Clash of the Vueltans

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited September 2009 in Pro race
The Magenta competition in the Giro was largely a non-event due to points being awarded on summit finishes as well (although the Pet-Cav battles in the first few days was interesting).

The Tour proved to be interesting with Hushovd and Cav, yet the sprints themselves were largely forgone conclusions.

So now the Vuelta. I am hoping for some great, classic sprinting. I really want to see Bennati perform in particular - my favourite sprinter but has had bad luck this year. He started off with some great wins in some lesser races.

As far as I see, the sprinters in contention are the following. Are any missing and who do you think is going to be on the money?

Farrar, Bennati, Ciolek, Boonen, Freire, Greipel
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• If EBH is there I think he can be included because he can score points on any stage, especially if he's leading out Greipel.

I'm not sure about Boonen, even if he makes it to the end (which I think he's said he's not) he's just not bothered about bunch sprinting anymore, he's following the Museeuw career path.

Similarly, I think Freire has said he's pulling out, or at least he's pulled out historically, and I personally think Farrar will win the most sprint stages.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Boonen and Bennati both have good history in the Vuelta but I see your point about Boonen. I don't like his sprinting style so for me I'm glad.

Farrar is definitely on good form but think he will be pretty tired and that a Sprinter's jersey in a GT is maybe a bit too much for him yet. If Bennati is on form I think he will get it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I'll go for Bennati as well. I just haven't seen anything from Ciolek, Greipel or Farrar to suggest that they are ready to take a points jersey in a GT yet.

It's a pity that Haussler isn't taking part, maybe he could give the big sprinters a run for their money in the Vuelta.
  • finchy
    johnfinch wrote:
    I'll go for Bennati as well. I just haven't seen anything from Ciolek, Greipel or Farrar to suggest that they are ready to take a points jersey in a GT yet.

If anyone wants next week's lottery numbers.... you know who to call. :roll:
  • Haha. I feel sorry for Bennati as he just hasn't had it in the last 6 months or so. I am certainly not a fan of big legs.

But there is hope for this glamarous and respected sprinter. 2010 he will be on form.

And let us not forget what he was up to last year.
    Giro12.1.jpg

He is simply too stylish.
    bettiniphoto_0027004_1_full.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • It looks like Greipel has a pretty hard lead to beat.

1 André Greipel (Ger) Columbia-HTC 99 pts
    2 Tom Boonen (Bel) Quick Step 75
    3 Borut Bozic (Slo) Vacansoleil 66
    4 Cadel Evans (Aus) Silence-Lotto 55
    5 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 52
    6 Daniele Bennati (Ita) Liquigas 51
    7 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Saxo Bank 50
    8 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin-Slipstream 47
    9 Robert Gesink (Ned) Rabobank 44
    10 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-NGC 42

9520_131727383484_683993484_2457962.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • finchy
    It looks like Greipel has a pretty hard lead to beat.

1 André Greipel (Ger) Columbia-HTC 99 pts
    2 Tom Boonen (Bel) Quick Step 75
    3 Borut Bozic (Slo) Vacansoleil 66
    4 Cadel Evans (Aus) Silence-Lotto 55
    5 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 52
    6 Daniele Bennati (Ita) Liquigas 51
    7 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Saxo Bank 50
    8 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin-Slipstream 47
    9 Robert Gesink (Ned) Rabobank 44
    10 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-NGC 42

Especially now Boonen's out.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Greipel was docked 25 points yesterday for finishing outside the time limit. But then again so was Bozic.