newbie needs some help please with bike build advice

mkoijn74
mkoijn74 Posts: 5
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
hi all, found your site and it looks great. have been cycling for a month or so and am getting addictive, keep finding myself leaving the car and cycling everywhere. now my bike at the mo is a 1970 era bsa, pretty basic, i changed the leather seat, added some grip tape and gave it a once over with some grease and tools. now in the last 3 days i have done two 10 mile rides and now want a better bike. i have sourced a carbon frame and forks from a friend and am going to build something for myself for christmas. this is where some advice is needed, what would you guys recommend for parts. i am building on a tight budget and ideally will be looking hi and lo for decent second hand parts. will need the following:

wheels (was thinking mavic cosmic)
group set (have no idea what i am even looking at)
50mm carbon seat post ?
pedals ?
handle bars ?
seat ?
etc etc

all help and thoughts welcome, and once again hi to all!
location pinner, middlesex

Comments

• Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Too right ...build it.

I have a few weeks ago finished building mine and am now building my future son-in-laws in order to do the London 2 Paris in June.

It was a piece of cake, the hardest part was sourcing everything.

1st choice is to decide whether you are going the Campag, Shimano or FSA route for groupsets, once decided decide on the spec, such as Record/Chorus/Centaur or Durace, 105 or Ultegra etc.

Then just scan all the ads and fleabay is your biggest friend.

You'll need a few tools, but until you decide the spec your can't buy them.

Total build time about 2 hours, total sourcing time about 3 weeks.

HTH
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Build it and they will come (or something like that I saw in a Kevin Costner flick)
    You'll get the satisfaction of building it and you'll also acquire the knowledge of how to sort something out when it goes awry. :wink:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • What do people recommend for budget allocation? i.e. what % of the budget should be spent on frame, wheels, etc.
  • The guy in my LBS says a road frame is just something to hang bits from. Try loosing rotational mass ie. wheels, tyres, tubes as this is where it will make the biggest effect.
  • forget about budget, you'll only blow it when you see something that you just have to have :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    maddmatt wrote:
    The guy in my LBS says a road frame is just something to hang bits from. Try loosing rotational mass ie. wheels, tyres, tubes as this is where it will make the biggest effect.

I wouldn't loose rotational mass, the worst thing at speed would be your wheels falling apart.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    So.. build a bike question whats the poll for? It makes no sense, it should be 1) build from budget, or 2) save and buy built? :?