v-brakes on disc only frame

tricky_dicky
tricky_dicky Posts: 211
edited September 2009 in MTB general
looking at buying a frame 2nd hand but its disc specific and i want to use v-brakes as the forks going on are v-brake only (retro build). The frame originally had v-brake bosses but they were removed and a disc mount welded on. Is there a product i can use to convert back to v's?? Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what is there where the Old Vs were?

pics of the stays?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • its this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kona-Kilauea-18-S ... 286.c0.m14

if its not worth pursuing ill wait - im sure that the odd old steel kona frame comes up!
  • nicklouse
    no idea as i can see nothing.

blocked site :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse the picture doesn't tell much but it looks like round stays with no v-brake boss left so an aftermarket bolt-on boss should work I guess (but I'd just fit a BB7 tbh)

not sure where to get bolt on bosses but I'd be interested in a pair for mounting the very excellent Decathlon rear guard to my Evil (which also lacks bosses) for the winter
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • nicklouse
    right the old mounts were ground off.

number of options.

contact a frame builder and get some brazed back on.

OR you can/could get some U shaped mounts the big Cheese comes to mind.

or a V brake mount for a Dr Jekyll might work.

bomberesque
    cheers.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Or just put v brake on the front and disc on the rear. Then when millions of people ask you why you did that, say some really stupid reason like "it balances the bike right".