Look Keo pedals

mask of sanity
mask of sanity Posts: 610
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Why is it that when you're not clipped in they rotate to be upside down?! They must have been able to make pedals that didn't do that so whats the reason for them doing it!?

Comments

• I changed to Shimano pedals when I bought my new bike and the biggest advantage I can find is that they're easier to clip into because they don't rotate upside down. Much easier to find them without having to look down.
  • I got used to them, and actually like them tipping upside down. I can clip in without looking now, your foot rotates the pedal as you move to clip it in.
  • Yes you should be able to hit them and clip in without looking - just a matter of getting used to them - it's actually easier to do it by feel than looking.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • +1 for look pedals. You just have to get used to them, and once you have you'll never look back! (no pun intended)
    Road: Felt AR0, Di2
    Touring/commute: Dolan Multricross
    TT: PX Exocet Sold because it was like a sail in the wind (sh*t)
  • I don't have an issue clipping in most of the time, just last night i forgot to take my cycling shoes to work so had to cycle home in my work shoes and it was a pain having to turn the pedals round as the shoes had no grip. Just got me wondering why the pedals are positioned to be upside down when not clipped in.
  • It's just gravity pulling the heaviest part of the pedal down - a bit like toast always landing butter side down if you drop it :wink:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • It's just gravity pulling the heaviest part of the pedal down - a bit like toast always landing butter side down if you drop it :wink:
    :lol: I understand the physics of it, just don't get why they are designed in such a way.
  • a bit like toast always landing butter side down if you drop it :wink:
    Ah, the joys of physics...http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/06/kittytop1.png[/u]
    Road: Felt AR0, Di2
    Touring/commute: Dolan Multricross
    TT: PX Exocet Sold because it was like a sail in the wind (sh*t)
    :lol: I understand the physics of it, just don't get why they are designed in such a way.

Well... there is more material at the back of the pedal, so is always going to be heavier. Unless you then weight the front of the pedal, but this creates a heavier pedal...

I like them turning upside down, is a natural motion to bring your foot forwards onto the pedal, which turns them over and clips on in one motion.

Also, another positive; Look shoe cleats are only £10-12, when shimano ones are over £20 now :shock:
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    djbarren wrote:
    I have just changed from shimano ultegra pedals to look keo carbon ones and In all fairness they are a better pedal, with regard to easde of clipping in and looks.

Yes, I found Keos to be much easier to clip into than SPD-SL. I just couldn't seem to catch the pedal reliably with the tip of the cleat with the SLs. I gave up in the end and got Keos which were great right from the start.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."