Unusual sensation occuring in both of my legs.

freehub
freehub Posts: 4,257
edited September 2009 in Training, fitness and health
Hi.

Well I've not being cycling much, today was my 3rd ride in 2 or 3 weeks but I'm slowly building back up riding now as my knee is improving.

In the past 3 weeks I've done 3 rides, one was the same route as today, I did 47 miles, the other one was 21 miles in that mad wind we had, and today was 55 miles, I was going to do a 76 mile loop with over double the amount of climbing but I'm glad I cancelled it when I found I was going anti clockwise.

The problem is, gradually over the rides, an unusual and annoying sensation develops in my legs, it's hard to explain, it's sort of pain/stinging/cramp, but it can't of being cramp as I could still move my legs fine and stopping did not solve it, about 30-35 miles in it was getting worse and giving me a sort of false sense of tiredness, basically I felt like I had done over 100 miles, but my performance was only minimally effected, on the hills it was effected more so. I first noticed this on a 170 mile ride I did some weeks ago, but it was very mild and only lasted about 20 miles, the same occurred some weeks after that on a 160 mile ride, since that ride knee problems made me stop cycling much. So I was thinking 3 rides in 2 or 3 weeks maybe it's just my fitness that has made this feeling worse? But 3 weeks I should not really lose any fitness since I have not 100% stopped cycling.

The other thing I notice is with this I've had abit of lower back ache on the bike, now my position has not altered at all, I've checked the seat post and it has not slipped, handlebars are fine too, and this position was perfect for weeks after It was altered at Paul Hewitts once I got used to it, no back ache nothing.

Any idea what could be causing it? right now about 45 mins after getting back my legs are feeling fine but from the experience of last time they'll soon seize up as if I've done a 100+ mile ride that's very hilly and it'll take the same period of recovery for it to go.

Sorry for the long post I'm not good at shortening things.

Thanks
Will.

Comments

• 3 rides in 3 weeks? You've just lost fitness by the sounds of it...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    yeah - sounds like tiredness to me - welcome to the non-awesome cyclist club with the rest of us :wink: - One imagines you will only need a temporary membership though

Think I've worn this analogy out now?!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    3 rides in 3 weeks really enough to loose fitness????? I thought 2 weeks you'd still be in a window of improvement? How long you reckon till I improve? I'm not planning on doing much more than 2 rides a week at the moment I don't want to be pushing my knee too much.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/12712914 That's the loop I did, it had some short 13 or so % bits and some steady 5-8% bits but as you can see it's not that hilly.

I've done TT's before thrashing it like mad and I don't get this sensation? Even pushing it at the end of a 130 miles ride in the last 10 miles I've never got this awfull sensation.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Sorry, I ve no idea dude....way out of my depth here!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver