RPCC Ride - Sat 12th / Sun 13th Sept.

Rich-Ti
Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
Already the second RPCC ride of September! :shock: :D

I really must search back to see when our first ride was - it must be around about now or sometime soon that RPCC will be 1yr old...

Got a feeling there's a few of us not around again this weekend, once again myself included. I'm likely to be in Worthing Friday night for birthday drinks and not back in London until sometime Saturday afternoon or evening. There's also the Southern Sportive on Sunday which I'm saving myself for so I'll probably barely bother to ride all week to be honest! I know Mal is also doing this - will there be anyone else along? Phipsy has a spare place going too I think as he can't make it now...

Regardless of low numbers and a lack of the original RPCC core riders joining in recently rides have still been going out almost without fail (possible exception being the Bank Holiday weekend, but even then we ran a hoonfest on the Monday!). I'd love it if this continued and I know a lot of the people we ride with (even the newer ones) are taking it upon themselves to show up and join in. I think this is a great testament to the kind of cameraderie that goes on in this group as well as an appreciation of the riding and routes that we do. Nice one folks 8)

So, for those of you coming to join us and talking about the 'normal' ride, usual meet & ride plan:
    :arrow: 9am start on Saturday is most likely,
although keep an eye out as earlier starts seem to be happening now and Sunday might be favoured by some
:arrow: Richmond Gate in Richmond Park, south side (on the left as you come up Sawyer's Hill / on the right if you come through Richmond Gate), by the little white building
:arrow: 80-120k @ 24-28kph / 50-75 miles @ 15-18mph usually, but nobody gets dropped*
:arrow: Boxhill is almost definite (as is a short tea / cake / toilet / bottle refill stop at the top - usually around 15-20mins)
:arrow: Notes regarding the faster 'hoonfest' ride are listed below should a fast ride be mentioned...
I say it every week but I'm not going to stop: I'd like to emphasise that new faces are more than welcome and actively encouraged, and that applies to lurkers / long-time 'thread watchers' / any who haven't been able to make it along previously / those who don't want to commit on here but might feel like turning up on the day - please do join us if you want to! Be good to see some of the faces we have seen over the past months re-appear too! 8)

A collection point at Hampton Court can be arranged as that tends to be the route out. Please let us know if you need to take this option - it's usually just a fly-by quick hello and on the move again so if you plan to use this option we need to know, and please be on time (although there can sometimes be delays getting moving at Richmond Park so there is the potential for us to be a little late coming through). Collection time there is likely to be around 20-30mins after the agreed RP start time so again, keep an eye out.

So, who is about this weekend, which day, which ride, what kind of ride and what start time? :shock: 8) :D

* Please note that faster rides (affectionately referred to as 'hoonfests') have been heading out of late where the average speed is upped to around 32-35kph / 20-22mph over 80km / 50 miles - where this is the case it will be announced as a faster ride, but please be aware that if you get dropped you may not find anyone waiting for you (although you should find a chance to re-group on Box Hill). These rides usually head out on a Sunday and usually follow the same route each time so if you want to have a go please register your interest and make sure you get a route download from someone. Thanks. Note that the 'normal pace' ride often still goes out on the same weekend so that option should still be available to you.

Comments

• NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    If I can shift this cold I should be up for a ride to box hill and back this saturday. Not had many long distance rides lately so my legs will suffer. So need to get back up to fitness so I dont get left for dust too quickly. I state my intention for 8am start but am open to later if thats too early. Am planning to ride all the way to rp via swiss cottage so if any others coming that way let us know.
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    I am out... on call again - last one (for this job anyway). Its a bit of a trek to RP for me now, but at least its flat - I now live at the farthest reach of the KW wednesday night chaingang ride, so about 40 minutes to Richmond gate for me - this is going to take some organising in future :shock:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    Legs are still stiff after the Tour des Cols. Thought it would make me a better climber but may take a while for that to happen. So no hoon fest for me on Sunday.

I was planning on doing the Southern Sportive but have a feeling I will be a no show and possibly up for a medium ride Saturday.

Who is in?
  • Rich-Ti
    Found it! 8) :lol:

Brought back memories reading that thread! :D
  • NWLondoner
    Berns what route do you have in mind?
  • Berns12
    NWLondoner wrote:
    Berns what route do you have in mind?

If I am leading it, I am planning on the usual run out to Hampton Court, then to the top of Coombe, hang a left and head down, up the Crocknorth, across Ranmore and up Box Hill and the usual run home. I sorta know my way down the longer route but been feeling quite sick this week and muscles still tight after the Tour des Cols so not wanting to do the longer route.

Are you planning on coming NW?
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    Berns12 wrote:

Who is in?

probably me; I need to conquer Crocknorth. What time?
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • NWLondoner
    Well as you have said turn left at top of combe hill count me in :-) what time are you up for?
  • NWLondoner
    To be honest I need to keep this up and turn up religiously. May even give the kingston wheelers or dynamo sunday club run a try on sunday week.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • voxegam
    voxegam Posts: 244
    Count me out :( .....managed to crash on a slippy descent whilst out with Tom (Petromyzon) today......lost a fair amount of skin and fractured my hand *sigh* ......just as training was going well and I was starting to gain some speed.....typical really.
    Have fun this weekend though (and watch out for the slippery stuff). :lol::lol::lol:
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
    Planet-X (now winter-bike)
  • Rich-Ti
    Man, that sucks - sorry to hear that James :(
  • gbs
    to voxegram: sorry to read of yr accident and am impressed at yr fortitude in posting so promptly.

Is there anything we can learn? Why slippery for example? Where?
  • voxegam
    voxegam Posts: 244
    It was slippery just because it was wet I think....having said that, we did see quite a lot of moss about as a thin layer on some of the roads. Unfortunately not really sure of the place. After the long drag through the woods after Peaslake, you do a descent. Then you appear at a junction, turn right then a quick left.....going along that road, there is a very sharp hill thats always pretty tiring. We were going down that, so I crashed on the sharp right hand bend at the bottom. So not much to learn really from it gbs.....except never to get too confident on slippy descents. Also, try not to crash on the furthest point from home on the planned route :x
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
    Planet-X (now winter-bike)
  • gbs
    to voxegram: thanks for comment. I hope that you heal well and quickly.

Whoops: SWMBO has just reminded me of a commitment on sat 12th. :oops:
  • Rich-Ti
    gbs wrote:
    Whoops: SWMBO has just reminded me of a commitment on sat 12th. :oops:
    Your bike can talk?!! :shock:
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Rich-Ti wrote:

You're telling me.... what a bunch of numpties we were *sigh* :D

Sorry to hear about your injury, James... at least you had someone vaguely useful to help as a riding partner...
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • NWLondoner
    Ouch!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your crash James. Hope your wounds heal quickly.

Sods law you had to go down on the furthest part of the route :roll:

Although no one has asked to most important thing. HOWS THE BIKE :wink:
  • NWLondoner
    Rich-Ti wrote:

That was a funny read, it's amazing that it ever lasted this long :shock: Art waiting at Roehampton gate, what a classic

Still, good on Rich and the other core riders for getting this up and running, plus keeping it going :D
  • Yes Cheers Rich (& everyone else) - I've really enjoyed a great summer of riding.

James - hope to see you out soon.
  • Berns12
    NWLondoner wrote:
    To be honest I need to keep this up and turn up religiously. May even give the kingston wheelers or dynamo sunday club run a try on sunday week.

Give both a go, but I have a feeling you maybe more inclined to follow most of us (including Rich who defected to the 'Mo's) as Dynamo rides leave from RP or Hampton Court (depending on the group you choose) which would be more accessible for you.

This weekend, does 8.45 suit? A happy medium for all?

With Rich off in Worthing, Phips in the Rapha team car, it leaves me, GBS, NW at this stage it appears.
  • gbs
    Berns, hello (again).

My availability on sunday is certain but saturday is unclear; we have a prior commitment but my wife is under the weather, but not seriously so, and thus we may withdraw leaving me free on saturday.

I assume that are you considering saturday which is the default day for these rides.
  • Berns12
    gbs wrote:
    Berns, hello (again).

My availability on sunday is certain but saturday is unclear; we have a prior commitment but my wife is under the weather, but not seriously so, and thus we may withdraw leaving me free on saturday.

I assume that are you considering saturday which is the default day for these rides.

Yep meant Saturday. Sunday is a no-go for me unfortunately. Hope to see you out there!
  • NWLondoner
    8.45 is fine with me. Hopefully jo9 and julian can tag along too.
  • J09
    J09 Posts: 122
    Don't worry James. You still have your other hand. And the legs will get well quick, so you can quickly be on a roller...

As for this weekend, the forecast is looking rainny.

Saturday probably have to go to the vet with my cat. Probably will ride on sunday...

Further updates until friday (I hope).
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    Cripes Voxegam! Happens to us all, you're young you'll recover fast!
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • Mark73
    Mark73 Posts: 146
    Hi folks - Is it alright if i stick my newbie hat in for this Saturday's ride?

I spoke to Rich a few weeks back asking if it would be okay to join you lot at some point and
    figured this Saturday might be a good opportunity to break my duck.

What do you reckon?

As I mentioned to Rich I am not exactly a speed merchant, but I am no lump of lard either so
    I am hoping I will be able to keep up and not bring too much shame upon myself or my family.
  • NWLondoner
    Hi Mark

To be honest as it looks like being a small gathering this saturday it would be a good time to come along.

For myself it would be good to see another newbie. I'm still pretty new to the group but my few rides have been enjoyable (if painful)

The route out of Richmond usually runs pretty fast but you'll find it pretty easy to keep up.

Come along as it's a good route and Berns is a good guy. Just forgive the fact he wears a dynamo jersey :wink: