Boardman Comp or Team?

nicol1980
nicol1980 Posts: 15
edited September 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys/girls,

Im new to the mountain biking scene and i am looking for advice on which of the two bikes above would be best for a novice. Basically i am going to start doing trails and maybe taking it up the North of Scotland for some routes i have been looking at. My main problem is deciding between these two bikes. I know the boardmans get a good write up but with my lack of experiance would i really notice the difference in the componentry ? this conflicts however with the rule of thumb of getting the best frame and fork that you can afford.

P.S This is through the B2W scheme.

Any help or advice is much appreciated

Comments

• canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    FS OR HT ?

They come in both as far as I know
  • You will notice differences yes, especially when it comes to fork upgrades. You'd notice a difference going to the Pro as well, but at some point you have to set a budget. Buy the best you can afford I reckon.

Although if you go for the cheaper option, does that mean you can buy some nice riding gear to go with it.....?
  • sorry guys for lack of info.

The two im looking at are HT.

By buying the lower of the two i would be able to shell out for some equipment to go with it i.e helmet, lights, bike lock etc. but if i thought it was better to just get the stuff on my own and fork out for the better bike i would probably do that.
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    Your riding will be better with a better bike,

But if you are only going to use it for occasional use then try the cheaper, and if you really get into it, you can upgrade a year or so down the line, or when parts start breaking.

I got a bike and it went from 1000.00 to 3000.00 due to upgrades as really got into it.

IMHO
  • Whilst the extra £150 spent on the Team,get you X9/X0 in lieu of X7/X9,a slightly better chaiset,Reba Race forks instead of SL and carbon levers on the brakes,in reality I doubt most of us would notice the upgrades in normal riding.

Yes ,shifts might be a tinsy bit better,but if you smash an x9 mech its only £50 to replace,if you trash an X0 you`re looking at £130,to replace it.The only difference on the forks is the addition,of an external adjustment of the floodgate,which is something you will rarely use,and the carbon levers will save all of about 40g.

The £150 saved will go a long way to getting you kitted out with a lid (essential),decent riding shorts and spd/shoes which will make a more definite improvement on you riding experience.

If you can comfortably afford the extra £150 for the Team ,by all means go for it,but if you are on a tighter budget,the Comp is more than good enough.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Spiderman, you have just described the difference between the Team and Pro...the lad is looking at the Comp and Team.

Got a Team, love it. Was going to go for a Comp but glad I made the difference up.

Recon is a good fork but Reba is a step up. If you can afford the Team, get it.
  • Thanks for all the input guys.

Looks like i will go for the team. I might not notice the differences right away but if i get into it then i reap the benefit from the upgraded parts as it would probably cost a lot more to upgrade them individually. Should get the bike in a week or so and will let you know how i get on.

Thanks
  • Stoo61 wrote:
    Spiderman, you have just described the difference between the Team and Pro...the lad is looking at the Comp and Team.

Got a Team, love it. Was going to go for a Comp but glad I made the difference up.

Recon is a good fork but Reba is a step up. If you can afford the Team, get it.

Whoops! :oops:

Get the Team! :wink:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo