joining a club

fluided
fluided Posts: 114
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Hello All

I am thinking of joining a club as it gets a little boring going out on my own all the time

the thing I'm worried about is being able to keep up with them as I have no one to compare with.

I done this ride the other day

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/12571375

the question is am I to slow or was time /distance ok

cheers for the help

Phil

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I can't open map because of works IT security levels, but I would say you need to be able to average approx. 16mph over 40-60 miles for a club run.
    Different clubs have different groups. I would strongly recommend that you contact your local clubs and speak with them direct.
    That's the best way to progress. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    With your max speed you should be fine;

Timing:Time: 05:40:28 Avg Speed: 13.1 mph Max Speed: 138.9 mph

:lol:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • It really depends on your club. Topically, I went along on Charlotteville CC's beginners' ride yesterday morning. It was 32 miles in total, and averaged about 12 miles an hour, according to my GPS. A few hills, only one properly steep, nothing too difficult.
    At the end I asked the people leading the ride and they were very positive about me coming on the regular club ride - it splits by ability anyway, so while it will be more challenging it won't be impossible.
    Really nice bunch of people too, glad I made the effort, even if I did have to sacrifice my lie-in!
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!
  • fluided
    The max speed what a rush 138.9mph :lol:

I don't know ho that happened.
  • fluided
    Hopper isn't it easier to ride faster in a group than on your own.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    fluided wrote:
    Hopper isn't it easier to ride faster in a group than on your own.

Yes, it is.
    If you speak to a club and arrange to join in for a trial run, you'll not be expected to take a turn on the front and will notice the benefits of drafting a group of riders.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Penn
    Penn Posts: 22
    My local club has 3 different runs depending on skill,

18 mph average
    12 mph average
    and "fun"

So I'm sure your club will probebly have something similer.
  • http://www.redhillcc.co.uk/calendar/eve ... entid=1266

We do 4 rides each Saturday morning and never drop anybody. Your average would be fine for the short one and the social - it's a lot easier in a group
  • You'll find it a lot easier riding with a club, and it'll be fun so do give it a try. If your your local club is a "racing team" then you may need to work on your fitness - but most cycling clubs have a traditional club run and you should be fine. A good club won't leave anyone behind. A new guy came out with my club recently and started off only doing the first hour - and he built up the distance gradually over three weeks - rather than putting himself under any pressure. This worked great for him, and he's now completing 60 and 70 mile rides with ease. Your mapped ride looks like it was quite hilly, so a tad under 14 mph is quite good fopr a newbie. My advice... be bold... go for it!

http://www.gregarios.co.uk :lol:
  • You'll find it a lot easier riding with a club, and it'll be fun so do give it a try. If your your local club is a "racing team" then you may need to work on your fitness - but most cycling clubs have a traditional club run and you should be fine. A good club won't leave anyone behind. A new guy came out with my club recently and started off only doing the first hour - and he built up the distance gradually over three weeks - rather than putting himself under any pressure. This worked great for him, and he's now completing 60 and 70 mile rides with ease. Your mapped ride looks like it was quite hilly, so a tad under 14 mph is quite good fopr a newbie. My advice... be bold... go for it!

http://www.gregarios.co.uk :lol:
  • fluided
    Thanks for the info you have made my mind up I think I will go for it I will let you all know how I get on

cheers
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Ive been a member of two clubs - I always go with the second group. My average for a solo 25 has been as low as 13, - but I had no trouble keeping up with an average of 15 mph. Current club regroups at the top of climbs.

I always though it was bad etiquette to ride on the front, as the run usually has a leader - whom you don't go past - apart from on climbs. Definitely do it - if you do get dropped - it really isn't such a big deal - you just ride solo - which you probably already do !
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    kingrollo wrote:
    Ive been a member of two clubs - I always go with the second group. My average for a solo 25 has been as low as 13, - but I had no trouble keeping up with an average of 15 mph. Current club regroups at the top of climbs.

I always though it was bad etiquette to ride on the front, as the run usually has a leader - whom you don't go past - apart from on climbs. Definitely do it - if you do get dropped - it really isn't such a big deal - you just ride solo - which you probably already do !

Never heard of it being bad etiquette to not take your turn on the front. Usually everyone takes there share of the work, in pairs.
  • I would say check out the local clubs and ask what they have available. It's not a criticism of clubs or yourself - but I think you will find yourself not quite quick enough for some club runs - not all clubs have a range of rides to cater for all.

Go along and try a few rides before joining - and be aware that some clubs will have informal groups going out that will welcome you - a club internet forum is often useful for new members to hook up with others.

Etiquette probably differs - in our club you'd normally come through and do a bit on the front but if you are suffering people would prefer you to sit in the group rather than blow up and have everyone waiting for you - there will be strong riders who are quite happy to sit on the front for the training benefit. Most are probably relatively informal like that - it's just a group of cyclists and there are no hard and fast rules about things like this.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.