Knee/leg pulling sensation behind the leg

Brocade
Brocade Posts: 433
edited September 2009 in Training, fitness and health
Folks,

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about the following ailment I appear to have developed this year ? I have a slight "pulling sensation" running down the back of my left leg right above the knee joint when I am running or walking. I also feel it when I cycle but it's less prevalent. It's not stopping me from doing anything but I feel like I am starting to take shorter steps with my left leg even when I am walking.

Any thoughts/recommendatios ?

Regards,
Tolga
BMC Pro Machine
Enigma Ego

Comments

• Murr X
    Murr X Posts: 258
    Brocade wrote:
    Folks,

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about the following ailment I appear to have developed this year ? I have a slight "pulling sensation" running down the back of my left leg right above the knee joint when I am running or walking. I also feel it when I cycle but it's less prevalent. It's not stopping me from doing anything but I feel like I am starting to take shorter steps with my left leg even when I am walking.

Any thoughts/recommendatios ?

Regards,
    Tolga
    Always hard to say but iIs it just possible that your saddle height is too high? This can sometimes cause issues like you have described.
  • Brocade
    Hmm, yes possible. I do like a "high" ride. But would this be the case here as I only feel this pulling sensation in my left leg and much more when I run/walk, then when I cycle ?
    BMC Pro Machine
    Enigma Ego
  • Brocade wrote:
    Folks,

Do you do much stretching? I had similar problems because of cycling causing my hamstrings to tighten, and would only notice it when walking or running. I now stretch for a good 15 mins daily. Makes a big difference.
  • Brocade
    No, frankly I don't stretch. Probably should. Are you following some specific regimen or just a good all around stretch, reaching down to the toes, flexing this and that, etc. ?
    BMC Pro Machine
    Enigma Ego
  • Hi Brocade

been the doctors today because of pain behind my right knee at the top of my calf muscle,i've had the pain about week.
    When doing exercise the pain goes away but when i stop it aches
    there's no swelling just the pain in one spot at the top of the calf muscle.
    doctor say's i have pull a tendon told me lay off the bike for a few day's and take some pain killers with anti-inflammatory in it.
    told him we had some Ibuprofen he said they were fine.
    As this is what i've been told to do i'm going to do it,and stretch more i don't think i stretch enough.If it persist's you really should see the doctor just to be on the safe side.
  • Brocade
    Cool, many thanks, it feels like that, a "pulled tendon". Yes, definitely need to stretch more.
    BMC Pro Machine
    Enigma Ego
  • Brocade wrote:
    No, frankly I don't stretch. Probably should. Are you following some specific regimen or just a good all around stretch, reaching down to the toes, flexing this and that, etc. ?

Had a physio consultation and she gave me some good stretches which will isolate my own problems,but they're fairly generic too.

Theres loads of info on the web for good stretches, eg:

http://www.totalbike.com/November1999/stretch1.html
  • Brocade
    Cool thanks. Yep, I need to stretch more, that's it I think. Gym has some yoga/pilates classes, maybe those are an idea.

Although, last time I tried those back when I used to row, they sort of threw out my back.
    BMC Pro Machine
    Enigma Ego