironman triathlon as part of a relay team. (The course is pretty much pan flat).

This gives the added complication that my bike will have to be racked in T1 the evening before, so I won't have access to my bike for a warm-up. And the race is abroad, so i won't be able to warm up on another bike.

Any suggestions? Or just go at it cold, take it easy for the first 10 or 20 km and negative split it?
Le Blaireau (1)

Comments

• Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    I wouldn't bother with a warm up as you won't be going all out from the gun (I presume).
    If it were me, I would just spin the legs for the first 5 miles or so, then take it from there.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Don't you swim first? That should be a warm up.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I don't tend to warm up that much. You just want to break into a sweat before and loosen up the legs if you can, that's all. It's more to get a feel of how you're going on the day and to check the bike is running well. Don't spend too much energy. You won't exactly leave the start all guns blazing.

Don't worry about the warm up anyway, it's the 112 miles ahead that matter!
  • freehub wrote:
    Don't you swim first? That should be a warm up.

Read the post properly and you'll understand.
  • freehub
    I've read, it, I'm still not getting it, if you are swimming before despite the cold water I'd still think that's classed as a warm up as it gets the blood pumping.
  • freehub wrote:
    I've read, it, I'm still not getting it, if you are swimming before despite the cold water I'd still think that's classed as a warm up as it gets the blood pumping.

It's a relay - someone else is doing the swim.

+1 for not worrying too much about a warm up. Some light jogging about and stretching to get the heart rate up would be all I'd do. The longer the event, the shorter the warm up. What event is it BTW?
  • DaveyL
    Thanks for the advice - I pretty much figured just staying warm and limber (if that's a word) would be OK but wanted to hear from those with experience.

The event is Challenge Barcelona (I think it's the same organisation that do the Roth event) - looks like a good course for a fast time, and for those doing the whole thing the run is pretty flat too. The bike course is very flat but it could be quite windy as a lot of it is on a coastal road.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • freehub
    freehub wrote:

It's a relay - someone else is doing the swim.

?

Oh right.. I get it now! I seem to have missed that bit when reading the post.
  • DaveyL
    And when re-reading it.... :D
    Le Blaireau (1)