Well ive done it - Ribble sportive

ashtons99
ashtons99 Posts: 110
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
After missing all the summer being undecided about which sub 2k bike to go for Ive just placed my order on the Ribble sportive racing. I guess from previous threads on here I should have it just in time for the first black ice!!

Apparently the next delivery is due 14 sept.........whats the likelyhood of that does anyone think? Then I guess about another 3 weeks after that for delivery

Comments

• rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    congrats on finally taking a decision then :D It's a good bike though, won't regret it.

They might not be as busy building bikes as during the peak summer months, took them just over 2 weeks to deliver mine from the order date and that was back in july.
  • That would be good, although they dont have large size in at moment. If they do arrive 14 sept as they reckon today then I might get it before end of the month
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Good choice - be patient,it will be worth it. Think of all the upgrades you can do before next spring.
  • kingrollo wrote:
    Good choice - be patient,it will be worth it. Think of all the upgrades you can do before next spring.

Ive gone for the carbon centaur group set, vento wheels ITM bars and stem, white fizik saddle and white bar tape £1350 ish
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    ashtons99 wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Ive gone for the carbon centaur group set, vento wheels ITM bars and stem, white fizik saddle and white bar tape £1350 ish

Sounds good - will you use it this winter ? - What tyres does it have ? - don't forget to post some pictures
  • kingrollo wrote:
    ashtons99 wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Sounds good - will you use it this winter ? - What tyres does it have ? - don't forget to post some pictures

Vittorios red and black. I didnt really give a lot of thought to them to be honest. Its taken me 5 goes at uploading the spec today, it kept freezing on bar tape selection, I eventually got it through.
    The Ribble site is not bad but once committed to the shopping basket I cant find anyway of viewing or reviewing the spec. I just wondered if there is any scope to make changes after order but before build. Im happy with my spec but you know how things are......................another £75 wouldnt make much difference!!!............
  • rokkala
    Send Alan an email if you need to change spec, that way it should get dealt with bit sooner than in the mass of mail to the standard address. alangray@ribblecycles.co.uk
  • Takis61
    Takis61 Posts: 239
    +1, Alan was great with mine.
    I went with std. Khamsin wheels, Centaur, done 1100 miles since May including the Burgess Hill Rumble Challenge at the weekend, compact got me up Cobb Lane (20%) & Kidds Hill (the Wall). :)
    My knees hurt !
  • Takis61 wrote:
    +1, Alan was great with mine.
    I went with std. Khamsin wheels, Centaur, done 1100 miles since May including the Burgess Hill Rumble Challenge at the weekend, compact got me up Cobb Lane (20%) & Kidds Hill (the Wall). :)

Which rear cassette did you go for, Ive picked the 13-26 hopefully it will get me round although I was tempted to click on the 29!
  • I drove over to ribble yesterday so I could look at the frames in the flesh. The sportive is a stunning frame the simpleness of the colour pattern against the broad weave and curved lines certainately is stunning.

I wentr to look at the nero and the ribbelle for my self. Glad I did the ribbelle whilst being a lovely frame is spoilt by naff graphics, seriously spoilt. I had a great chat with the guy behind the counter who was uber helpful. Apparently a new ribelle will be out late this year early next year and apparently looks the bees knees. So I'm stuck now. If I do decide on a ribble whether to get the nero now or wait to see what the ribbelle is like.
    My credit card is burning a hole in my wallet and I've looked at that many bikes I just want one NOW! Even though it will probs hardly get used at all :?
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Humph
    Humph Posts: 31
    As others have said,good choice - you won't be dissapointed.

Got mine beginning of July after waiting 6 weeks but that was the early big demand period in May/June and well worth the wait.

Like you was frustrated couldn't check spec after placing order for 1400 quids worth of bike just for piece of mind. However one quick helpful phone call rectified that.

Went for carbon centaur like yourself with scirroco wheelset and red SI C2 saddle. They upgraded my Conti GP4000 to red Pro3 race at no extra cost due to no stock at time.

One minor point, if your getting new bottle cage(s) then look no further than black Specialized Rib Pro 09 (only £5) - apart from being decent cage it's colour scheme great match to frame. Fussy I know but details count :D
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    cool! I got a sportive with ultegra in july. They said 3 weeks, and it took 3 weeks. If you do go out in the rain be mindful of water ingress into the frame. I think it gets down the seat tube and headset. Hope you enjoy it I think it's a top bike for little money.
    Dave
  • First off Fungus the nero is an astonishing frame and the build finish on it is supurb i had the spec pictured on the website cost the best part of 2.5K but worth it ,

Ashton and Hummp it doesnt matter that you cant change the spec realy guys before build as it has already been said email alan he is a super helpfull bloke and using your ref he can change spec for you and even prob email you a revised spec sheet. Godd lic ashton wiht your bike the sportive is a great looking bit of kit, nearly had one myself this year and went to specialized instead. but onl cause i got a good deal at wheelies direct due to work discount!
    Great ride whatever you choose but i would personally pick the nero it has a simple design and the end product looks great ... Have fun!!
    G.H.Allum
  • Good choice - I built mine a couple of weeks ago with a Rival groupset and other parts I had from my old bike.
    3849433544_8d97c4a1b8.jpg
    3848633375_d9278d4618.jpg
    Weighs in a 17.5lbs for an XL.
    Due to a broke spoke and lack of spares I've only done 2 rides (110 miles) but it's an impressive bike for the money and deserves a wheel upgrade in the spring.......
  • Takis61
    Takis61 Posts: 239
    "Which rear cassette did you go for, Ive picked the 13-26 hopefully it will get me round although I was tempted to click on the 29!"
    Ashtons99, I went for the 12/25 cassette, did wonder if I should have got the 27 but I think the jumps between changes would annoy me, this seemed to work even for the 20% gradient sod of a hill.
    My knees hurt !
  • philo
    philo Posts: 46
    Hi, I just placed an order with Ribble for some shifters yesterday and they arrived today! They've MASSIVELY improved their delivery service so have faith.I have a Ribble Nero Corsa and it's just a cracking ride.
    Philo

Get free goodies by going here! (As seen on BBC Newsnight)
    http://gifts.freebiejeebies.co.uk/117914
  • Couple of questions for you about the Ribble Carbon Sportive. I have one in the XL.

What seatpost are you using? I have tried a 27.2 with a shim (I have a Spesh one that is a favourite) but it keeps slipping, even with carbon prep. I have tried two different shims with the same result. As a last resort I tried a 31.6mm alu post but it slipped mid ride too (and yes it is the correct torque and I am using carbon prep..)

Secondly, interested to hear someone else has had water ingress. I found a lot of water got into the frame when I washed it. Anyone else...?

Cheers,
    Col.
  • rokkala
    BigSpecs wrote:
    Couple of questions for you about the Ribble Carbon Sportive. I have one in the XL.

What seatpost are you using? I have tried a 27.2 with a shim (I have a Spesh one that is a favourite) but it keeps slipping, even with carbon prep. I have tried two different shims with the same result. As a last resort I tried a 31.6mm alu post but it slipped mid ride too (and yes it is the correct torque and I am using carbon prep..)

Secondly, interested to hear someone else has had water ingress. I found a lot of water got into the frame when I washed it. Anyone else...?

Cheers,
    Col.

Yea second time i went out on the bike it was during a massive rainstorm and i was out in it for 2 hours. Next day i'd went to check over bike and heard a sloshing in the frame when shaking the frame. Took out seatpost, turned upside down and must have had more than a pint of water in there!

As skinson said, it seems to come off the back tyre and go down the hole in the seat tube. I've put a raceblade on back wheel for when its raining and not had anymore problems. But i also cut a bit of old innertube out and used it to cover the hole on the seat tube just under the clamp and used black tape on it, can't even notice it on there and stops water getting in if your caught in rain when your out without the mudguards.
  • Ive just ordered the ribelle centaur, compact with 11-26 cassette. I am hoping it will be a lighter ride than my tricross :lol: . It will be my first proper road bike and can hardly wait. I am using cyclescheme to get mine so it may takle a little longer.. :( ....

Its good to hear the sportive and nero corsa get a good review..

Anyone else got the ribelle Ive not found many reviews

Andy
  • Thanks for your replies guys.

Just a quick one. Any views on the ITM K Sword bars and stem featured on the promo pics. They look great but are they worth the extra?
  • Just got mine with Centaur kit. All present and correct and delivered bang on the 4 weeks quoted. Website shows all sizes in stock. Very pleased
    Greetings from the wet and windy North west
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    I owned and enjoyed a Ribble Sportive from last September to earlier in June (only changing when a bargain Cervelo RS faremset was offered my way).

You won't regret your choice - it is a lovely balanced handling frame and always drew complements on sportives. On the seatpost front, I used a Thomson elite which I thought matched up quite well, and offered great fine adjustment. I liked the low-ish weight, but more so the build quality.
  • Black
    Black Posts: 172
    ashtons99 Was you able to get a test ride before you bought one?
    as i have heard that you cant test ride there bikes, is this true
    if so how do you know the bike is right for you!
  • Are they actually as light for the frame and fork as claimed? Think I read somewhere under 1kg for frame only?
  • I thought that was the frame weight not including forks. I think the forks aren't quite as light in relative terms. Not knocking it as a mate at work has just got one and it looks good, feels light and after a spin round the car park it immediately feels 'right' if you know what I mean. The gear and brake set up weren't quite right but I haven't read anything similar from others.