would a 2010 tarmac comp be a good first road bike?

racefaceec90
racefaceec90 Posts: 120
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
apologies if you have seen some of my other forum posts,but am just trying to decide what to save up for.(at the moment it's a choice between a full sus mountain bike,a new guitar,or a road bike.) the only road bike i have owned has been an old raleigh elan (green). would like to get a good one,if i did go for a road bike hence interested in the above bike.any tips (sizing etc), advice would be most appreciated.thank you :D

Comments

• Err, it's probably more expensive than you need for a road bike.

What are you wanting a road bike for. Racing, commuting, a few long weekend rides, sportives, touring etc.

What's your likely budget?

As for sizing, your best bet is to get yourself to a bike shop and try out a few bikes and get sized up there. Once you know, you can then look online for the bike you want, but for a cheaper price.
  • pompeypoppy,thanks for replying.i would like to use it for distance mainly (when i can get my fitness up to scratch.) i live in devizes wilts,would like to be able to cycle to new forest/bournmouth,so would like a bike that could do distance at speed(fitness permitting).also would like to use it in winter,as it's pretty atrocious riding offroad around pewsey vale/the ridgeway.
  • A tarmac 2010 is a good specced bike. Any new bike costing £500- £1500 will feel like a vast improvement on a Raleigh Elan.

Go try some out, and I think you'll find exactly what you want.
  • If you want it for winter use, check clearance and mount points for mudguards.
    Although the Crud Roadracer are probably an option anyway.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    It's a cracking bike, I have an 08 model and love it and been very happy all round with it; though I eventually changed the chainset from a double to a compact for climbing :wink:
    If you can afford it and have your heart set on it go for it, but first, as already noted, I'd for sure pop to your LBS that stocks what you want and get measured up and you can have a ride and try other bikes out for comparisson to make sure you get what's right for you.
  • thanks for all the replies.i must admit that the road bike is in the lead,of what to save up for. have always wanted a good road bike. as i have a decent mountain bike already,i think the road bike would be the best choice.i do like the above very much. :D
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    The Tarmac is way more than you need from a starter bike - BUT every time I start a new sport I buy a just-better-than-entry level bit of kit and rapidly outgrow it!
    It is a well specced and good value bike that is quite versatile being comfy enough for longer rides and racy enough for sportives etc.
    If its in your budget go for it!
  • ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    Wouldn't a Roubaix/Secteur be more suited to the OP's requirements - comf/long distance etc?
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    as i hav a spesh allez sport 08 (with bits upgraded). id say go for the tarmac comp, just make sure you leave a good bit of cash for the other necessary stuff. tho always test ride and never be pushed into a quick purchase.
  • roubaix secteur and then money left to buy the guitar, i reckon

• As for sizing, your best bet is to get yourself to a bike shop and try out a few bikes and get sized up there. Once you know, you can then look online for the bike you want, but for a cheaper price.

Slightly OT, but be wary of this approach. From the ethical PoV, it's rather dodgy tying up the shop's time on which they pay rent, wages etc. if you *know* you're not actually going to give them your custom. (Unless of course they know this and are happy with it.)

From a purely self-interest PoV, P off the bike shop in this way and you can't expect them to put themselves out for you in future re getting spares, servicing etc.. YMMV whether that's an issue, of course.
  • thanks for all the replies.i have finally decided on getting a 2010 giant anthem x4(have started to pay towards one).i saw the model last night,whilst i was looking at the bikeradar mountain bike forum,and was blown away by it (especially the price £1400 inc fox rl 100mm fork and shock).so that swayed it for me.thank you for your help. :D

• As for sizing, your best bet is to get yourself to a bike shop and try out a few bikes and get sized up there. Once you know, you can then look online for the bike you want, but for a cheaper price.

Slightly OT, but be wary of this approach. From the ethical PoV, it's rather dodgy tying up the shop's time on which they pay rent, wages etc. if you *know* you're not actually going to give them your custom. (Unless of course they know this and are happy with it.)

From a purely self-interest PoV, P off the bike shop in this way and you can't expect them to put themselves out for you in future re getting spares, servicing etc.. YMMV whether that's an issue, of course.

Didn't mean it quite like that, but I see how it came across.

I meant you can go online and check online prices, then go to your LBS and haggle a bit.