Cassette and chain

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
In just over a year its looking like I need a new chain and cassette (in fact in less than a year, probably 8 months).

I need a cassette and chain for an 8 speed sora groupset.

Recommendations please?

:D
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• navt
    navt Posts: 374
    HG50 sprocket + HG53 chain is what I am running on the Genesis with the Sora groupset. Smooth as a baby's bottom.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    navt wrote:
    . Smooth as a baby's bottom.

I find this simile disturbing. Why would you know?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Get a chain with a quick link.

SRAM/KMC/Wipperman - take your pick
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Buy a chain wear tool so you don't have to buy a new cassette (or get a ruler out).

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#wear
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What ratio cassette are you after? Make sure you get one that is right for you and your rear mech.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Yeah, just get an 8 speed cassette with the right ratio for you.

There's not much you can do wrong, more money gets you lighter parts - but Sora's pretty low on the groupset tree, I wouldn't have thought it would be hugely worthwhile spending proper money on a new cassette.

Chain-wise, go with reddragon's suggestion of chains. Just avoid the shimano ones.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    DDD - I think I have a little used 8-speed Shimano cassette if you're interested.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • seems to be a run off between scram 12-26 (what i think you have) and 12-23.

Shimano offers more choice but largely the same ie not much difference.

12-21 - 12.13.14.15.16.17.19.21
    12-23 - 12.13.14.15.17.19.21.23
    12-25 - 12.13.15.17.19.21.23.25
    13-23 - 13.14.15.16.17.19.21.23
    13-26 - 13.14.15.17.19.21.23.26

the easy split/join chains are good advice though i think you already use them?

I'd be tempted to go for cheaper more robust parts than race parts which will get eaten alive by the coming winter's grot.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    I'd be tempted to go for cheaper more robust parts than race parts which will get eaten alive by the coming winter's grot.
    +1.

I'd suggest KMC X8 chain together with a Shimano HG50 cassette. And a Park chain checker.
  • ris
    ris Posts: 392
    and not forgetting the chain breaking tool you will need to get the new chain to the right length.
  • ris wrote:
    and not forgetting the chain breaking tool you will need to get the new chain to the right length.

and get a half decent one some of the cheaper ones/on multy tools break bend as soon as look at them.