Thread To Tell Everyone What Fettling You've Just Done

Comments

• choirboy
    choirboy Posts: 132
    Tried to bleed the Tektro Agura Comp brakes on the commuter but beaten by the fact that the nipple I'd bought here: http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/151/ts_auc_levbleednip/tektro-auriga-comp-lever-bleed-nipple-adapter.html to fit the levers is actually the one for the calipers. Can't seem to find the correct one anywhere. Meh.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Added a Smart dynamo powered rear light, fixed to the (would be) pannier attachment points on the Dawes Audax Supreme using the steel mounted rear reflector, wired up with a cable from a previous light (nicked with the mount snapped off, no use to anyone!) to the front, with bullet connectors to connect to a extension lead from my Edelux.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Road Bike: Changed rear tube (had slow leak)
    Re-tensioned gear cables
    Cleaned Frame
    Cleaned Chain and relubed
    Re-lubed all points that needed it
    Raised seatpost 2mm (see if that helps knee)

Urban Bike (Commuter):
    Screwed splash guard to downtube (stupid puddles)
    Fitted lights (as it's getting darker in the evening)
    Oiled chain
    Pumped up tyres to correct pressure

Nothing exciting :roll:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • FeynmanC wrote:
    I've bodged a tesco 3w c battery torch onto my Defy. Elastic bands, small part of an old inner tube, some pipe insulation foam and gaffer tape, plus a couple of strips of masking tape around the batteries to hold them secure in the torch, as they were rattling a little.

I took it for a ride down an unlit country lane a few minutes ago and it is plenty bright enough to do my country road commute - just have to work out how long the batteries will last and if it's worth getting a recharger and some C size rechargables - anyone got experience of this as i've only ever used AA rechargables before.

I too have a couple of Tesco torches, using the batteries that came with it I got around 1 hour of life before it started dying on me, however when riding over rougher terrain I noticed one torch kept flickering, does anyone know how to overcome this. I've no experience of C rechargables but will probably get some.

As to not divert from the original topic, I've cleaned my bike today, baby wipes and degreaser, but I'm too lazy to take it to pieces so just had a quick 15 minutes with it.
    That's my 2 cents,

Paul
    Wakefield

Hybrid - Scott Sportster P5 2009
    Road - Trek 1.5 2010

strava
    twitter
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Giving m'self a quick haircut yesterday and thought of the tale of a former colleague whose wife started his haircut without attaching the depth things, and gave him a stripe across the top of his head. I've often wondered how close these things trim, so I did my left leg. It gives a pretty smooth finish - not shaved, but smooth. Had to do the right leg to even things up obviously, but am now a smooth legged roadster. That was enough fettling for a bank holiday.

I'd like to report that this morning's commute was a flyer, but the ruck sack + laptop + week's clothes held me back a bit. I'll know tonight.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    New kool stop salmons fitted and chain, rings and cassette degreased and relubed with White lightening clean ride.

First impressions are ok the lube really lifts the dirt off the rings so although it looked clean after the first application, when I wiped the excess off loads of dirt came with it. I think by next week it'll be sparkly. Then I'll need a new chain.

BTW when peeps change their chain do you do it at 0.75% or 1% strech, I'm feeling the odd jump every now and then, and I don't want to have to spring for a new cassette as well.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    prawny wrote:
    BTW when peeps change their chain do you do it at 0.75% or 1% strech, I'm feeling the odd jump every now and then, and I don't want to have to spring for a new cassette as well.
    I did the big overhaul at the beginning of this year which included replacing the cassette, rings & chain but I bought 2 chains, and have swapped them through the year at intervals of about 1500 miles. A bit late for you I expect, but that's a good way of extending the life of the transmission components.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    prawny wrote:
    I did the big overhaul at the beginning of this year which included replacing the cassette, rings & chain but I bought 2 chains, and have swapped them through the year at intervals of about 1500 miles. A bit late for you I expect, but that's a good way of extending the life of the transmission components.

Yeah i've heard of that method, unfortunately I'm too tight/broke to buy one chain let alone 2 or 3 :?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Fitted slime tubes to my mums bike yesterday and adjusted her front brake.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    The missus' friend and her boyfriend came over yesterday afternoon, they'd asked me to have a look at his bike which "wasn't going very well". Within minutes Killboy and I had the bike was up on the workstand ready to be fettled.

Up on the workstand it became patently obvious that the cassette was missing a sprocket. Don't ask me how this happens, but it did! Fortunately I still had one of my old 7-speeders lying around (a 12-21 straight block from when I was still at Uni) - so we stuck that on.

Next problem became apparent - the mech was gummed up and the cables were so mucky the friction was crazy. A good load of PTFE lube into the deraileur pivots and a thorough clean and lube of the cables got the gears working smoothly. Next up was the brakes. More cleaning and lubing of cables plus simple adjustment of tension and trueing up the rear wheel got the bike running sweetly. A great feeling to start with a POS and a) get it humming again and b) discover that under all the clonking, squeaking and thrashing was a seriously cool old steel framed Spesh. Gave the bike back to its happy owner together with a shopping list, and some ideas for p1mping.

Next up was her bike. A recent eBay bargain Trek FX that both by description and the look of it had probably stood for a while in a damp shed. The rear deraileur just needed a small tweak to the indexing and otherwise the drive was a peach. We did find some horrors in the unbranded v-brakes - one front arm was siezed, both rears were very tight. Once again, PTFE to the rescue on the arms and cable cleaning/lubing for the sticky rear brake cable and it was all working (almost) like new.

After that, Killboy and I gave our steeds a bit of love (not that they have lacked at all this weekend). All in all a great way to spend a bank holiday afternoon. :)
  • Tyres to high pressure this morning can make such difference. Gonna have to give the old girl a good wash this weekend. I don't appreciate black rings on my right inside leg...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • After much turmoil, finally fitted my SKS Chromoplastic mudguards to my Tricross. The rear one didn't seem to fit, but found out that there was a fault.... a fault with the guy trying to put it on. All on now, but not a huge amount of clearance at the back, but that should not be an issue.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Provided the wheel still spins freely then it's a case of the less clearance the better with mudguards.
  • Finished rebuilding my Giant SCR1 as a geared commuter - added cheapo ocatalink 105 double chainset, realised the limit screws on my old front derailleur were seized, cannibalised front derailleur from good bike. Took out for spin and front tube exploded, think I had caught the tube between the rim & tyre. Realised I had run out of tubes, cycled to LBS on MTB, bought tubes and fitted. Finally sorted!
    <a>road</a>
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    Replaced forks on my MTB to find that I need a few different sized spacers to get it assembled correctly (about 3mm taller than previous forks!)

Also replaced my saddle for a nice new (brown) Charge Spoon :) Took the opportunity to give the seat clamp a good clean and a bit of grease. So much crud!
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Wow.

I just changed the cups on my bottom bracket.

I had to use a hammer to unscrew them, and then use the hammer again to knock the crank out (before I did this I was wondering for at least five minute how I'd unscrew the drive side cup as that crank arm wasn't budging with just elbow grease).

I also managed to work out that the ring inside the spider arm around the shaft was not a spacer but actually the plastic cover from the inside of the bearing of the old cup, it had literally become part of the unit, but I managed to get it off with pliers and use wire wool to get all the caked grease off.

All back together now though, quick shake down ride round the block tomorrow morning before setting off to the city.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Looked at how little life I've got left on the brake blocks. Still got the grooves/wear indicators showing but will change them at the weekend if everrything else goes to plan.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • [confession]

I haven't cleaned the Viner since Wales. I'm not quite sure how to go about removing dried-on mud.

[/confession]
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    [confession]

I haven't cleaned the Viner since Wales. I'm not quite sure how to go about removing dried-on mud.

[/confession]

Neither have I. But mine's been sitting in Velocity since the Wednesday (took it in to get the wheel sorted etc, they couldn't look at it till yesterday, said it was toast & I'm waiting on the Fulcrum 5s I've ordered). Warm water & car shampoo. Sponge vigorously. Rinse.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • redvee
    [confession]

[/confession]

Bad Girl :evil:
  • redvee
    Conti Ultra Gatorskins F&R with tubes to match and new brakeblocks on the front. Will do the rear blocks when the new wheel arrives midweek, might have to put a new cable on though as there isn't a lot spare at the brake end.
  • Done it, the bottom bracket's in :D The operation went smoothly too, and I can recommend doing things like this yourself; £7.99 for a splined BB tool, probably less than I'd have paid in labour (if 'd had a LBS to charge me labour), and a warm glow of confidence from a job well done. And no more tape over the BB shell, to stop wee beasties nesting in my frame!
  • Started off bleeding my front Avid Juicy 7 brake. Ended up stripping it right down to it's bare elements, drilling out one of the pistons and buying a service kit to replace the pistons, seals, bolts etc. Will be putting it all back together tomorrow at some point. Hope it runs nice and smooth after...
    My training blog, videos and other bike related stuff,
    www.bikesr4riding.com -- Twitter Feed
  • I got the £10 tesco 3w torch working again and redid the attachment to the stem. I've only used elastic bands at the moment, as i'm going to look into a better solution without having to spend too much.

I think it looks like a spaceship :oops:

photo.jpg
    us0.png
  • Nice big clean over the weekend, freshly lubed with re-tweaked brakes. What a joy to ride this morning!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Put my mudguards on for the winter - a much easier job than doing it last year now I have a bike stand.

Those Defy mudguards take a bit of fettling to get right - expecially with 25c's fitted.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Fitted rack and child seat to the GF's new bike. Should have been easy, except that the nice people in H**fords sold her a bike with disc brakes, and told her that her old child seat and rack would fit straight on.

They do fit, but only after I spent an hour making a special adaptor; I wonder whether all H**fords customers have their own bench vice and pillar drill?

Serves me right for letting her buy a bike without supervision.....
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • redvee
    Put a new cable on the back brake and now the back brake feels lousy compared to before the change :cry: The front brake squeals like a supergrass now I've put now blocks in and I did wipe the rim before installation. I've now got to tweak the tension in the front wheen spokes it soundls like a knock when leaning over to the left.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Just fitted a rack to the vapour
    It now looks like a shopper :cry:
    but my FCN went up :lol:

What's the FCN for a CX bike + mudguards+ rack anyway? I've always thought tourer category
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    [confession]

[/confession]

Hose bike down, leave to stand for 5 minutes. Do it again. You now have a bike covered in wet mud, which should sponge off easily.

Back on topic:

Gave commuter a thorough clean, degrease and relube. Noticed substantial play in front wheel, so stripped and serviced hub (v proud of myself for not c**king it up). Had to do slight adjustment of front brakes as a roadside repair last night (presumably didn't get axle back in precisely the same place, but now running beautifully). Next contemplating best way to deal with slightly creaking handlebars. If I take them off, should I grease the steerer before putting them back on?