Average Speed?

macondo01
macondo01 Posts: 706
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Ok real noob question..

I have a 20km race to do, part of a tri. To gauge how well I am doing on the road, beating my PB, is it best to set my computer to average speed, mph, time elapsed? Or just plain go for it? Its a cateye cadence computer.

Cheers.
"Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon

Comments

• can't you just flick between the functions and use all of them to assess your progress?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You need a Power Meter.

Everything else is useless and you won't improve at all, no matter how good your training plan or dedication.

A Power Meter will give you quads of doom like Der Kaiser in approximately 12 weeks by following the NapoleonD QuadPower(tm) workout*

*Also requires signing up to Huntingdon Life Sciences as a testing volunteer for steroid research and development
  • avg speed and a hrm work fine.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    or you can get rid of that and get a tape recorder instead :idea:
  • lol. You mean like having Eye of the Tiger blasting out while cycling?

National Lampoon
  • NapD what's a basic/good power meter. Will have to wait to buy one though after I have run the thread '101 good reasons to justify buying more bike gear to your wife' or 'how to keep you bike purchases secret from your wife and still feed the family and sleep at night'

National Lampoon
  • Anonymous
    Heh heh, tbh I wouldn't worry about any equipment, just time yourself and go by perceived exhertion.

Use the same route to test on and note your times.

logo_simple.png
  • Done and dusted!

National Lampoon
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Heh heh, tbh I wouldn't worry about any equipment, just time yourself and go by perceived exhertion.
    Use the same route to test on and note your times.
    Works for me - often on commuting runs the first couple of splits seem a bit slow. This makes me kick myself and speed up - on a few occasions it's turned out that when I check the wind online I didn't have as good a tail wind as I thought, thus making my adjusted time* far better.

*I like to put stats like speed, windspeed & direction etc. into a spreadsheet where I can CRUSH THEM WITH MY AWESOME DISPLAY OF GEEK POWER
  • Are you doing just the bike leg as part of a relay team or the entire tri? Looking for a pb on the 20k bike leg or the entire tri?
    If looking for a pb that would assume you've done the distance before. How did you guage your effort then? A 20k bike split in a tri would likely be slower than a 20k TT effort since, by and large, you should be guaging your effort to leave enough in your legs for the run. If it's a pb for a tri then you'd have to have done the same tri in the past as not all courses are made equal.

In any event no matter what you're doing I'd flick between speed and avg speed assuming of course you know what your target levels should be in the first place otherwise they're just numbers.
  • Are you doing just the bike leg as part of a relay team or the entire tri? Looking for a pb on the 20k bike leg or the entire tri?
    If looking for a pb that would assume you've done the distance before. How did you guage your effort then? A 20k bike split in a tri would likely be slower than a 20k TT effort since, by and large, you should be guaging your effort to leave enough in your legs for the run. If it's a pb for a tri then you'd have to have done the same tri in the past as not all courses are made equal.

In any event no matter what you're doing I'd flick between speed and avg speed assuming of course you know what your target levels should be in the first place otherwise they're just numbers.

I'm doing a whole sprint tri for the second time on a different course - Tatton Park. So you're right it will be hard to compare like for like. My first tri only produced an overall time 1.34min, and a run time of 34 mins. I guess my swim was 10-11 mins and so my bike was around 49 mins. I'd like to do the bike leg better than this (and the run). So gathering the suggestions I'll calculate some split times for the bike course and flick between av speed/speed. But the rider on all of this is, on reflection, saving my beans for the run.

It's all a learning process. Last time anxious not to dehydrate I drank to much liquid and sloshed round the run dying for the loo. In the end I had to find a tree on the course! :oops: Avoiding that would have saved me a few minutes!!

National Lampoon
  • ric7481
    ric7481 Posts: 103
    Macondo01 wrote:
    Will have to wait to buy one though after I have run the thread '101 good reasons to justify buying more bike gear to your wife' or 'how to keep you bike purchases secret from your wife and still feed the family and sleep at night'

Simples - purchase toys and accessories - secretly put in loft - spend a few days mumbling about that thingamijig, have you seen that whatdoyamaflip etc etc........exclaim delight when you go to the loft for something totally unrelated and "find" that bicycle bit you knew you had ! :lol: - just ensure ALL reciepts and signed for packages are delivered to wok. :D
  • Anonymous
    Macondo01 wrote:
    Are you doing just the bike leg as part of a relay team or the entire tri? Looking for a pb on the 20k bike leg or the entire tri?

I'm doing a whole sprint tri for the second time on a different course - Tatton Park. So you're right it will be hard to compare like for like. My first tri only produced an overall time 1.34min, and a run time of 34 mins. I guess my swim was 10-11 mins and so my bike was around 49 mins. I'd like to do the bike leg better than this (and the run). So gathering the suggestions I'll calculate some split times for the bike course and flick between av speed/speed. But the rider on all of this is, on reflection, saving my beans for the run.

It's all a learning process. Last time anxious not to dehydrate I drank to much liquid and sloshed round the run dying for the loo. In the end I had to find a tree on the course! :oops: Avoiding that would have saved me a few minutes!!

A good training ride will be occuring this sunday...

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12645502
  • Macondo01 wrote:
    Are you doing just the bike leg as part of a relay team or the entire tri? Looking for a pb on the 20k bike leg or the entire tri?

I do loads of these and have tried a few different strategies, my favoured one is flat out in the swim and the bike and hang on for dear life on the run.

I would only ever use percieved effort though any other numer is meaning less unless you have a comparrison.
  • Thanks guys will pm you NapD

National Lampoon