Rack Mounting problems

CTML
CTML Posts: 53
edited September 2009 in Workshop
rack.jpg

So i managed to fit the rack onto the dropout mounts but have encountered a problem to attach the 2 prongs onto the frame mounts. I've got a small frame which means the rack mounts are pretty much right behind the rear brake therefore i can't get the left prong onto the mount no matter how i twist it. I'll only be carrying around 20kgs so will the single prong on the right be enough to support the weight? and are there any ways to get the other prong onto the mount?

Comments

• careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Maybe a silly suggestion, but could you swap the prongs over (the right one on the left of the frame and vice versa so that they are well clear of the brake I seem to remember doing this once - the prongs probably need a little bending.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I had a similar problem with my wife's bike. I fitted an "Mparts" seat collar which has carrier mounts. Then mounted the carrier stays to this.... it cost about £6 (Wiggle link)

mpart%20spt102.jpg

There are other manafacturers (Axiom, Giant among them), but the main thing is whether you can remove your present collar and fit this item.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • You could try bending the rods in a vice, see these instructions from Tubus.

Your single rod solution could work too. Tubus sells a very light rack (the Fly) with a single rod. It's good to 18 kilos.
  • CTML
    CTML Posts: 53
    Brilliant guys, thanks for the info. I think i will get a seat clamp with rack mounts
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    CTML wrote:
    Brilliant guys, thanks for the info. I think i will get a seat clamp with rack mounts

Check that it will fit!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)