Halfords Carrera tdf 09 ony £200 brand new ??

merlie
merlie Posts: 276
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
... so I've been searching for a half decent 2nd hand road bike. Didnt want to plunge straight in there and spend loads of money ... but Ive just seen in Halfords on line this

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65710#dtab

Is this a bargain that I should go for ?

Comments

• guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    If it's the right size then it's good for £200. Would quickly want a better bike if you enjoy road riding though. Worth a punt as a bike to try out the dark side on and for commuting, but it won't be light...... although lighter and faster than your MTB
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    Take that original price of £429 with a pinch of salt, but for £200 you can't go wrong really.
  • OSOH
    OSOH Posts: 153
    This was £270 a few weeks ago, doesn't seem that different to the £320 Carrera Virtuoso which I had for a short time, in my (total beginner) opinion a decent budget bike if you have the patience to deal with Halfords customer DIS-service (I decided I didn't!!) Seems a great price though, if you know what you're doing or (shock horror) have a decent local branch.
    It may seem there's light at the end of the tunnel, but it's actually an oncoming train.
  • Seems that the web design department have a similar knowledge to some of the shop staff:

"dual control break/gear levers"

:wink:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • OSOH
    That sounds about right :roll: I ended up going the second hand route, £200 for a better spec Carrera (Vanquish) but of course with the advantage of not relying on Halfords for the servicing.

Bear in mind that if you're not confident with bikes yourself, and have a poor local store, you'll still have to take it back for a service 6 weeks after buying (warranty requirement presumably) and risk having it messed up again. Of course, if neither of these issues apply, then great! It is nice to have a shiny new bike, just wasn't worth the aggro for me as someone unwilling to deal with problems caused by poor setup.
    It may seem there's light at the end of the tunnel, but it's actually an oncoming train.
  • I bought one a few weeks ago at the £248 price or 258 which ever it was. Bike is fine but the gears need a bit of tweaking I managed to get it slightly better my self but intend to take to my local cycling shop for a proper setup.
    Ive tried both my local halfords and they are both rubbish.
    Even though its a nice bike for the money I am all ready lusting after a better quality one now I know I like it trouble is second hand I doubt its worth much must have lost a 100 quid soon as I bought it hehe
    Popping a few quid in the bike jar every week now for some thing of better quality :)
  • OSOH
    Out of curiosity, just looked at the Carrera TDF completed listings on Ebay (I really need to get off the computer!! :lol: ) several seem to be fetching about £200 - one used bike in immaculate condition went for £275, another for £245 :shock: I suppose it depends, like anything, on condition and wording of the listing - I didn't bother with ebay though for a used bike, as they seem to fetch a lot more than many people sell them for.

Anyway, sorry for the rather pointless post, just thought I'd mention it in case you did decide to sell. Makes me appreciate the price I paid secondhand :o
  • OSOH wrote:
    Out of curiosity, just looked at the Carrera TDF completed listings on Ebay (I really need to get off the computer!! :lol: ) several seem to be fetching about £200 - one used bike in immaculate condition went for £275, another for £245 :shock: I suppose it depends, like anything, on condition and wording of the listing - I didn't bother with ebay though for a used bike, as they seem to fetch a lot more than many people sell them for.

Anyway, sorry for the rather pointless post, just thought I'd mention it in case you did decide to sell. Makes me appreciate the price I paid secondhand :o

Yea I avoid ebay as theres loads of competition for any bargains and they end up going for too much.
    You can get the odd buy it now bargain if you catch it or an overlooked/wrongly described item
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    thats a lot of bike for £200! - if you fancy it then snap it up as people will buy them a winter bikes and they will disapear!
  • had a belt around the back roads on mine tonight and I am getting more confident and the gears just need a minor tweak I reckon but didnt cause me any problems and I was flying at least for me :)
    for 200 quid you cant go wrong unless your going the £500 plus route
  • Just getting into cycling again after a few years of too much Guinness and pies, this bike is doing the business for me. Unless you are getting seriously involved in it then why spend a shedload more when the biggest improvements (at least in my case) are to be found with improving fitness rather than a better bike
  • KevinMcC wrote:
    Just getting into cycling again after a few years of too much Guinness and pies, this bike is doing the business for me. Unless you are getting seriously involved in it then why spend a shedload more when the biggest improvements (at least in my case) are to be found with improving fitness rather than a better bike

yea x Guinness and pie man me self :)