Someone's about to get wet...

_Brun_
_Brun_ Posts: 1,740
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

I'm gonna shelter in the pub till it's blown through.

Comments

• Well- I can confirm that there are some EVIL looking clouds over my house at the moment. :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Not just evil clouds here, the rain has well and truly arrived. Going to get soaked on way home tonight.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    It's sunny here.

Mainly because I was busy today so couldn't go out a decent ride. It'll also be sunny tomorrow (as I'm busy then too) then pouring the 5 days after that when I'm not.
  • http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/day ... ynes&day=2

this is the forecast for my arrival in Milton Keynes, after 110 miles, at around 16h00 to 19h00 on Friday :?
    us0.png
  • Chucking it doen here north of Glasgow, watching History Channel and dying of the flu....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Matt.K
    Matt.K Posts: 105
    mmm, read the topic title then looked out the window at work. It's been sunny all day and now looks like it's going to p*ss it down at about 4.55pm just in time for the ride home!
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    Its pouring in Devon and blowing about 35knots. At least I won't have to pedal too much with that sort of tailwind!
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • Got absolutely soaked on way in to work (Heathrow)

Leaving bike at work tonight for beer & curry.
    Collect bike in car tomorrow ;-)

Good timing for me (for a change)

Mike
  • K1LLB0Y
    K1LLB0Y Posts: 30
    edited September 2009
    I just got wet.....very wet. My first rain ride. Was fun actually. My bottom is wet. Mudguards look k@k, but they obviously serve a purpose. :lol:
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    probably me :roll:
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    I imagine I'll get soaked tonight but I'm flying to Egypt tomorrow morning so don't care :)
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Here in Derby the sky is apocolyptic and it has been raining on an off for the past 15 mins, the clouds are definatly warming up for a drenching when i leave work at 5:30 :?
  • yup, past few days it has rained every time i step out the building. might bring in clothes for the rest of the week tomorrow and camp here.
  • Tottenham here and we have had rain but not currently.

Still hopeful my 'rained on' count will remain at just 4 times since May 08!!!!
    Still breathing.....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Had been watching the radar all afternoon and planning on going about 4ish and just missing it but the phone rang. Got halfway home before it got really nasty! Mind, I've been in for 10 minutes and its stopped :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Near Tower bridge and I'll be heading away from the rain initially, hopefully I'll be able to avoid the worst of it...

Rain not a problem, it's the wind that cripples me yet the myriad of drafters I pick up seem fine :x
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • You should try south Wales. I swear, it's rained almost every day since the middle of June. I'm starting to take it personally.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Not working this week - hols - no commute, so didn't get wet.... although had head in/under the loo replacing the cistern valve !!!
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    K1LLB0Y wrote:
    I just got wet.....very wet. My first rain ride. Was fun actually. My bottom is wet. Mudguards look k@k, but they obviously serve a purpose. :lol:

Riding in 'summer' (cough) :roll: rain is great fun, it's like being a kid again, t-shirt and shorts and getting p iss wet through ... you can't beat it :)

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Wasn't too bad in the end, didn't even get run over when I could barely see through my glasses :D
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Thread pimp:

Silly commuting Rain Stats

I had the rain and a headwind...

Not so fast today.

BTW I find this site pretty good for rainfall radar:

http://www.meteox.co.uk I believe it is the Netherlands Metoffice.

You can add in your key locations and see what is happening in the whole of North Western Europe.
  • AndyManc wrote:
    K1LLB0Y wrote:

Riding in 'summer' (cough) :roll: rain is great fun, it's like being a kid again, t-shirt and shorts and getting p iss wet through ... you can't beat it :)

Yeah, it was actually pretty fun. I was also impressed at how well the brakes worked.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    The bad stuff really kicked in ust after I arrived home. Looks nasty out there.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    I think I may have punctured just in time! :shock:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Can I ride to work now as it's dry in Brizzle? Might have to resort to lycra rather than baggies for the RTW tomorrow along with the goretex.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I should've realised the 'someone' would be me. If I'd have gone home straight from work I'd have made it back without getting the slightest bit wet. However, it started raining during my second pint and after five I realised that I might as well just get it over and done with.

The reality of cycling home a bit drunk in the pissing rain is fortunately much more enjoyable than the prospect.
  • It was apocalyptically wet and windy here yesterday, from mid-afternoon until middle of the night at least (when the rain last woke me).

Fortunately before it started I dropped the bike off for its free first service, and bought enough food and beer to keep me for a few days, so I have no reason to leave the house at all !

Just got back from a 2-week holiday and am disturbed to see that the UK seems to have passed directly into winter :(
    Misguided Idealist
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Absolutly threw it down on my ride home from work last night. Got in and went straight into the shower, only to find that someone had used all the bloody hot water bathing the dog. Bloody kids :evil:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    I am focusing on running for the next two weeks as I have stupidly entered a mountain marathon. I went out for my second training run last as I thought it would give me a taste of potential mountain weather. 2hours and 13 miles later I got home, covered in mud and with a left nipple rubbed totally raw :shock: Lesson number 1 has been learnt!

p.s. no rubbing from the saddle though :D
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Didn't get that wet, but the roads were incredibly slick.

Wheelspin off everything, I swear that it must have been raining oil.