at Astana:

Theo De Rooy

Comments

• teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    at Astana:

Theo De Rooy

Oh dear.

I thought better of him than that! No wonder he was cagey on Dutch TV during the Tour.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Mr Cover Up chez Rabo. What a great idea.
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    Kléber wrote:
    Mr Cover Up chez Rabo. What a great idea.

Kleber why so negative all the time and why take the thread down a doping track?

hes got more to ofer than that
  • Kléber
    What I am supposed to say? The guy was involved in one of the most sordid scandals in our sport.

Plenty of other DSs have things to offer but this guy was involved in a bad cover up. Astana, especially when under the spell of Vino, already have a bad influence and the hiring of someone with a clean reputation would do them wonders.

Besides Rabo did not win that many races under De Rooy. He (and Breukink) signed many big cheques for decent riders but they were frequently outfoxed in the final miles of a race, which suggests he's not a tactical genius.
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    Kléber wrote:
    What I am supposed to say? The guy was involved in one of the most sordid scandals in our sport.

Plenty of other DSs have things to offer but this guy was involved in a bad cover up. Astana, especially when under the spell of Vino, already have a bad influence and the hiring of someone with a clean reputation would do them wonders.

Besides Rabo did not win that many races under De Rooy. He (and Breukink) signed many big cheques for decent riders but they were frequently outfoxed in the final miles of a race, which suggests he's not a tactical genius.

Well theres no arguing he hasnt emerged as a tactical genius but equally there are few if any DS that could not be deemed tainted by doping at some point in the past. The Hog for example is probably one of the dirtiest DS there is but equally knows how to win a race or 9. like wise Riis and almost all the succesful DS of the last 20 years.

Oh no i can see this descending into doping DS now. Appologies to all ill get my bag :(
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Astana aren't looking for DS' only, they also need a team manager. Apart from de Rooij, who's available now that has true experience. Calling Bivert back would probably be out of the question. Ferretti doesn't seem in a hurry to come back to the forefront. Of the people I can think of, I'd have picked de Rooij immediately. He kept one of the biggest teams around running quite well for some years with Breukink, even though results didn't always match budget.

Besides, it is a good bet that all the negative attention will go to Vino and no one but "foreign people" will fall on de Rooij. Let's face it: if you now work in cycling and have any sizable experience, there's a skeleton or two in your closet. Reputation comes second to one's capability of doing the job.
  • Kléber
    Roger Legeay would have been a better pick, there are decent candidates out there.
  • Legeay is semi-retired now , I doubt he'd want the fallout that Vino and Astana are going to go through .
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Legeay is also signed to Sky, albeit on some sort of 'consultancy' basis.
  • And he has a Mr Clean reputation to think of.
  • Will be announced on 24th of Sept, and is Italian, according to Proskurin.

" While I can only say that this is an Italian, who has experience of successful work in the four professional teams".

Those Kazakh's, such a tease! :?
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Guiseppi Martinelli, ex-Mercatone Uno/Saeco
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    And here was me thinking it would be Borat.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I reckon Astana has one more season in them at the most, so it doesn't really matter too much.
    Twitter: @RichN95