Large Thighs - Good!

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
So apparently none of us cyclists will have heart problems simply because we have thighs like tree trunks....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8236384.stm
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Darn, no tape measure to hand. Then again, maybe not in the office.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Hmmm, i already struggle to get suits to fit because my thighs are disproportionately large, if i added another 10% :shock:

Oh, and the "reduces the risk of diabetes" bit hasn't worked for me either, not sure I'd have too much faith in their findings.
  • So does this mean us thin East Asians with 52cm thighs are going to die an early and painful death???
  • artaxerxes wrote:
    So does this mean us thin East Asians with 52cm thighs are going to die an early and painful death???

Most definitely. I'd end it now if I were you.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Just measured mine with a wire and a ruler, comes out at 28" :shock:

Think I need to measure again, though I have to buy baggy trousers to fit me, most 'normal' trousers with 36" waist don't fit as I can't actually get the waist up high enough :lol:
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I have the same jeans and clothing issues - thighs and bum too big for my waist size.

My wife also has large thighs......My kids are all well legged too, family trait!!
  • " though I have to buy baggy trousers to fit me, most 'normal' trousers with 36" waist don't fit as I can't actually get the waist up high enough Laughing"

Ditto. I hate jeans shopping. Went into H&M with the missus the other week. Saw some nice jeans. Tried them on. The conclusion I came to was that people who wear 'skinny' jeans have no flesh on their legs and have no testicles.
    Proper jeans for cyclists please.
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Any tips on where to buy suits for the larger thighed man? 34" M&S trousers look like lycras, but 36" look like clown trousers round the waist - very annoying! Not sure where else you can even mix and match jackets / trousers.
  • _Brun_
    You need to talk to Lyndon Johnson's tailor (skip to ~3:30).
  • A keen cyclist I used to know ended up having to buy ladies jeans because of the dimension changes - he never told people...

I will have to retire a favourite pair of jeans soon due to the pressing thigh issue...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • I remember a store on Oxford St called High and Mighty, are they still around?
  • _Brun_
    artaxerxes wrote:
    I remember a store on Oxford St called High and Mighty, are they still around?

I remember one of them in Glasgow but it shut down. Weren't they for massive but still reasonably proportioned people? Not much use for these mutated freaks of nature.
  • When I find a pair of jeans that fit I wear them to death....their's, not mine. Eventually they get holes high up between the thighs from rubbing together (I assume). The best pair I found recently were a pair of Columbia jeans. Maybe we should encourage them to cater more for the big thighed crowd like Cav.
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • I suspect the one in Edinburgh is there still - have suspicions of it anyway... One of the open side roads going from Princes St up to George St.

http://www.highandmighty.co.uk/
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    artaxerxes wrote:
    I remember a store on Oxford St called High and Mighty, are they still around?

It's in The Plaza on Oxford Street now, towards Tottenham Court Road end - think it's that, it's definitely a store 'for the larger male'.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • Big thighed people live longer....

Next week twill be thin thighs make you happier - lads tis just the meeja messin'

Me I'm just a bit fat, just a bit mind, glad I cycle otherwise I'd look like a spachopper
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • A Spa Chopper?

I shall let others come up with that could be and look like :D (its friday after all)
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Another study not so long ago concluded that being slightly overweight also made you live longer, better immune system apparantly.
    So stop cycling and dig out the pies!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Mine aren't big enough apparently, oh dear. See you all then. :cry:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    People with large muscular thighs linked to higher exercise levels and associated lower rates of heart failure shocker.

In other news from the Ministry of the Bleeding Obvious a groundbreaking study has concluded "Fat people linked to higher incidence of cookies".
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Matt.K
    Matt.K Posts: 105
    Dammit! I'm only 1 inch off living a long a happy life :cry:

So the question is, do I ride more or just eat lots & lots of pies? :D

I think I'll be happy with either one to be honest.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    It's in all the best online newspapers so it must be true...

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/soci ... 909042032/
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    rhext wrote:
    It's in all the best online newspapers so it must be true...

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/soci ... 909042032/

I was just getting my daily dose of mash before I came on here and saw that link. Love that website! :lol:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Stuey01 wrote:
    People with large muscular thighs linked to higher exercise levels and associated lower rates of heart failure shocker.

In other news from the Ministry of the Bleeding Obvious a groundbreaking study has concluded "Fat people linked to higher incidence of cookies".

:lol::lol:

Rudimentary equipment presently indicates that I have 62-63cm thighs.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    Stuey01 wrote:

:lol::lol:

Rudimentary equipment presently indicates that I have 62-63cm thighs.
    :? I seem to be at high risk of developing diabetes due to my dangerously thin thighs. Now, point me to that pie thread...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • 60-61cm for me - yay! :lol:
  • prawny wrote:
    Mine aren't big enough apparently, oh dear. See you all then. :cry:

Can I have your stuff?
  • I hate the silly way the findings are released wouldnt it be more accurate to say larger thighs as a percentage of waist circumference, as I have 26" thighs and a 28" waist at the moment... Its a blessing and a curse as I have to wear 36" waist jeans or they are might as well be made of lycra :lol::lol:
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • Mine aren't big enough. I have enough problems now getting jeans to fit my thighs without them getting any bigger!
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Skippy2309 wrote:
    I hate the silly way the findings are released wouldnt it be more accurate to say larger thighs as a percentage of waist circumference, as I have 26" thighs and a 28" waist at the moment... Its a blessing and a curse as I have to wear 36" waist jeans or they are might as well be made of lycra :lol::lol:

You would have thought that it should be as a percentage of waist circumference... But the BBC said that they had accounted for fat levels etc...

There are of course two routes to getting large thighs... and I suspect they have completely different outcomes.