Carbon/Ceramic brake pads

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Just come back from Sherwood Pines today, Had a awesome time as usual!

I have been trying some new EBC Red Carbon/Ceramic pads for my Hayes Stroker Trail brakes. Very impressed. Feel and power are much improved, Don't know about pad life but will keep you all updated. Highly worth while.

PS Get to Sherwood Pines as well, some really good Red/Blue runs. Got proper soaked though as it p**sed it down half way through!!

Before:

Main2.jpg

After:

After.jpg

Comments

• heh, that second picture looks like my bike when I pull it out of the garage to go for a ride :wink:
  • I also fitted EBCs recently. They're a pretty well known car brake disc manufacturer so I have high expectations. I went Red/Front, Green/Back. only one ride on them so far, which was positive but new pads vs fekked ones always will feel nice!
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    you need to come to wales boy! we'll show you mud! thats not mud, its a light smattering of dust!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Ha will pop down to Wales then next time! cheers
  • Are EBC the makers of disco brakes? I can't be bothered checking the packet my pads came in but im pretty sure they are, I got some stickers of a disco dancer to stick all over my bike with my pads, lmao, very cool they look too in a deeply uncool kinda way :D the main thing I came on this thread to say was I'm a bit confused with this whole pad compound thing, ceramic sound good but for my avid elixir 5's ceramic pads are cheaper than sintered, so why do people think the ceramic pads are the ultimate when clearly it's sintered? unless its some kind of performance/durability trade off going on. :roll:
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    For performance yes but sintered will heat up much faster and can be very noisy so there's always a trade off

I have semi sintered, i get most of the benefits and a bit of noise when wet though if i ran ceramic id lose a bit of bite and have a bit more longevity.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X