getting my first bike in a few weeks

Matt the Tester
Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
hi all..

i'm getting my first bike in a few weeks and i don't know much about equipment and what to take when im cycling in general, could someone please what is what for someone just starting out.[/b]
Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
north west of england.

Comments

• A good pair of bibshorts are what turned 40miles from being a hoffific ass burning torture session to something resembling pleasure

I read around and got the giordana tenax laser bib shorts - they seem to be one of the best for the money and i've found them to be great fitting and well padded.

its like sitting on a cloud
  • oo, cheers mate, £60 ouch bit steep lol i still need to buy a helmet and everything else too :shock:
    north west of england.
  • mine were £60 i think but the prices vary massively, google shopping it up and see what you can see.

They are definately worth the money - i spent the 1st 10 months or so of riding thinking that this stuff is well overpriced but it makes a huge difference from the £5 padded shorts i got from Aldi :-)
  • hehe cheers mate anything else i should think about getting?
    north west of england.
  • gloves as its coming up to winter i guess

I reckon i've got minimal stuff - but its still pricey. I got:

helmet
    bib shorts
    gloves
    shoes
    pump (mini for the bike and track for home - you won't get the full psi from the mini one but you'll be screwed if you puncture without it!!)
    Saddle bag and spare tube/repair kit
    and a jersey if you have enough - not strictly neccesary but good for holding food and shizz in the back.
  • ahh i got roughly 100 quid after i buy my bike, i take i need to save some ;)
    north west of england.
  • any info would be fantastic! please help a desperate newbie :)
    north west of england.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Some lights might be a good idea, it'll be dark at half 4 soon.
  • lol yeah any old lights will do yeah?
    north west of england.
  • Evil Laugh
    I was cycling behind my girlfriend at night who had similar cheap lights to me and once she was a few meters in front she wasn't very visible which worried me a bit so I swapped my lights recently for some really bright ones, the back light in particular is very large and bright and I feel a lot more visible/safe cycling though London at night.

I got Cat Eye lights, cost me £50 at Evans, though I'm sure there are better bargains to be had online.
  • ouch expensive lol, there a top priority though so thanks alot!
    north west of england.
  • Evil Laugh
    Personally I'd at least get a decent back light.

This is the one I have.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cat ... t-ec011592
  • I got these lights from Wiggle.co.uk.

Pretty good deal for a set and they are feckin bright. The rear was recommended to me in another thread but it wasn't much more for the set.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Smart ... 360026000/
  • We are in the UK and nobody has mentioned protecting yourself from the rain yet :wink:
  • lol yeah bloody weather im struggling to find the stuff i need at a reasonable price... i only have £100 after i buy my bike to get some equipment.
    north west of england.
  • Check out Giordana's shorts at chainreactioncycles - they have a couple of pairs that have the same insert as the Tenax laser, giving you most of the comfort for £20 less.

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • ahh yes someone told me about them yesterday.

i think what i need is

gloves
    lights
    helmet
    shoes
    puncture repair kit
    bib shorts

how much should that come to if im buying simple basics....

i would like to buy those shorts though.
    north west of england.
  • Helmet has to be no 1 priority !!! (only got one head so protect it is my moto)

Wet weather gear is a must for our inclement weather. Padded shorts are another must !!

I bought two bottle(+cages) and LOOK easy pedals with some proper cycling shoes.

Small saddle bag with tools + spare tubes + mini pump
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!
    north west of england.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Leesykoi wrote:
    Helmet has to be no 1 priority !!! (only got one head so protect it is my moto)

Don't want to open up the helmet debate (yawn) but there's no legal requirement for one and if you're not convinced you need one, don't buy one.

Pls don't start the debate again - it's been done to death. If you want one get one, but don't feel pressured into getting one.
  • thanks for info but i will be buying a cheap helmet
    north west of england.
  • Hi Chris,

Certainly don't want to open a debate with regard to helmet use, just my personal opinion that if i have an 'off' i'm going to do everything i can within reason to minimise personal injury. If that means wearing a helmet so be it !!

Everyone's own personal choice really...

Lee.
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!
  • as a fellow Noob to the cycling scene, and as having first hand experience of the general motorists ignorance and pure indiffernece to our safety, Id just like to add this...

Get a Crash lid... there is NO reason not to.

i dont care if a cyclist of 90 years tells you that its a waste of money and a massive fashion faux pas, think of your own safety.

you can look good dying, or look like a twat that lives to tell the tale.
    exercise.png