Rain + steep corner + manhole cover = better than coffee

Kiblams
Kiblams Posts: 2,423
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
Had a jarringly wakening moment this morning when I was turning a corner at speed and failed to notice a manhole cover in the road (never made a mental note of it before either) and before I knew it the whole bike was sliding sideways. First wheel went first followed by the rear and then a look of shock and fear on my face as I continued my commute.

Lesson learned :D I will definatly be keeping my eyes open on wet commutes in the future!

Comments

• Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    You'll be searching them out soon to get that adrenaline rush again. :wink:
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Kiblams wrote:
    Had a jarringly wakening moment this morning when I was turning a corner at speed and failed to notice a manhole cover in the road (never made a mental note of it before either) and before I knew it the whole bike was sliding sideways. First wheel went first followed by the rear and then a look of shock and fear on my face as I continued my commute.

Lesson learned :D I will definatly be keeping my eyes open on wet commutes in the future!

Yes I try to avoid all road ornamentation at all costs lest I become one of them! :lol:

Did you actually come off or did you manage to control the slide and stay upright?
  • Kiblams
    kyoukoku wrote:
    Did you actually come off or did you manage to control the slide and stay upright?

I tend to stand when cornering fast (possible habit from MTBing) and so managed to stay on the bike :D still have no idea how I managed it :lol:
  • I tend to find my cornering at speed is fairly poor - is there a set technique to it? or is just practice?
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • d.n.f
    d.n.f Posts: 61
    Kiblams wrote:
    kyoukoku wrote:

I tend to stand when cornering fast (possible habit from MTBing) and so managed to stay on the bike :D still have no idea how I managed it :lol:

Standing up, I have no idea how you managed it either, normally you rely on you arse biting the seat to stay on in thems circumstances! :lol:
  • Bikequin wrote:
    I tend to find my cornering at speed is fairly poor - is there a set technique to it? or is just practice?

Well I could have said lean in massively as long as its dry and no manhole covers. Standing up is a new one while turning fast while commuting I have to say.

If I forget to stop cycling its not uncommon for me to hit my inside pedal and hop the back wheel slightly when cornering otherwise its up high and otherside is down.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    kyoukoku wrote:
    Kiblams wrote:

Yes I try to avoid all road ornamentation at all costs lest I become one of them! :lol:

It's always amazed me how far the front end can slide before you actually hit the deck, so long as you stay relaxed and go with the bike :shock: :lol: It's a great feeling when you come out the other end unscathed, akin to 'I am a cycling god!!!!!!' :lol: Just don't try and do it again or you will end up eating tarmac :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Kiblams
    If I forget to stop cycling its not uncommon for me to hit my inside pedal and hop the back wheel slightly when cornering otherwise its up high and otherside is down.

Yeah the inside pedal is at the top and outside is down, but my ass comes forwards off the saddle, I guess I have always felt more in control standing so cornering fast is one of those times I can't help but stand.

I have had the front end go from under me while braking on a corner (school-boy error) and managed to run out of it as my bike slid away from me on it's side, if i was sat down I would have been sliding with the bike... :D
  • Aye, though to be fair even if that position I've still clipped the inside pedal by being rather low on that side...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]