6 week service....bit disappointed.

Mccraque
Mccraque Posts: 819
edited September 2009 in MTB general
so - had the zesty 514 for about 6 weeks and is going in for its healthcheck next week. On the whole I love the bike but there are a lot of niggles that are annoying me...I would expect a lot more for that money.

Are these normal?

I mentioned in a previous post there seems to be some movement between the disc and the hub on the rear wheel. Cant seem to tighten it and am not sure what is causing it either.

The rear cassette - play in it. in the actual cassette. Can slightly move the large cogs independantly from the small cogs. Can this be solved or is it buggered?

Crunchy bottom bracket? Bearings?

Severe rattling on downhills...much more than chainslap...but again I can't pinpoint it as hard to look at the merchanics when offroading at about 35mph!

Slight play in deraillier hanger.

Have managed about 250 miles in the few weeks I have had it. Expected a bit of bedding in....but the thing seems wrecked!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what did the shop say?

or have you not taken it yet?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hmm, sounds like a load of bolts need torquing up. Have you checked any of them over whilst riding?
    I find that a few headsets will always need tightening up after a few rides for example.
  • it goes in next week. But, being the mechnophobe that I am, I am worried about not knowing enough and therefore getting fobbed off a little.

have stuck my al keys in all the holes I can find to ensure all the bits I can check have been!

Just wanted advice from the board before it goes in really...
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Are the disc bolts tight ?

Sounds like the cassette lock ring needs tightening

Checked for any grit that has got between the crank arms and bb ?

As for the rattling/chain slap. Get yourself some sticky back velcro and cover anywhere where the chain has been hitting. I managed to pretty much silence my reign, took a bit of time but worth it.

There will always be a bit of play in the rear mech, make sure the mech hanger bolt is tight and the wheel quick release is fastened correctly.

I'd write all the faults down and hand them in with the bike, plus anything else that needs looking at
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    As a 514 owner myself I am aware of most of these "issues"

Mech hanger, do the bolts up! and locktite for good measure, remove the rear QR, hangers held in with 2.

Cassette will be the lockring as said above

Disc will need its lock ring doing up

Look behind your drive side seat stay, paint will be chipped due to chain slap due to weakly sprung shimano rear mech and too much chain, shorten that, put some velcro up as mentioned and its much better

All of the above are not really anything to do with the Zesty, its not its fault. Most new bikes have bits come loose, at least its not the stem or something!

No idea on the bottom bracket, suggest removing the cranks, cleaning, refitting to correct torque. Ive had mine since February now and all ive had to replace is the chain and brake pads. The only flaw with the bike is the tyres which I removed after the first ride
  • Anonymous
    breezer wrote:
    chain slap due to weakly sprung shimano rear mech and too much chain,
    SRAM mechs will chainslap as well. Since they both slap, it's quite hard to say if either slaps harder or not - but the spring in SRAM does seem slightly stiffer than Shimano.
  • nicklouse
    Mccraque wrote:
    it goes in next week. But, being the mechnophobe that I am, I am worried about not knowing enough and therefore getting fobbed off a little.

have stuck my al keys in all the holes I can find to ensure all the bits I can check have been!

Just wanted advice from the board before it goes in really...

most of the points raised have been mentioned before but you have done nothing about it? (other than booking it in)

the LBS, if they sold it and others, will be aware of any Zesty issues, but will cover the others in the service.

But as you know about some things that seem wrong mention them so they can check them and tell you about them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
    breezer wrote:
    chain slap due to weakly sprung shimano rear mech and too much chain,
    SRAM mechs will chainslap as well. Since they both slap, it's quite hard to say if either slaps harder or not - but the spring in SRAM does seem slightly stiffer than Shimano.

the design of shimano mechs means they rely heavily on the spring to stop slap. Sram do not and dont slap any way as muchas Shimano.

the main diference is the shimano mechs have sprung mounting pivots. Sram dont.
  • Anonymous
    I've had both manufacturers slap a lot though. I just take it as a fact of life/riding. My main bikes have elevated stays anyway, so I can live my life slap free :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    To be fair, when I did my zesty testride it sounded like it was fully of cutlery, nothing wrong with it, it was just a noisy bike. Get it checked out first but I'd be surprised if there's much wrong with it, you may just be becoming more aware of noise which was always there. You might also be riding it a bit harder without really thinking about it as you get more used to the bike. Bikes are noisy at the end of the day, mechs slap about, etc.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Hmm my Zesty 314 doesn't seem that noisy, no more so than my other bikes at least (certainly less than Orange 5's :p ). The bottom brackets do seem a weak point though, mine went after 3 months and I know someone else on their 3rd BB on an 08 model. The problem is only one BB fits it, the Shimano press-fit model - it's supposedly XTR level (and certainly costs it at £45) but it just doesn't seem very well sealed. You also need specific tools to fit and remove it (well I guess you can hammer it out and you can cludge fitting it using a headset press or even block of wood + vice but you're more likely to break something).

I'm hoping more manufacturers start using the 92mm BB shell that takes press-fit BBs so there will be a market for other BB manufacturers to produce them. Also planning to take it apart when my newly replaced one dies so I can see if I can get replacement bearing and leave the seals fairly intact in the process.
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    If its an XT hub, which I think it is, then you're best to check the cones are tightened correctly fairly oftne as it sounds like your cone lock nut is loose (tends to be the drive side)
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    Mccraque wrote:
    so - had the zesty 514 for about 6 weeks and is going in for its healthcheck next week. On the whole I love the bike but there are a lot of niggles that are annoying me...I would expect a lot more for that money.

Are these normal?

I mentioned in a previous post there seems to be some movement between the disc and the hub on the rear wheel. Cant seem to tighten it and am not sure what is causing it either.

The rear cassette - play in it. in the actual cassette. Can slightly move the large cogs independantly from the small cogs. Can this be solved or is it buggered?

Crunchy bottom bracket? Bearings?

Severe rattling on downhills...much more than chainslap...but again I can't pinpoint it as hard to look at the merchanics when offroading at about 35mph!

Slight play in deraillier hanger.

Have managed about 250 miles in the few weeks I have had it. Expected a bit of bedding in....but the thing seems wrecked!

come undone a bit hasn't it ??
  • Simple answer is to look on the Park Tools or Sheldon Brown sites. Buy a few simple tools and teach yourself. It doesn't need a degree to be a bike mechanic, look in LBS if you don't believe me. Teach yourself, it's easy; ask on here if you get stuck, and then you'll know how things should be, and you can sort out any issues when you're out riding.

It's a piece of p*ss being a bike mechanic; if I can do it anyone can.
    Frank Yates
  • update. ok...so they totally replaced the wheel and hub. Freehub totally shot. common on Shimano XT hubs so they tell me. worrying since they stuck another on.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I would say most bikes from new need readjusting after 20 miles, if not the first ride: the six weeks really is a daft nominal figure.
  • supersonic wrote:
    I would say most bikes from new need readjusting after 20 miles, if not the first ride: the six weeks really is a daft nominal figure.

Some people could have racked up a lot of miles in 6 weeks,and if things go out of adjustmenet in as little as 20 miles,that could result in damage,asseems to be the case here.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • well...as soon as I noticed it was shot I didn't ride it for that reason. But Evans told me that they've had a few of these back under warranty.
  • so an update then....

Evans in fairness have been brilliant. They replaced the wheel and hub FOC as mentioned before. But then...a weekend in Afan and end of the last ride I notice a loose headset and a severely bent rear mech.

I took it back to Evans - obviously had to buy a new rear mech as was sdometihng I had hit (although don't remember it)...they fitted the rear mech FOC as they missed the headset on the first service!

Bloody bike though. Reminds me of Triggers Broom on only fools and horses "Had it all my life....it's had 10 new brushes and 5 handles". Only had it for 2 months and the whole back end has been replaced......but my god is it great fun to ride!
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    buy a Sora or Tiagra GS rear mech . Roadie mechs are stronger and tighter spring ( beats me but it's true)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    True, but the capacity is less.
  • I'm not suprised. i had my 6 week service, picked it up and took it out and noticed the rear hub was loose. there was LOADS of play. it took about 5 turns of the nut to take the play out.

it's going back in on the 5th for another check and this time i'm not leaving until i've gone over the bike with a fine tooth comb. I mean the bloody thing cost me £2.5k, it's not like servicing a car... how the hell could you miss something like that??

I've complained about an other issue when i bought the bike and didn't really get anywhere until i really kicked off.

anyway, won't be spending anymore of my cash at evans.
    LOL road riding.