Vittoria Rubino-are they made of Kryptonite?

sturmey
sturmey Posts: 964
edited September 2009 in Road buying advice
I will admit that I began cycling at a time when there was no such thing as kevlar in tyres and punctures were a depressingly familiar experience.

But these Rubinos at 8 quid each have not let me down once in 3k miles in all weathers. Is this the experience of most people with the newer generation of kevlar-belted tyres? Regardless of brand?

Comments

• Steve928
    Steve928 Posts: 314
    I think that Rubinos only have the usual Vittoria 'PRB' puncture protection i.e. 'a layer of high density nylon'. No kevlar in there AFAIK.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    http://www.vittoria.com/index.php?optio ... Itemid=116

they do indeed have kevlar and they roll so well :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Rezillo
    Rezillo Posts: 95
    They have Kevlar but reading Vittoria's website and catalogue, I'm not sure it's there as a Kevlar belt for puncture protection. They have " Kevlar® Endura 3D Compound" which is :

"Kevlar® Endura ensures superior tread-life; very good grip, on all roads; low energy absorption"

It seems it's just there for general tyre strength, wear and good rolling resistance

They have "PRB" listed for puncture protection which is:

"A thin lightweight but extremely strong layer of high density nylon is placed under the tread in order to achieve maximum puncture protection while maintaining low rolling resistance".

They came with my bike - I got a stone chip puncture on the second trip out with them :(

John
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i think they are excellent - a bargain really and like the OP have rarely had a problem with them.

I bought some 'posh' tyres for my S-Works roubaix as I felt I must be missing out by just having cheap tyres on it - changed them to vittoria Open Corsa Evo's which even on offer were a whole load of cash - they do feel better but probably not by as much as the cost!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Tyres have come along in leaps and bounds these years. I[d also rate the Conti GP 4000S too - had those on the summer bike for 3 or 4 years now - never had any problems at all.
  • yakk
    yakk Posts: 589
    Used these as my basic training tyres for a few years now and for the price they're difficult to beat - not the best grip in the world in the wet (I just adjust my riding) but last really well and don't p*******e often at all. They do end up with cuts like all other tyres, but don't seem to wear out so quickly.
    If money were no object I'd probably end up with something better-gripping, but they get my vote.
    Yak
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    sturmey wrote:
    I will admit that I began cycling at a time when there was no such thing as kevlar in tyres and punctures were a depressingly familiar experience.

But these Rubinos at 8 quid each have not let me down once in 3k miles in all weathers. Is this the experience of most people with the newer generation of kevlar-belted tyres? Regardless of brand?

Where'd you get 'em @ £8 each?
    Cycling weakly
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    IME the grip in the wet can be a bit sketchy, but at £8 apiece, who's complaining?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • The Rubino Pro have the kevalr. They are bomb proof as long as they are correctly inflated otherwise prone to pinch puncture like any other.
    O na bawn i fel LA
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    IME the grip in the wet can be a bit sketchy, but at £8 apiece, who's complaining?

I am. Despite the numerous posters that sing the praises of Rubinos, I has such a bad experience with a set of Rubino Pros in the wet (wheel spins and slides followed on the next ride by a crash whilst already riding cautiously) that I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. However cheap a tyre is, if it won't stick to the road in the majority of riding conditions then it's not worth it... I'd rather pay more and not end up under a car!
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    I am. Despite the numerous posters that sing the praises of Rubinos, I has such a bad experience with a set of Rubino Pros in the wet (wheel spins and slides followed on the next ride by a crash whilst already riding cautiously) that I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole...
    Me too! I used to use regular Rubinos and found they were fine in the dry. Add a bit of rain though, and the result was generally locked wheels when braking. On one occasion I turned into a corner and ended up performing an impressive speedway-style drift during which I was lucky to stay upright!
  • Meds1962 wrote:
    The Rubino Pro have the kevalr.

Yes, in the folding bead and in the compound ("improves wear but also enhances grip and reduces rolling resistance"), but not in a puncture-resisting 'kevlar belt' as referred to by the OP.
    The Puncture Resistant Belt is NYLON.

Now, 'PRB 2.0' is an aramid fibre belt, but you don't get that on the budget Rubinos..
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    what do vittoria have that would be equal to michelin carbon krylion?
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964

The rigid Rubinos are £8 something at a friendly mail order place just south of the River Ribble.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    sturmey wrote:

The rigid Rubinos are £8 something at a friendly mail order place just south of the River Ribble.

Thanks, I'd just spotted them - I see £8 is for the "standard" wire bead version, rather than the kevlar folding "pro" version. Shame, I thought it may have been the Pro's on offer somewhere. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    sturmey wrote:

I've found the Rubinos to be excellent tyres, particularly the Rubino Pros ( which cost a bit more than the standard ones) - (used both types though) - both have adequate enough puncture protection - Currently running the new Diamante Pro's (190g) for trainng and Dia Pro Lite's (170g) for racing.
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    I did the wet, but looked only moist adhesion road test( the w.b.l.o.m.a.t for short) on my way home tonight. They failed! Down like a sack o spuds I went. No harm done. A graze or three and a scuffed lever. Cheap they may be grippy they ain't. Won't be able to vouch for their puncture resistance as some Conti Ultra sports now grace the Ribble ( winter/audax job...came with Rubino's)
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    I have used both the Rubino and Rubino Pro with good results. The issue with grip has not been a problem as I tend to be quite carefull in the wet. I did have a pair of Conti Ultra Sports but suffered endless punctures.
  • buddha
    buddha Posts: 1,088
    bobpzero wrote:
    what do vittoria have that would be equal to michelin carbon krylion?
    The Open Pave. Pricey though. And green :?

I compromise with a Krylion Carbon front and Rubino Pro rear.
    <center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>