Aching fingers...

type_grim
type_grim Posts: 54
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Hi guys,

Last Friday and Saturday, i did a fair chunk of the South Downs Way.

Some great climbs, beautiful scenery and rapid descents.

I have a Stumpjumper Marathon Carbon with the S90 FutureShock.

Towards the end of the first day, i could hardly pull back on the brake levers because my fingers ached so much?

I just wondered what this could be? Am i gripping too tight? Trailing the brake too much on a descent? Or perhaps the shock is set too hard? Bad circulation?

As i'm sure you all know, most of the descents were very rocky and uneven.

Any advice most appreciated.

G

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Check:

1. The angle of your levers - when riding you should have a nice relaxed line from your arms right through to the levers without having to bend your wrist.

2. The size of your grips - I have big hands and thin grips on a long ride can leave my hands feeling weak and sore.

3. Yes, you might be gripping too tight.

4. Not sure what level of rider you are. If you are new to this then your hands may just be protesting simply because they are not used to riding. They'll get stronger.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • I have recently changed the grips... but only to black versions of the ones that came with the bike.

I have been riding on and off most of my life; trials when i was a lot younger, then i got a Rockhopper that served many years, and then i bought the Stumpy earlier this year. Its only been in the last year or so that i have been doing a lot more miles and rides like the above, i'm usually alright!

I will check my levers later as they are usually well below the bars.

The other thing i thought i may have been is my gloves. I have fingerless gloves but the gel section appears to be knackered.

G
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Get new gloves with padding, thicker grips (maybe even ergo), line up the lever properly, make sure the bite point is as close to the grip as possible, one finger brake, don't hold too tight, stay nice and relaxed, etc. etc.
  • Release your death-grip on the bars!!!

I know (or at least I think I do!!!) what you mean. I get this on my MX bike, as it's so brutal, it's hard to hold onto the bars, especially when accelerating up jumps and stuff.

Just don't grip so tight! It helps to figure out why though - common cause is the suspension being set too hard, or compression damping too slow.

Also, you'll probably find it's easier to ride really rocky stuff, with a slightly lesser grip. Just make sure your front forks have the correct compression damping set good (not too slow), and the correct spring rate / air pressure for your weight.

Try it, and give it a go!!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Brake levers should be about in line with your arms.

and the levers should be closer to the grips than you think.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown