Bad day yesterday.....

bristolpete
bristolpete Posts: 2,255
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Got hit for six by a car yesterday. Hand went through his light and is cut to pieces. Four hours in hospital. Had four x-rays on it. Nothing broken, but loads of glass removed. Have a hand that looks like a street fighters now!
Shoulder hit the car and the deck hard and had another 4 x-rays but nothing broken, but hurts like a mofo. Feels like someone is pushing down on my shoulder all the time.

Three police people, two ambulances and lots of blood, but to be honest I am so worried about my Kuota Kebel as not seen it since the accident and very worried about it. Only had it 8 weeks and loving it, but hope it will be ok. It was collected by a mate....

A few days off work now. Will miss my weekly big social ride. The paradox is that I have been putting some serious miles on the clock. 55 on Sat, 25 on Monday, repeat hill training through the week then this guy who in his own words 'got his hands caught in the steering wheel and thought he was going to crash into a parked car' decides to take me out when I simply went around the corner.....I think he was on the phone....get's out saying 'sorry, sorry, sorry' but what can you say when your led on the deck, one foot locked in one out, bike on top of you and you have skin hanging off your fingers with blood hammering out...? 'thats ok mate, lets go for a beer?'..not likely.

You could not make it up. He was taken to the police station and I am awaiting a call from the Police as apparently it will likely be submitted to the RTA section who will then decide if it needs to be taken further.

I could cry loads today, feel really deflated but trying to keep upbeat. Say a prayer for my bike folks!!!

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Glad to hear you're still with us. Sounds awful, but chin up, it could have been a lot worse!

At least the driver stopped and accepted responsibility.
  • Hope you're feeling better soon, and get back on the bike as soon as you can!
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    The only good thing about being injured is getting better. Hope you heal up quick.

If you've got the guys insurance details etc then get on the case with finding a solicitor. Even if your bike isn't wrecked, you've clearly got a personal injuries claim. There are plenty of other threads around with advice, but it's better to start getting the info together now.
    Best of luck.
  • Good to know your ok.

Sometimes a bike can be remarkably resilient when it's you that takes a beating. Hope it gets all sorted and you have a speedy recovery.
  • かわいそ!!! (Japanese for 'ahhh, I feel your pain')

You are still able to type a post on a message board, so count yourself VERY lucky.

Your injuries sound harsh, but you didn't damage any internal organs, or hit your head, so please count your blessings. Could have been MUCH worse.

As for the bike; yeah, I agree with pompeypoppy and hoolio; I got hit HARD when I was 16 (God, 14 years ago! I am old...)

I was on my S-Works MTB. I went to hospital and my bike went... well I am not sure!

When I got it back, it was pretty much fine, apart from some bent forks, a cracked lower headset race (which actually saved the frame) and a battered front wheel. The heaviest thing to hit the car, especially with today's technology was definitely (and unfortunately) you.

Even if your bike is totally and utterly DOA... It doesn't matter. You are still with us, and you can get another one.
  • dov2711
    dov2711 Posts: 131
    Hope your confidence recovers in line with your physical injuries.

I am amazed at how regular such incidents are.

Having returned to the road after a long absence its alarming to say the least how disrespectful drivers can be-I recently had the passenger of a white van lean out and have three shots at punching me for committing the crime of: being in front of him and signalling to overtake a stationary van which was parked in a cycle lane.

I also watched in horror as a van overtook my wife on a roundabout by nipping into the outside lane then cutting accross her causing her to unclip, steady herself then get going all while at huge risk of being hit by whatever came round the bend.

She's a waif like 5'6" so they were keen to stop and give it some verbals, not so keen when they realised there were 5 of us looking on and all keen to get in on the conversation.

A mate once suggested that folk should be asked to get on a bike and take a 10 minute cycle as part of their driving test. I laughed it off at the time, maybe there is a need for something which engenders empathy rather than finger wagging confrontation.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Hope you recover! I was recovering from broken femur due to Mtb crash, then 4 dog attacks being p/t postal worker, 18 mths of s--t to contend with. Still of work, but slowly getting better. Confidence returning.

Had a guy trap me - slo-mo crush - in white van. Drove forward and I couldn't unclip, was trapped next to low wall and his wheel arch. Drove off after, but witnesses got him bang-to-rights. BC insurance/solicitors got £800 from him, broke rear wheel, mech, rear swing arm on full sus. Ankle took a beating too. Driver was Ex-copper, claimed it was all my fault! Tosser...

Things get better slowly, but I did loads of upper body wts/circuits and indoor turbo sessions as road/off-road wasn't possible. Boredom worst thing.
    Good luck with recovery/insurance claim too!
  • vadarfone wrote:
    かわいそ!!! (Japanese for 'ahhh, I feel your pain')

You are still able to type a post on a message board, so count yourself VERY lucky.

Your injuries sound harsh, but you didn't damage any internal organs, or hit your head, so please count your blessings. Could have been MUCH worse.

As for the bike; yeah, I agree with pompeypoppy and hoolio; I got hit HARD when I was 16 (God, 14 years ago! I am old...)

I was on my S-Works MTB. I went to hospital and my bike went... well I am not sure!

When I got it back, it was pretty much fine, apart from some bent forks, a cracked lower headset race (which actually saved the frame) and a battered front wheel. The heaviest thing to hit the car, especially with today's technology was definitely (and unfortunately) you.

Even if your bike is totally and utterly DOA... It doesn't matter. You are still with us, and you can get another one.

Sorry to change the subject, but what you wrote actually means "cute" or "aaaah" as in the response you might make when seeing a little puppy or something. Except that you spelled it slightly wrong. The last character you wrote is the character for "e" as in the "ea" sound in "head", it should be "ee" as in the "ee" in "see", so the full word should read "kawaii" but you wrote "kawaie". Take the last character off and repeat the penultimate character for the correct spelling.

If you want to say "I feel sorry for you", or something like "you poor thing", you should say "kawaii soh". I would write it in Japanese characters for you, but I don't know how to do that on my work computer.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • vadarfone wrote:

Sorry to change the subject, but what you wrote actually means "cute" or "aaaah" as in the response you might make when seeing a little puppy or something. Except that you spelled it slightly wrong. The last character you wrote is the character for "e" as in the "ea" sound in "head", it should be "ee" as in the "ee" in "see", so the full word should read "kawaii" but you wrote "kawaie". Take the last character off and repeat the penultimate character for the correct spelling.

If you want to say "I feel sorry for you", or something like "you poor thing", you should say "kawaii soh". I would write it in Japanese characters for you, but I don't know how to do that on my work computer.

Actually ignore what I wrote above! It's hard to read Japanese characters on this computer and you have written "kawaii so", I think you just need to add the character for "u" for it to be spelled right. Anyway, I'll stop waffling - which part of Japan do you live in? I lived in Osaka for several years. Back in London now....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Hope you make a quick recovery. some tosser knocked me over last monday
  • Just to echo what's already been said, hope you get well soon mate.

Employ a good solicitor and get some good "compo". I used Bikeline,
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • At least you are alive and in one piece chap - thats the main thing, not the bike. Hope you get well soon.
  • vadarfone wrote:

Actually ignore what I wrote above! It's hard to read Japanese characters on this computer and you have written "kawaii so", I think you just need to add the character for "u" for it to be spelled right. Anyway, I'll stop waffling - which part of Japan do you live in? I lived in Osaka for several years. Back in London now....

Hi!

Yeah, I missed the う off the end. My mistake. Back at you, however (you started it...), it is not Kawaii Sou, it is Kawaisou. Just a single い :)

Anyway, it's all good. I live in Tokyo, but want to move out to the countryside to get more riding done...

Sorry to derail this conversation!
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Doesn't it all sound the same through your face masks!!? :wink:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    BUGGER!

I had a pretty bad spill in June. 2 days of hospital food etc. Felt( like your goodself) pretty hacked off. But... that soon passes & before you know it all will be well again.

Good luck & hope your recovery is swift.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Hope your recovery is swift
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    ww.cycle-aid.co.uk are who we used when my partner got knocked off her bike. i know it seems mercenary but you may need physio sessions, time off work,new bike kit/parts etc. If you had gone into him you can bet he would have tried to claim. The quicker you act, the more details you can remember. It took about a year for our claim to go through and although she got a reasonable amount we had to lay out for a new wheel,wheel truing,physio sessions and recently realised that her fixed that she had been riding had been bent out of alignment slightly on the rear dropout, so her intended respray will end up being a new frame.
    M.Rushton
  • Takis61
    Takis61 Posts: 239
    Awful experience, get well soon, the bike can always be fixed or replaced.
    My knees hurt !