Turbo trainer or winter clothing?

mask of sanity
mask of sanity Posts: 610
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Have a bit of money to spend and want to spend it on stuff that allows me to cycle through the winter. So would my money be better spent on a turbo trainer or on winter clothing/accessories? (can't really afford both).

Any recomomendations on products would also be gratefully received :)

Cheers, Rich.

Comments

• bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    I would say you're better off with winter clothing if you can only have one or the other. Riding on the turbo day in, day out will drive you completely spare. I would say the turbo would be a good purchase if you were going to use it 50/50 riding on the road, but not for full-time training.

If you do decide to go down the turbo option, have a look at Tacx trainers, something with a bit of interactivity, or at the very least speed and power to keep it interesting.
  • i voted for clothes. nothing replaces being out on the bike. of course there are days when it's just not safe or possible to go out riding but on the whole, some nice all weather gear and some mudguards (the new crud road racers look smart) will be enough.

i find any kind of exercise bike/turbo trainer to be mind numbingly boring.
  • Clothes.

I've just bought a Tacx Flow trainer with the power meter (a bit dodgy) and other interactive stuff, but any longer than 45minutes just isn't going to happen.

Starting to go mad at not being able to go out on the road for a proper spin!
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Clothes.

I have winter clothes, turbo and rollers, but my priority would be decent clothes.
    I would advise to max your budget when buying winter kit, it is key to your training to feel comfortable in the winter conditions.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    I see that you are based in Bristol. If you can pick it up from Minehead you can have my turbo for £60 and have money left for clothes.

It is a very quiet MinouraVFS-G which has fluid as well as magnetic resistance, variable from a cable control. It is one of the easiest turbos to fit your bike to and scored 9 (recommended buy in Cycling Plus January 2008. Cost £200 and hardly used.

Send me a pm if you are interested.
    http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/5290/turbo004.jpg
  • Decent winter clothes. I don't have a turbo and the idea of sitting staring at four walls while spinning away doesnt appeal. We do get some reasonable days even in deep mid winter
    2 Wheels or not 2 wheels..That is not in question.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Depends whether you work 9 - 5. I do and as such, without a turbo, I'm restricted to weekend riding as it's pitch black by the time I'm home. If weekend riding's ok for you then get wrapped up and go for it. A ride on a cold, crisp, bright morning is fantastic!
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Clothes.

Great intentions when I got it..... at least it folds and fits away nicely.

Very boring, very very sweaty (even with a fan on). I'll probably get it out again this winter and once again have good intentions.

My main plan though is riding before work (5:30am) or to work and back when possible and bought some extra clothes for the chilly winter.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Cheers for all the input. Looks like clothes are the way to go then! Just have the joy of shopping for it all now :P
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I must be some kind of masochist, I enjoy doing turbo workouts (I have various training videos like CTS Trainright, Spinervals, Realrides, Tacx video of Galibier/Alpe d'huez and so on) or there are things like www.thesufferfest.com.

Failing that I'll watch a film. Last winter I watched all the James Bond films (not one straight after the other I might add!)

That said, I still get out on the bike when I can, I'm more restricted by the fact my wife works virtually opposite shifts to me so I have to have the kids.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    You don't have to spend mega bucks on clothes and look out for second hand rollers, or advertise for some. You should be able to pick up a second hand trainer of sorts for 20-30 quid. Clothing wise Altura night vision windstopper takes some beeting and it is quite waterproof http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Altura-Night-Vi ... _12005.htm
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Turbo. Get a cheapo HR monitor too.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    Enough clothes to get out at the weekend to do the longer rides - bib tights, a windproof jacket, winter gloves and neoprene overshoes are the main things. PLUS a cheap s/h turbo to use during the week or when the weather is just too bad.

I have no problem using the turbo, I train on mine all year round, but sessions longer than an hour need a high boredom threshold. I have done my usual Sat 2h tempo ride on the turbo without too much trouble, but the Sun 4h endurance rides are just too tedious to be bearable - I've gone out and got drenched rather than sit in my shed for those.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    +1 winter clothes.

I purchased an exercise bike a couple of years ago. Bloody thing attracts dust like no ones business. Only used it a few times, my god it is brain numbing to use.

I sweat more after 20 minutes use than i do after a 4 hour ride :?
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    I'm not going to argue with anyone about riding is better than a turbo. Of course it is. It's miles better than a turbo. But you have to face facts that during our winters, it get very cold, wet, icy, and dark. Was it not earlier this year the roads were iced up, and covered in snow for weeks? They were round my way. I remember just after xmas I was in the garage on my turbo and there was two foot of snow outside. No winter clothing is going to help in that situation? And as someone has said already if your happy to ride a weekends or are able to get out in the week (day time) then clothes would be the best way without a doubt. If however you work office hours you are going to be restricted somewhat, unless your hardcore. (I don't know many hardcore riders). I would (& did) vote for a turbo.

Plus points to the turbo (if you can get into it) are you can have a blast anytime. And as everyone keeps saying you'll last an 1 hour at most anyways so it's better for time management? You'll be constantly pedalling and sweat buckets indoors. An hr is as good workout. (No cafe stops, no free rolling etc).

Personally I hook the Ipod, put a floor stand fan on & set myself a bit of a programme and just get on with it. I know it's not as good as being out on the open road, but it does help me 'ride' three times a week. I just concentrate on other things, like my HR, breathing, time, my riding position, cadence etc, etc.

And finally I would say if you get a turbo, its always there. It will last a while (several years) and can be ready to use anytime, and it is without a doubt safer? There's no WVM or BMW 4x4's in my garage!
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    See how much NWLondoner wants for his trainer, it's 2 years old (old fasioned ) coveed in dust (take ages to get it shiney again ). His brains gone numb so he should be glad of a tenner for it. ( Yep I'm a Yorkshire man :lol: )
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    My cycling is very much restricted to weekends only during the winter, but even so I would prefer getting out in the fresh air. I do spin classes at the gym during the week and they're better than any turbo trainer.

If you are going to buy second hand for the best the deals, do so out of season. The whole world and his wife is bidding on Ebay at the moment. So if you've got one to sell...
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • zedders wrote:
    I'm not going to argue with anyone about riding is better than a turbo. Of course it is. It's miles better than a turbo. But you have to face facts that during our winters, it get very cold, wet, icy, and dark. Was it not earlier this year the roads were iced up, and covered in snow for weeks? They were round my way. I remember just after xmas I was in the garage on my turbo and there was two foot of snow outside. No winter clothing is going to help in that situation? And as someone has said already if your happy to ride a weekends or are able to get out in the week (day time) then clothes would be the best way without a doubt. If however you work office hours you are going to be restricted somewhat, unless your hardcore. (I don't know many hardcore riders). I would (& did) vote for a turbo.

Plus points to the turbo (if you can get into it) are you can have a blast anytime. And as everyone keeps saying you'll last an 1 hour at most anyways so it's better for time management? You'll be constantly pedalling and sweat buckets indoors. An hr is as good workout. (No cafe stops, no free rolling etc).

Personally I hook the Ipod, put a floor stand fan on & set myself a bit of a programme and just get on with it. I know it's not as good as being out on the open road, but it does help me 'ride' three times a week. I just concentrate on other things, like my HR, breathing, time, my riding position, cadence etc, etc.

And finally I would say if you get a turbo, its always there. It will last a while (several years) and can be ready to use anytime, and it is without a doubt safer? There's no WVM or BMW 4x4's in my garage!

Great post and I concur....
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Winter clothes and decent lights! If you can't ride after work then ride to work (or 10-15 miles to a train station to get to work) and back. I have had an exercise bike for years and it's a great clothes horse, but it's not the same as getting out and seeing the world on 2 wheels
  • Seeing as time is really not an issue for me (I'm a student...) I'm definitely leaning towards the clothing. There are some definite advantages of the turbo that have been pointed out but I probably have time to get out for two hours each weekday should I want to, so can go when the weather is better suited for riding.
  • +1 winter clothes I also will carry on mountain biking night rides as well as regular spins on the road bike..thats the plan anyway, I will also try spinning classes and continue to go circuit training, that should help maintain and even build on my fitness. I do have a Turbo trainer but it vibrate like hell so think the magnetic roller is knackered only had it 18monthe and used it about 10 times :x .
    Of course its about the bike! Although having the legs helps.