Turbos and Tyres

johna101
johna101 Posts: 21
edited September 2009 in Training, fitness and health
During Le Tour's initial time trial, I decided to knock the crap out of myself every day by doing a 15k time trial each day of the event at maximal effort. Over the first week I knocked a minute off my time, then for a few days I didn't improve, after which I gave up , grabbed a bag of crisps and a coke, and promptly gave up. (no wonder I've never amounted to much)

Anyway enough of the back story....

Last Saturday I tried again, and, not remembering my previous best and listening to some angry music, I did my 15k torture session again. I knocked 50 seconds off my best time, but only realised when I went to write it down.

Now, the problem is, that all this week, Ive tried, and failed, to get close to this again, and failed miserably. Did I imagine it? was I on drug? I don't think so.

The only difference I can think of is that on my record breaking sprint my tire pressure was low (as I could not be arsed going our to the garage for the floor pump), and since then the pressure was up at a more normal 100 psi.

I would have thought that low tire pressure would be a disadvantage, as there would be more chance of the tire slipping and being less efficient.

So, what do you think, does tire pressure have an effect, or should I stop watching the numbers and just go for it, eyes popping out of my head and everything?

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    If you 'knock the crap out of yourself', at maximal effort, you will need to rest...
    You can't keep repeating the ride expecting to improve, you'll just over train and drive yourself into the ground!
    Nothing to do with the tyre pressure, just rest between efforts. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    Thrashing yourself on the turbo expecting to better your last ride is not a good way to go. Just about everyone has a normal ebb and flow of physical ability day-to-day and you will only frustrate yourself chasing a target that you can't hit.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • OK, so it''s just my feeble body.I suspected as much. On the bright side, I suppose my new record stands then, and wasn't down to a tire pressure anomaly :)

It just feels a bit strange that I could suddenly generate an average of 15 watts extra during one session, then for it to go back to normal the next two.

btw I haven't been doing this every day this time round, just Sunday, Tuesday and Friday this week, and mainly in frustration to the rubbish weather we've been having up here. The every day thing was just a bit of Tour silliness so that I could empathize more with the riders suffering :evil: Had to retire with a cold a few days in :lol: