why 'THAT' bike?

2»

Comments

• bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Ibis Tranny

I wanted a lightweight singlespeed build but wasn't confident in converting an XC whippet frame so I wanted something specifically made for singlespeeding.
    I didn't want Aluminium as I am coming from a history of several 80s and 90s alu hardtails and while I know that modern alu frames are often built to be a lot more compliant I was not in a position to test ride one (Belgians think Singlespeeding is a bit odd to say the least, so stck levels are non existant

I ended up with the following shortlist

Take a punt on a Sliding DO scandal
    Ibis Tranny
    De Kerf
    Van Nicholas

The dekerf and Van Nicholas were both using EBB, which seemed an effective but lardy solution. The De Kerf can be specc'd up with sliding drops instead though.

then I got the opportunity to snag a Tranny as Mrs B was on a trip to Canada and a bike shop I know in Toronto was able to get one for me.

I'm happy with my choice, my first carbon bike, it's nice and light (although not as light as they claim and not as light as the current crop of 1kg CF HTs out there) but it's pretty, comfy as hell yet planted and stiff. makes me want to more singlespeeding in bigger, gnarlier areas where I'd normally take the Evil, so it;s worked out well. The original build was with a carbon rigid fork, but it felt unbalanced. Much better now with a SID Team up front
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Giant Trance X5

1st full sus.

Frame is same as top of range Trance's. Highly upgradable. Light.

Like the colour, didn't like the specialized XC Expert that I was going against for the same price (at point of sale).

Next bike, well I dont know.... i am looking at DH set ups now but that will mean selling either my hardtail or my full sus, dont have the room...so it's just in my head at the moment.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    456:

looking for a long forked trail bike, rave reviews liked the colour. As for the spec i knew it was all good stuff.

Inbred, it was really cheap 2nd hand and i knew i'd like it cos of the 456.

Scott: had a slightly different one, mate offered me a great price frame only.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    For me, it was mainly the testride- I was curious in the Soul but to be honest I didn't feel my cheapy Scandal was too lacking, when I booked the test ride it was more or less to use the Soul as a benchmark. But unfortunately, after one ride on the Soul the Scandal felt terrible and I ended up buying the frame :roll:

It's basically just down to the ride, I don't know why exactly but it ticks all the right boxes for me. Reasonably light, fantastic handling, climbs well, bombs down mountains well. Good do-it-all bike which is what I wanted. There's bound to be others that can do the job just as well or even better but I went with what I knew.
    Uncompromising extremist