Has anyone fitted full mudguards on a road bike without eyes

Andy Clarkecp
Andy Clarkecp Posts: 48
edited September 2009 in Workshop
Hi and thanks for reading this post.
As it's "nearly" winter I am thinking of trying to fit full mudguards on my Bianchi C2C which is alu carbon with carbon forks.
It has no eyes, so I was wondering if anyone else has done this in the past.
If you have, and it worked, I would appreciate seeing some pictures or reading how you did it.
If you tried and it failed (or caused damage to your bike) I would also appreciate hearing what happened so I don't make the same mistakes.
Thanks again.
Andy

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    On an old Btwin bike of mine I had guards fitted with P-clips on the fork.

The important thing is the clearance between the tyre and fork at the top, my fork had a lot of clearance but I'd imagine the Bianchi doesn't have much clearance.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Gragi
    Gragi Posts: 448
    crud roadracer may be worth a look - new out and aimed at race bikes.
    http://www.crudproducts.com/products/roadracer

due in shops in September apparently
  • Thanks Gragi.
    Guess I'll be talking to my LBS next week. :D
    Andy
  • Just found a pair of these on ebay for £22.50 wit a buy it now..
    Bought so will let you know whet they are like.
    Andy
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    No. I need to see what I'm doing.

Sorry - unhelpful but just couldnt resist.
  • Hi

I second the P clip idea - I used them for many years successfully.

If you have a clearance issue around the fork or rear brake try a pair of Giant Defy Fenders:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/par ... 931/29207/

Basically, these are a snug fit to the tyre, and are cut away around the caliper area to avoid rubbing the tyre.

I have found them to be a very effective solution for one of my bikes with close clearances. On the bike they were designed for there is a bolt on the rear of the seat tube to fix them - I use a plastic cable tie instead.

Rgds

Pete
    www.bikesetup.co.uk
    miles more cycling comfort
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Crud have a new gizmo out - might be the Crud racer. Its reviewed today on

www.thewashingmachinepost.net
    M.Rushton
  • Use the plastic handle from an old paint can and cut,bend it around the the fork & stays. Drill and bolt the stays on. Takes aprx 10 minutes and make a neat safe job.

As mentioned by earlier poster make certain you have SAFE clearance or you will be visiting your dentist. Giant have very narrow profile mudguards designed for their Defy range but they are suitable for most frames that have low clearance
  • Gragi
    Gragi Posts: 448
    Andy,
    Have your roadracer muguards arrived yet? I'm very tempted, so curious to see what you think of them once you've had a chance to try them out.
    Cheers
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The Best Cycling Mags - 30% off the cover price - Pro Cycling - What Mountain Bike - Cycling Plus - Mountain Bike UK - Click Here

Is Stevie Wonder on bike radar ?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    dmclite wrote:
    The Best Cycling Mags - 30% off the cover price - Pro Cycling - What Mountain Bike - Cycling Plus - Mountain Bike UK - Click Here

Is Stevie Wonder on bike radar
    ?

That was my first thought, bit like pin the tail on the donkey!
  • The front Crud Racer looks okay, the rear looks pantaloons. Your lower legs, feet and chainset would still get bombarded with sh1te.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The front Crud Racer looks okay, the rear looks pantaloons. Your lower legs, feet and chainset would still get bombarded with sh1te.

I've got a set of these (hopefully - delivered to my sister's to avoid my parent's moaning about buying bikestuff),

They've got to be better than nothing - my feet get soaked on my Ribble with proper mudguards anyway. I'll just have to remember to wear those decent overshoes :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • The front Crud Racer looks okay, the rear looks pantaloons. Your lower legs, feet and chainset would still get bombarded with sh1te.

I've got a set of these (hopefully - delivered to my sister's to avoid my parent's moaning about buying bikestuff),

They've got to be better than nothing - my feet get soaked on my Ribble with proper mudguards anyway. I'll just have to remember to wear those decent overshoes :wink:

As ever I'm more than happy to be of assistance!!!
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    NapoleonD wrote:
    dmclite wrote:

Is Stevie Wonder on bike radar
    ?

That was my first thought, bit like pin the tail on the donkey!

I regularly practice stripping and re-assembling my bike blind fold. You never know when that's gonna come in handy.