Campag / Shimano Compatible

JesG
JesG Posts: 2
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Hi,
Can anyone help out with a bit of shifter advice, i'm riding a Hybrid / commuter at the minute with carbon fork, however am thinking about converting it with drops bars shifters etc and doing more road miles, i'm looking at a few shifters and wondered if campag 9 speed shifters would be compatible with Shimano 9 speed rear mech and cassette.

Has anyone read the Tim Moore book about his exploits on the Tour De France route, lots of laughing, def worth a read

any advice would be very welcome

cheers

JesG :?:

Comments

• In theory, no. In practice, maybe :D
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    No, I thnk you'll find there is a different ratio of cable movement between the two manufacturers.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • The CTC writes on this extensively,

But from memory, a Campag 11-speed shifter pulls the right amount of cable for a Shimano 9 rear mech. Alternatively, a 10 speed Campy is spot-on for a Shimano 8-speed cassette/mech, for which you could use a Shimano 9-speed mech.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    I've just put a Campag 10 speed shod wheel on my Ultegra equipped Giant and all but one cog work. The middle cog clatters a bit but if avoided the transmission is fine.

Coming from a 9-speed low end Campag set up, I have been amazed at the difference in shift quality between the two.

Untimately I will replace the wheels but for now its fine.