Cleaning bike

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited September 2009 in The workshop
How often do I need to do this.

I went along a muddy trail today (although walked most of it) so will no doubt need to give it a clean. But after general road cycling how often will I need to clean the bike.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Depends on, for example, the weather and if you'e got a lot of guff on your chain, cassette, wheel rims etc. Getting the guff off will reduce wear. Tbh, I don't really have time to clean them until the weekend. However, after a night like tonight, best to give the rims and brake blocks a quick wipe before heading out in the morning.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Thanks. I'll give it a wipe down before the next ride and a proper clean at the weekend.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Can you remember what your bike felt like to ride the first time you rode it on a decent ride?

Do you want your bike to perform and look like that untill the end of it's life? If so.. clean the dirt off regular, usually after a decent ride, and at least once a week if you've been using it regular, clean the drivetrain, rims and break blocks.

I do this and my bike still feels like the day I got it 2800+ miles later, my other bikes never they always developed problems, never again.