Dependable, reliable, waterproof rear light

salsajake
salsajake Posts: 702
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
What can anyone reccomend that will survive a good mudguard-less soaking out back there? My NiteRider one was totally unwaterproof and has died. Blackburn Mars has been OK but doesn't always sit in its seat properly and has come out twice (once fatally). It also shook the battery loose slightly which turned it off going over bumps. As the nights draw in I want something I can depend on being on and staying on and not needing to be replaced after a good shower.

Suggestions please?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Buy 2 smart 1/2watt superflash - cheap and bright and reliable
  • and waterproof?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Held up through being on my seatpost on my mtb through wet rides last winter without a guard. I would smear some grease or vaseline round the seal though - but I would never night ride without at least 2 lights - even the best can fail and some drivers are muppets.
  • just bought a couple of sun 1s from crc 70% off down to £7 my eyes still hurt from looking at it fix to post or seat stay
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Which Mars did you have.

Mars 4 is very waterproof. My Mars 3 has occasionally got condensation in it, which sends it into mad loopy flash mode - works fine on steady.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    mars 4.0 hanging off my saddle bag. just upgraded today from a mars 3.0 which has done me good for the last year
  • My Mars 4 is brilliant (ho ho).

Very solid mount, and it's been soaked more times than I can remember.

I don't think you can get better for the money.
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    my 1/2 watt has been soaked on zillions of occasions with no issues
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I'm using the Mars 4, Mars 3 and a Smart superflash

The Mars 4 has been totally waterproof, the 3.0 just goes a bit loopy sometimes (always works though) - I may just grease the seals, and the Smart has occasionally let water in - which stops it working until the switch is dry.

The Mars 4 is probably only beaten by a Dinnote, but that's many times more expensive.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I've got many rear lights and all work in all weathers no problem.
    :shock:

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • salsajake wrote:
    Blackburn Mars

Damn. Thats what I was going to suggest. I've never managed to dislodge mine even riding off road. All I ever have to worry about is cleaning the mud off the back of it and changing the batteries when it gets a bit dim.

Mike
  • mudcovered wrote:
    salsajake wrote:
    Blackburn Mars

Damn. Thats what I was going to suggest. I've never managed to dislodge mine even riding off road. All I ever have to worry about is cleaning the mud off the back of it and changing the batteries when it gets a bit dim.

Mike

I've had 2 of them, the first one fell out (admittedly I hadn't realised there is kind of 2 levels of resistance when you click it in and you need the 2nd! But both of them suffered from the batteries being able to move slightly in their housing - actually enough to break the connection. I had to pack a small piece of cardboard in to stop it happening. The Niterider one I had had no seals or anything on the battery compartment and the batteries were actually rusting when I took them out to see why it wasn't working - won't even work with new batteries now so its fried. Will try these smart 1/2 watt things x 2, can you mount them on the seat stays?