Help me spend my summer job money correctly...!

x8swift9x
x8swift9x Posts: 268
edited August 2009 in Road buying advice
Right, hello and welcome. Sorry to start yet another 'what bike for £x' thread, but I would like some pointers! I have managed to save £1300 this summer and its all for my new road bike :)

My only idea so far is a,

Ribble Sportive, Group: Veloce. Wheels: Askium / Campag Vento wheels (Approx. £1,150)

Planet X SL Pro is the only other on my Shortlist, BUT...I have a thing for sloping top tubes! So not too sure about that.

Could anyone reccommend any other worthy stallions W/ sloping top tubes that fall into the budget? And if the ribble choice/spec is silly in your eyes, let me know!

The bike will be used for Tri's/and my 'good' bike. Can't wait to get off my Dawes giro 300!

Cheers, Kieran.
Road: Felt AR0, Di2
Touring/commute: Dolan Multricross
TT: PX Exocet Sold because it was like a sail in the wind (sh*t)

Comments

• x8swift9x
    x8swift9x Posts: 268
    scrap the sloping top tubes only idea. Thanks
    Road: Felt AR0, Di2
    Touring/commute: Dolan Multricross
    TT: PX Exocet Sold because it was like a sail in the wind (sh*t)
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    scrap the sloping top tubes only idea. Thanks

That's what I call seeing sense!

I'd take Planet-X over Ribble any day of the week, there's been many good write-ups on their good customer service.

How about Kuotas, or even the Cervelo S1 frameset? I know the Cervelo is aluminium but it's ideal for tackling triathlons on and it comes with fork, headset and flippable seatpost.

As for parts, good choice with the Veloce, though you might want to pick something like Easton EA50's if you want deeper wheels for triathlon. I would take the Vento's over the Aksiums, but only because they're my "option" wheels with Stelvio tyres for my Van Nicholas titanium bike!