Ever get depressed?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Dammit... sucks. Haven't taken the Surge for a ride for a few weeks now and I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms.... going cold turkey!

I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd to get out in the mountains again :(

I've been riding my roadie pretty much everyday so the fitness is improving.. just want to give the Surge a good spanking :(

And being stuck behind a computer at work is DOING MY FU*KING HEAD IN! I need an active job :lol:

Can't get out this weekend because I doubt i'll have my car back, bro is working all weekend and other bro has gone back to not riding his bike much:(

Any decent trails in the NW accesible via train?!

Comments

• Hey Benji take it you didnt move to your GFs place then?, where was it Cardiff in Wales cant remember. Where abouts in NW you at dude.

And i know the pain the desires the frustration im part way building my bike up and bit skint so may have to stripp other bike and and use parts off that for time being until can afford new parts grrrrrr.
    I don't have a bike addiction problem.....bikes seems to have a problem with me.....it just can't seem to stay on.

http://www.moredirt.co.uk/users/FlowRideR661/
    http://flowrider661.pinkbike.com/
  • Moving after xmas... probably around february time :)
    Hoping to get a flat in South Glamorgan somewhere... Dinas, Barry, Penarth.... those sorta areas... just gotta save a bitta cash 1st!

Up by Blackpool atm, trails aren't too far away, but not really accesible on the train :(

I'd actually been offered a job in Tredz in Cardiff about 6 weeks ago, but because the GF didn't have a job (and still doesn't) I couldn't really take it.... would have been bloody perfect for me :(

Managing to aquire a few parts for the On-One now and then... can't wait to ride it! I've even noticed that hope have done a batch of special edition mono mini's which I want soooo badly! :lol:
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Where abouts in the North West are you Ben?
    Some good routes aroun the lakes that can be got to by train.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Torres wrote:
    Where abouts in the North West are you Ben?
    Some good routes aroun the lakes that can be got to by train.

Well I can easily get to Preston station (closest big hub thingy by me)!
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Well if you get a train to lancaster and then change lines to go to windermere thenthere's loads of bridleways and tracks around there. Around Grizedale too [not the north face] there's loads of exellent natural riding.
    Just grab an os map and co crazy :wink:
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    Depressed - yes

Havent ridden off road in months, and its going to be months till I can too :(
  • Torres wrote:
    Well if you get a train to lancaster and then change lines to go to windermere thenthere's loads of bridleways and tracks around there. Around Grizedale too [not the north face] there's loads of exellent natural riding.
    Just grab an os map and co crazy :wink:
    hmm I shall have a look at some OS maps in work tomorrow :)
  • Yeah i know what you mean having ti use the trains not easy, next thing is to get a car :D
    I don't have a bike addiction problem.....bikes seems to have a problem with me.....it just can't seem to stay on.

http://www.moredirt.co.uk/users/FlowRideR661/
    http://flowrider661.pinkbike.com/
  • Lol, I have a car but its being fixed :evil:
  • I've been a bit hacked off this week (work stuff, plus mates letting me down for the coming weekends big ride) until I was riding home last night and some little kid pipes up "Oi you!",I thought here we go another little gob-shite spouting crap, turned round and he said "I really like your bike mate!" :D

Made me smile and I said "cheers mate I like your bike too". Restored some of my faith in humanity!
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • Mate I know how you feel about not getting out to ride.

But I can suggest some decent trials for you easily accessible by train from Preston.

My folks live down in accrington and over the years found quite a few places.

Probably the best is Rivington Pike nr Bolton - get a train to Horwich Parkway (Reebok Stadium) look up at the very big moor and head in that direction. Loads of xc and some decent downhill stuff. Always loads of people on their bikes there, probably your best option for this weekend as dead easy to get to and not too far from station.

If you head to Burnley (or Hebden Bridge) you can enjoy the calder valley with some cracking trails. Link below

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/PennineB ... 202009.pdf

As mentioned access by train to Lakes is pretty good with loads of riding.

Hope this helps, as already said get an OS map and plan your fun.

My zaskar is still down in Lancashire (Im in Edinburgh, its a long story...). But just this morning I treated myself by hiring a Genesis Ti hardtrail at Glentress for tomorrow. Can't wait! :P
  • duke duvet
    Cheers for that mate :)

Think i'll get a train and see if I can find the Pennine Bridleway then :D
  • What train station is closes to the Mary Towneley loop?
  • Actually... I like the sound of Hayfield Highs
    http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/pennineb ... ?PageId=93

Only problem is it takes 2hr20 to get there.. and upto 6hrs to get round :shock:

I guess if I left at 8am it wouldn't be dark when I finished (hopefully!)..
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    :twisted: :twisted:

we are going to the fort tomorrow!

nahnahnenahnahhhhhhhhhh! :op

:twisted: :twisted:

:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Hayfields High sounds a bit of a trek by train. Best bet to reduce the train journey is head for Hebden Bridge or Burnley Central. About an hour from Preston

At Hebden you can follow the Mary Tonwley loop over to Hameldon then head down into Worsthorne village which is about half an hour to Burnley station or do it the other way round. That should take you about 3 hours with mainly xc trails. For a longer and more challenging ride head from Burnely to Worsthorne then across the moors to Hebden Bridge (not shown as a route on the pdf). Then you pick up the trail from HB back to Burnley. This has loads of technical trails and some fast downhills. This loop is about 4-5hrs.

I have an old article from Mountain Bike World which I can scan and email to you tomorrow, which should give you more detail but just make sure you take an OS map as the place has singletrack paths going everywhere. Let me know if you want this

This would be best option for you I think if you want a full on day ride. Or like I say Rivington has everything you could want, was used in Commonwealth Games for the xc mountain biking and they also had some downhilling there one time. You cant really get lost either and the track from the top of Winter Hill down the back is the most amazing downhill. Info below for routes.

http://www.flattyresmtbroutes.com/RivingtonPike.html (ignore the dodgy photos)

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14885249
  • Jesus Benj, your such a whiner! :D

Get some friends with cars and let them take you somewhere nice!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Why would you want to ride it, just flick the downtube... :D
  • Not ridden for over a week due to a back problem.Been using the time to tweak the bike though,fork and headset service.Currently trying to resolve brake issue........ :cry:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Hey Benj.... how is life on the dark side???

Not sure how easy Llandegla is from Wrexham station, but may be worth a look. I hear great things about the cafe there too