FSA compact chainset

gkerr4
gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
edited September 2009 in Road buying advice
This looks like a bargain - am I missing something?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=41442

Also - I think it comes with a BB but can't tell if it is the Hollowtech2 type that FSA call Mega-exo - I mean I know it is called a "mega-exo" but it also mentions 19mm - I thought they had all standardised on 24mm? - or does that explain why it is being sold off? - if it is, and as long as it comes with a BB then does it really matter at this price??

they do an alloy version for £29.99!

any thoughts?

Comments

• pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    FSA Omega MegaExo was never all that expensive, though 50% off is great.
  • gkerr4
    I was looking for a campag UT one - but even a Mirage UT compact is going to cost £70 + £13ish for the UT cups - so this is a bargain if it is OK.

It's only for the winter bike really - I just want the same gearing as my 'posh' bike which is compact now.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    yup, a bargain. Basic, but worth it for the rings alone.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    When a replacement MegaExo BB is £32, not buying one of these is just daft - I ordered a Gossamer Cyclo Cross chainset for £40 - I was actually just looking for a 46 tooth chainring to go on my cross bike, but at the price and withe the cranks and BB thrown in, it was hard to refuse.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • gkerr4
    I've ordered it at lunch today - so I will soon see if it is OK - I figured, as you say, it was surely worth a go.
  • rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    I've got one. It does have a smaller diameter axle and bb (the bb comes with it) at 19mm rather than the standard 24mm FSA/Shimano one. Works fine though.
  • gkerr4
    rjsmith wrote:
    I've got one. It does have a smaller diameter axle and bb (the bb comes with it) at 19mm rather than the standard 24mm FSA/Shimano one. Works fine though.

thats perfect - thanks, just what I was looking for (although I have already ordered it) - a bargain with the BB at that price.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    :shock: Just got a Gossamer triple, just what I needed for my Ribble.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • gkerr4
    why the shocked look red? - did you get it from CRC too?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    gkerr4 wrote:
    why the shocked look red? - did you get it from CRC too?

I've been looking for a bargain triple for a while, checked CRC loads of times over the last few weeks, your thread got me to look again, and they had gossamer triples for £40 (I didn't want the £30 triple). I got a Gossamer compact last year for £75 which I thought was cheap, so I had to jump at the triple.

I would have bought the C-X chainset too, but I don't really have any money
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sorely tempted with this for the Litespeed...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=41438

But just bought a new Dura Ace BB, would that be compatible?
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I have the FSA Omega on my Focus. Apart from being bloody heavy it runs fine.